Anyone watching today's Superbowl?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another ad that got my attention was the Temu ads. I had never heard of the company before. Well, Temu is another Chinese company that is attempting to cash in on the US consumer. There is a lot of controversy about the company.

1707773045277.png

Last edited:
Mad at the WOKE crowd. Not at you. The money those players make is obscene. The 49ers total team salary this year was over $158 MILLION. Think how many homeless vets you could house and feed with a small portion of that.
Hope you don't mind the edit.

The whole strategy of football seems to be "not to play the game". They do everything they can to run down the clock (while doing nothing) - standing around, running out of bounds (or throwing the ball there), calling timeouts, feigning injuries. Who would want to watch that? I was mildly interested in turning it on to find out what position Taylor Swift plays since she's been getting so much media coverage leading up to the game, but I couldn't even bring myself to do that. So I just cooked and washed dishes instead.
I know I sound like a crabby old lady here, but honestly, I really never understood the big deal about football of anything that involves people chasing balls on a field or a court. Really, what is the purpose? I think of all the money that is spent on watching the ball go wherever it is going, people chasing it, and when one group gets more points than the other group, they win. The amount of time and money that is involved in this whole deal is just crazy imho.

Taxpayers build the stadiums and arenas for these "talented" people to play on or in while they make crazy salaries. It is a totally ridiculous set up imho.

Another ad that got my attention was the Temu ads. I had never heard of the company before. Well, Temu is another Chinese company that is attempting to cash in on the US consumer. There is a lot of controversy about the company.

View attachment 124384
I completely agree. And I have been saying this for decades regarding foreign brand automobiles. Yes, some workers are in the USA now assembling the parts for the "import" brands but once the profits flow uphill a big skim of that money goes back to daddy in whatever country they are based. And, yes, the big 3 (or 2.5) are buying parts (electronics especially) from other countries at least the skim is staying in the USA, or Canada. Did you know Ford, GM, and Chrysler have factories on both sides of the Detroit River? They made use of both sides of the river to give them more ports for loading and unloading product on ships. Some people in Windsor work in Detroit and some people around Detroit work in Windsor.

But, as for Temu, at least their advertising dollars are mostly staying in the USA. :cool:

I know I sound like a crabby old lady here, but honestly, I really never understood the big deal about football of anything that involves people chasing balls on a field or a court. Really, what is the purpose? I think of all the money that is spent on watching the ball go wherever it is going, people chasing it, and when one group gets more points than the other group, they win. The amount of time and money that is involved in this whole deal is just crazy imho.

Taxpayers build the stadiums and arenas for these "talented" people to play on or in while they make crazy salaries. It is a totally ridiculous set up imho.
My wife watches football. I think it is the boys in tight pants.

I could not give less of a rip if you paid me. The NFL can pound sand and anyone who takes a knee is dead to me.

. Really, what is the purpose?

It is a game. Over the last 100 years or so in this country it has evolved into a multi-billion dollar industry, but essentially it is a game, and games have been around for thousands of years in every corner of the globe. It is what humans do to entertain themselves. IMHO it is also what humans do to challenge or test themselves. There will always be a competition to see who is the best at something.

The Greeks started the Olympics. The Romans had the Gladiators. Knights had tournaments and jousts and duels in the Middle Ages. Mexican Vaqueros started rodeos. There have always been, and will probably always be games. This is just our version in our lifetime.

I agree with this. That’s why I don’t watch football very often. My oldest son played soccer into adulthood and I much prefer soccer. Non stop action and those players are real athletes, running constantly. And I also agree, the coverage in Taylor Swift was very annoying. Maybe that was the most interesting part of the game?
NOPE! Not for me. I absolutely hate the way the camera went to her so often. Not interesting at all. Just more noise. I had stopped watching Chiefs games during the season because of the constant pandering to her.
My wife watches football. I think it is the boys in tight pants.
LOL, you just might be on to something there. I do like the manliness of it.
To me, it is simply a game, entertainment that I can have on for background while I'm on the computer or doing something around the house. Now that the season is over, the youtube tv subscription is cancelled and I'm back to my commercial free plex library and youtube adventures.

Hubby told me if any football player takes a knee during the national anthem, the coaches are taking them out of the game. The coaches don’t like that action, either. As to why we have sports…….entertainment. As to their exorbitant pay, I sure don’t know. It’s not like we can’t live without them. But my oldest son tells me it’s because their careers are so short. They sure aren’t playing football until the age of 65.

As to their exorbitant pay, I sure don’t know.

I learned very early on in my career, if you want to get paid well you have to work for a company that is very profitable, and can afford to pay employees well. The NFL is obscenely wealthy. One of the greatest movie lines from the movie Concussion, when the doctor (played by Will Smith) challenges the NFL over their concussion protocol. His boss (Albert Brooks) asks him, "You want to pick a fight with these guys? They own a day of the week." Couple their wealth with a very strong players union who wants a piece of the pie, and you have ridiculously high salaries.

I watched the game as I’m a lifelong fan of the Chiefs, (grew up in Mo.) I am enjoying that we are getting the hate that the Patriots used to get. I also like the Hunts (a Christian family that my FIL has met a few times.

Go Chiefs!

Latest posts

Back