Aquifers In Your Area

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meerkat

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
My daughter and her hubby are looking for land and I was wondring about the water tables up there now,I know about 50 yr ago they had a terribel draught and cows were dyingi nthe pastures from thirst. No water.
I told her I'd go online and check thewater tables in that area.
I know Americas aquifers are getting bought up by the billionaires liek Ted Turner a few years ago. I think most of their water is fought over by other states useing the rivers. as are ours down here.

I found this one fist search,

https://waterplanning.georgia.gov/
1621281939922.png

As you can see Florida is just one big fat swamp, but it too can be in trouble of toxitity.
But aaalways is a fight to keep fresh waater wwith nieghboring states.

https://theconversation.com/interstate-water-wars-are-heating-up-along-with-the-climate-159092

Interstate water disputes are as American as apple pie. States often think a neighboring state is using more than its fair share from a river, lake or aquifer that crosses borders.

Currently the U.S. Supreme Court has on its docket a case between Texas, New Mexico and Colorado and another one between Mississippi and Tennessee. The court has already ruled this term on cases pitting Texas against New Mexico and Florida against Georgia.

Last edited:
Most states have a web site that provides information on local water wells. The information provides shows the location of the well on a map, soil boring logs, and the depth of the well (ie, location where the well screen is placed). This should give your daughter a pretty good idea of where the aquifers are in her area.

For instance, the Minnesota Well Index is located here: Minnesota Well Index

If you zoom in on the map you'll see red circles. Each circle is well. If you click on the circle, it will direct you to a location where you can find the well log.

Most states have a web site that provides information on local water wells. The information provides shows the location of the well on a map, soil boring logs, and the depth of the well (ie, location where the well screen is placed). This should give your daughter a pretty good idea of where the aquifers are in her area.

For instance, the Minnesota Well Index is located here: Minnesota Well Index

If you zoom in on the map you'll see red circles. Each circle is well. If you click on the circle, it will direct you to a location where you can find the well log.

Thanks CabinF I'll sure give her that info.:thumbs:.

They need to fix their map.

Coloring Louisiana "Abnormally Dry" is so funny I spit beer on my tablet.View attachment 66747
If we all just install 'low-flow toilets', everybody will be just fine!View attachment 66748 ;)

Come see us sometime..... and bring a boat!:)
A snapshot of 'typical' weather here, this is for today:

05-17-21
"FLASH FLOOD EMERGENCY FOR EASTERN CALCASIEU AND WESTERN JEFFERSON
DAVIS PARISHES INCLUDING LAKE CHARLES, LEBLEU SETTLEMENT AND IOWA...
The National Weather Service in Lake Charles has extended the

* Flash Flood Warning for...
Southeastern Calcasieu Parish in southwestern Louisiana...
Northwestern Jefferson Davis Parish in southwestern Louisiana...

* Until 615 PM CDT.

* At 431 PM CDT, Gauge reports indicated that water levels have for
the most part peaked, but severe flooding will continue for the
next few hours. Between 6 and 15 inches of rain have fallen. Flash
flooding is already occurring.

This is a FLASH FLOOD EMERGENCY for Eastern Calcasie...

Recommended actions

Move to higher ground now! This is an extremely dangerous and
life-threatening situation. Do not attempt to travel unless you are
fleeing an area subject to flooding or under an evacuation order. "
-------
Yep!, we are dry as hell down here!!!:rolleyes:

Last edited:
A snapshot of 'typical' weather here, for today:

"FLASH FLOOD EMERGENCY FOR EASTERN CALCASIEU AND WESTERN JEFFERSON
DAVIS PARISHES INCLUDING LAKE CHARLES, LEBLEU SETTLEMENT AND IOWA...
The National Weather Service in Lake Charles has extended the

* Flash Flood Warning for...
Southeastern Calcasieu Parish in southwestern Louisiana...
Northwestern Jefferson Davis Parish in southwestern Louisiana...

* Until 615 PM CDT.

* At 431 PM CDT, Gauge reports indicated that water levels have for
the most part peaked, but severe flooding will continue for the
next few hours. Between 6 and 15 inches of rain have fallen. Flash
flooding is already occurring.

This is a FLASH FLOOD EMERGENCY for Eastern Calcasie...

Recommended actions

Move to higher ground now! This is an extremely dangerous and
life-threatening situation. Do not attempt to travel unless you are
fleeing an area subject to flooding or under an evacuation order. "
-------
Yep!, we are dry as hell down here!!!:rolleyes:

I didn't draw up that map ya know,I'll put a 10 HP on my buggy and see you on ailes 3 ,You'll know me when you see me by my attire.

I remember that it was terrible.
We are refilling our aquifer as I speak!
It's easy. :thumbs:
Only 2 simple steps...

1. Live down here.
2. Don't drown.

Our back yard 10 minutes ago:

Mt thats almost boat building time,be careful
Meh.
Now back to our regularly-scheduled, nation-wide, deadly, water shortage! :rolleyes:
Global warming is going to bake us all to a dry crisp!
panic.gif

We've had drought in my area for a couple years. Last summer got severe. Pop's well went dry on the farm, but we're still not sure if the well collapsed at the bottom or if the water table has fallen. Other wells in that aquifer are still producing in his area so I'd guess it's the well itself that failed.

The scientific types tell us that the deep aquifer here (called the "Jordan Aquifer") is dropping due to all the urban areas tapped into it, combined with livestock production use. I don't know how accurate that is, but absent a lack of better evidence I'll buy it for now...

Latest posts

Back