Anyone within driving distance of the Florida panhandle?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Anyone within driving distance of the Florida panhandle?
A retired Special Operations guy I know is starting training school and will some proper Carbine classes.
No tacticool gimmicks, but focused on what matters.

He is not local but looking to fly to this Location since we have a great outdoor range here.
But we'd need a couple more students at least.

He has all the credentials in the world but will teach to the level of the students.

Last edited:
According to bing maps, Pensacola is 371 miles and 4 hr 48 minutes from the farm.
Class, gas, overnight accomodations = too many $ for this poor old country boy.

When you say "carbine" I am assuming this is AR. And not M1 or Winchester 94.
Now, for Winchester 94 it would be right up my alley.

I have the same questions as Dademoss, and almost as long a drive. A few more particulars please.

Date; Cost; Length of Class; What to bring (how much ammo); Accommodations?

Sorry, the last time I drove to Florida it took 6 months to get home and I had to visit ALL my in-laws. Wish I could be there.

I don't mean to make fun, but did you take a wagon train? I understand how painful it can be to visit in-laws. That alone would keep me from making the trip.

I will send him this thread to answer questions.
He will be helpful to this board in other ways too.

Him and I are trying to organize this. So we dont have a firm date yet.

Location should be Holt Florida ( close to Pensacola)

I don't mean to make fun, but did you take a wagon train? I understand how painful it can be to visit in-laws. That alone would keep me from making the trip.
Nope, took our Jeep. After the wife retired we hit the road. Tiger McKee was advertising three classes that I wanted, back to back, so I spent a week with him. Picked up the pace to get to that class and slowed down for other reasons. That was the best week of the trip. If you can take a gun class I highly recommend it. That next December I got Christmas cards form two hotels. I hope that never happens again.

I have the same questions as Dademoss, and almost as long a drive. A few more particulars please.

Date; Cost; Length of Class; What to bring (how much ammo); Accommodations?

He has different classes he does of different lengths;
Here is his list of usual classes (but if people are driving long distance a single 4 hours block may not be worth the effort. So we've been discussing stringing together several blocks of classes

I will be attending too, perhaps as a safety assistant so some of us can finally meet.
Here is his website, scroll down for example of his usual classes (dont be intimidated but how all outfitted) :D
https://hybridtacticssecurity.org/

Last edited:
In today's America I would urge everyone here to get as much professional training as they can afford.
The first time you are in a life-or-death encounter with people who want to harm or kill you, you just may survive if you do not have to wonder what to do, but instinctively react instead.

I was trained by the best, and I firmly believe I am here to type this as a direct result.

Even if you can only afford a few $50 or $100 classes on defensive tactics from an NRA certified instructor you will be light years ahead of someone who simply goes to the range to shoot paper twice a year.

My wife took a number of classes through a local chapter of A Well Armed Woman. If you are a woman, I highly suggest you check them out. Click on this for their website - Home
I feel much better knowing she underwent professional training. She carries everywhere she goes, even out to feed the chickens.

He has different classes he does of different lengths;
Here is his list of usual classes (but if people are driving long distance a single 4 hours block may not be worth the effort. So we've been discussing stringing together several blocks of classes

I will be attending too, perhaps as a safety assistant so some of us can finally meet.
Here is his website, scroll down for example of his usual classes (dont be intimidated but how all outfitted) :D
https://hybridtacticssecurity.org/
He might want to consider updating his blog, I'd like to read more about his "main battle rifles" None of mine are set up the same, each one has a different use.

He might want to consider updating his blog, I'd like to read more about his "main battle rifles" None of mine are set up the same, each one has a different use.

I am trying to get him on this board.
His background is deeper than mine and I believe he has a lot to offer.
He is also very respectful when he drops his knowledge.

So.. My guy got banned here.
Supposedly he ruffled some feathers.

I will get him to the panhandle area to teach a great class... :)

Last edited:
Please keep me posted. I am interested, but would like to know the particulars; cost, what to bring, dates if possible?

Please keep me posted. I am interested, but would like to know the particulars; cost, what to bring, dates if possible?

I envision a weekend Primarily focused on Carbine/Rifle.
Why?
because there are many ranges people can go to for handgunning but a really good carbine session most folks cant do it on their own and need a full up range for that.
We could still do some handgunning but nothing I would think you need to bring tons of ammo for.

At Element range which is close to me, we have some really good bays to practice proper Carbine work.
I will take pictures of those this weekend and post them up.
Since people would be driving in from a couple of states away the range officers told me they would be willing to rope off one of the nicer ranges for us all weekend.

As for what to bring the standard supplies for a carbine class are:

- One reliable Carbine/Rifle, AR15 or AKM or AK47 or AK74 or HK G3 or FN FAL etc etc.
Needs to be magazine fed minimum 20 rds per mag
- A rig to carry your load, Chest rig (like a Army FLC just as an example) or battle belt Like the old ALICE kit).Or anything else really that floats your boat to carry your mags+water and first aid kit.
I've seen people have had successful training with just a Botach shooters bandoleer like this: KZ EIGHT 30 OR 40rd Magazine Active Shooters Bags Coyote and a canteen on their hip.
- Magazines should be a minimum of 5 (one in the gun and 4 on the rig) though I recommend a 7 (1 in the gun and 6 on your rig)
- Ammo: this is really the rub with prices being what they are... I previous years I have attended classes and brought ( and shot) 1500rds in that one weekend before.
But I think in a pinch we could make do with 350 or 400 rds/day, especially when we throw in movement techniques the learning of which requires no shooting.
I have plenty of ammo and in a pinch will donate some of mine to top off members who cant afford .
- Solid boots, the terrain here is not a basketball court but rough ground.
I like military style Combat boots best, but SWAT type 5.11 boots, or walking boots (or in a pinch quality high top sneakers fully laced will do too)
- Rough clothing. jeans or 5.11 style pants.
- Quality socks.
- Eye Protection
- Hearing protection ( since we are outdoors foamies are sufficient and I have plenty extras of those to hand out if need be.
- For your rifles if you use electrooptic sights bring spare batteries.

In case anybodies rifle goes down I will bring my armorer kit which should enable me to fix most problems (if its an AR15)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back