Apple Cider - Beautiful Homemade Grinder

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got a couple 5 gallon batches of farm-bought cider fermenting now but getting my own cider would be really great. You've got me thinking about a smaller-scale grinder and press setup.

I have a cider press I bought at a defunct orchard auction. It is very similar, but the grinder is attached to the press and drops the pulp directly into the pressing basket and it is also manual; adding the large tray to the hopper would maybe speed things up a little. I have been looking at the washing machine (youtube) grinder as a large volume mechanized grinder, and kind of like the concept for getting the job done although it isn't as old school.

We always pressed our cider with a screw press and pressed it slowly so that it became almost red in color.
We used burlap bags to press in.
This added that special burlap twang.
Slight notes of horse manure.

We always pressed our cider with a screw press and pressed it slowly so that it became almost red in color.
We used burlap bags to press in.
This added that special burlap twang.
Slight notes of horse manure.
so you have some red fleshed apples? or was it from crabapples you pressed into the mix? i am growing out some red flesh apples of various heritages.

guy i use to know lived up in canada made apple sauce from wild crabapples and it was a beautiful light pink.

Last edited:
so you have some red fleshed apples? or was it from crabapples you pressed into the mix? i am growing out some red flesh apples of various heritages.

guy i use to now lived up in canada made apple sauce from wild crabapples and it was a beautiful light pink.
It was more rusty red from pressing slowly.
We used every type of apple as that made great cider.
When it hardened up we could jack it and it did the job.

We always drank raw cider and it had a cleansing effect before going into winter and eating heavy foods till spring.
Then in spring we would eat the first greens to come up and start with spring cleaning. Get it?

We always drank raw cider and it had a cleansing effect before going into winter and eating heavy foods till spring.
Then in spring we would eat the first greens to come up and start with spring cleaning. Get it?

colon cleaner....lol...eating ramps..greens and bulbs can have that effect...lol....wont be long till ramp time is here and then morel mushrooms !

Last edited:
Friends of mine have screw type press where the pulp is dumped right into bin for pressing. I started taking the pressed pulp home and making my own raw cider vinegar. She gave the chickens some and the rest went into the compost pile.

Last edited:
I can get gallons of apple pulp after the cider has been extracted. I add equal amounts of water to the pulp and then add 1 cup of sugar per gallon of water. I cover it with cheese cloth to keep the flies off and let the wild yeast get to it. For better results I add a pint of store bought ACV w/mother to give it a kick start. Keep it in a warm place and push the dry surface crust down daily to prevent mould.

Latest posts

Back