Anyone use old freezer for food

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use an old freezer to store tools and items that won't rust like flower pots. It is outside and quite moist inside. I open the door and let it dry each summer. Perhaps an inside location would help keep the moisture down. I won't even put cardboard in mine.

we turned our old refrigerator into a raised bed lol I plan to do the same if the freezer ever gives up also

I had one for years that I kept grain in - never molded, but seals were good so maybe that's an issue with some. I was into it daily so it didn't go for long periods of time without being opened. Same reason and results as above - to keep mice out!

We have an old fridge in the shop. We store livestock/pet medicines in it. After a few decades it looks like a mini drug store. Most of those type items are in a bottle or sealed container of some type so no mold. In the freezer compartment we store seed harvested in the fall for the next year, fairly temperature stable. Also keeps mice out.

A couple years ago I bought a new fridge. The delivery people took the old one away for $20, didn't need the storage.

Kitty litter. I transported 6 chest freezers when I moved. They sat out in the open on a flat bed transport truck for three months. They were dry inside along with their contents when opened at the 4.5 month mark for un packing. There was around three inches in each freezer.

A bowl of marine dehydration crystals would probably work as well.

Kitty litter. I transported 6 chest freezers when I moved. They sat out in the open on a flat bed transport truck for three months. They were dry inside along with their contents when opened at the 4.5 month mark for un packing. There was around three inches in each freezer.

A bowl of marine dehydration crystals would probably work as well.
Agreed.

The corn mentioned earlier in this thread probably had enough moisture to invoke the rot.

Ben

Back