Anyone use old freezer for food

Help Support Homesteading Forum:

Caribou

Time traveler
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I use an old freezer to store tools and items that won't rust like flower pots. It is outside and quite moist inside. I open the door and let it dry each summer. Perhaps an inside location would help keep the moisture down. I won't even put cardboard in mine.

phideaux

Spectator of Life
Staff member
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I store sealed items in an old chest freezer in an outside shed. No mice or bugs.

Canned goods ,toilet paper.
But
I put a bucket of charcoal in there.

I put some deer feed corn in open container , in an old fridge and it rotted.

Jim

Last edited:

Spikedriver

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I've known people to store horse feed and pet food in old freezers but it was food that was used every day, so it got rotated often. It was great for keeping rodents and moisture out. I wouldn't expect it to stop rot during long term storage though...

lilmissy

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Thanks everyone. I have one in my shed with my bee keeping stuff . A few of my bee frames had mold on it when I checked the other day. I was going to put chicken feed in for my 8 chickens, so it wont be rotated quickly cause they free range. i might just use it for gardening items.

LadyLocust

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I had one for years that I kept grain in - never molded, but seals were good so maybe that's an issue with some. I was into it daily so it didn't go for long periods of time without being opened. Same reason and results as above - to keep mice out!

Peanut

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
We have an old fridge in the shop. We store livestock/pet medicines in it. After a few decades it looks like a mini drug store. Most of those type items are in a bottle or sealed container of some type so no mold. In the freezer compartment we store seed harvested in the fall for the next year, fairly temperature stable. Also keeps mice out.

A couple years ago I bought a new fridge. The delivery people took the old one away for $20, didn't need the storage.

Latest posts