- Architect Question

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parascuba

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
I took an architecture class in 2004 at community college. So I have been doing this free time. This week I have drawn two different tiny houses 14 x 24. I undecided which would be better. With a limited budget, so we can afford a small house and comfortable for now. So I like an opinion from you guys which one better. "14 x 24" or "24 x 14" basically both's the same size but different layout.

Attachments

• 14 x 24.png
    14 x 24.png
    298.3 KB · Views: 34
  • 24 x 14.png
    24 x 14.png
    32.3 KB · Views: 31
Tough call.

Do you have the means to lay these out in full scale using cardboard or whatever to simulate walls, furniture and such? You may find the right solution if you could see it in full scale.

Have you considered looking at RV sites to get ideas? They have small areas and are masters at getting everything into small spaces but having it work out ergonomically.

He's done a good job of getting what is needed into a small space. The truly hard part is getting the room to access it all. There again he has done a pretty good job of it. This kind of housing isn't for me, my tastes tend to use more area for moving through the area.

Number 2, easily. I couldn't stand having the front door that close to my bed like it is in #1. Even though its small, #2 gives your bed a buffer from the door.

A few other notes from someone who lived for two years in a 144 square foot cabin, before self building his own house.

You don't need two sinks. I still don't have a bathroom sink. I use the kitchen sink for everything.

The foundation and roof are the most expensive parts of a house. Once you get those, the cost to add more space between them is very low in comparison, but can provide much much more space.

Therefor, I recommend going tall. What I did was build the first floor and finish it, but I framed two floors about it that I left unfinished and open for two years why I earned money to finish them, while living in the first floor. I accessed them from the outside while under construction and then when finished, move things out of the first floor and built stairs to connect them via hatchways.

Phase one construction:
h9ybtcL.jpg

Once I added windows, I lived in the first floor for two years with the top floors open like this:

c3lKY97.jpg

Two years later:

n8FxrHL.jpg

The shop building is now up, as you can see, I did the same thing, going tall to save money. I built this whole second building in 12x12x8 cubes, one a year for several years.

BMEkgO1.jpg

You can see the other sections built up and attached behind the starting tower (the left one) in this pic a several years later.

YGDqKY0.jpg

Because I built from the ground up, I've expanded every year or, two, for many years now.

In sequence, I went from 200 square feet the first year. 600 by year three, 800 by year sixish.

The next big jump will be another two story addition, finished from the ground up like everything else, with about 350 feet per floor, and finished one floor at a time.

We have a pretty strict policy with building here that anything we build must be immediately useful. Which means its better to have half a building finished all the way, than a whole building, halfway finished.

Another note with small houses. Don't try to miniaturize a normal house. Re-think what you actually need, even if its not 'normal' and only use that. Do you need a loveseat? Or can you just use your bed for all purpose furniture. Do you need a shower inside your bathroom, or can you just have an bathtub in the main room with a curtain? Think outside the box, don't just think how to make stuff small enough to fit in the box.

Last edited:
Tough call.

Do you have the means to lay these out in full scale using cardboard or whatever to simulate walls, furniture, and such? You may find the right solution if you could see it in full scale.

Have you considered looking at RV sites to get ideas? They have small areas and are masters at getting everything into small spaces but having it work out ergonomically.
Yes, I do, My friend has shed 14 x 24. He has let me tape it down to get an idea. Before he starts to move the old wreck shed to the new shed.

I'd pick number 2. Are you doing a second floor, bunk storage area? It'd drive me nuts living in a tiny home. Where are you going to put your food storage for the year and the canning supplies?
I have been thought of rid of the laundry stack machine out of the house and turn that space into the pantry. Set up another shed for water/laundry. I saw youtube yesterday about it.

Number 2, easily. I couldn't stand having the front door that close to my bed like it is in #1. Even though its small, #2 gives your bed a buffer from the door.

A few other notes from someone who lived for two years in a 144 square foot cabin, before self building his own house.

You don't need two sinks. I still don't have a bathroom sink. I use the kitchen sink for everything.

The foundation and roof are the most expensive parts of a house. Once you get those, the cost to add more space between them is very low in comparison, but can provide much much more space.

Therefor, I recommend going tall. What I did was build the first floor and finish it, but I framed two floors about it that I left unfinished and open for two years why I earned money to finish them, while living in the first floor. I accessed them from the outside while under construction and then when finished, move things out of the first floor and built stairs to connect them via hatchways.

Phase one construction:
h9ybtcL.jpg

Once I added windows, I lived in the first floor for two years with the top floors open like this:

c3lKY97.jpg

Two years later:

n8FxrHL.jpg

The shop building is now up, as you can see, I did the same thing, going tall to save money. I built this whole second building in 12x12x8 cubes, one a year for several years.

BMEkgO1.jpg

You can see the other sections built up and attached behind the starting tower (the left one) in this pic a several years later.

YGDqKY0.jpg

Because I built from the ground up, I've expanded every year or, two, for many years now.

In sequence, I went from 200 square feet the first year. 600 by year three, 800 by year sixish.

The next big jump will be another two story addition, finished from the ground up like everything else, with about 350 feet per floor, and finished one floor at a time.

We have a pretty strict policy with building here that anything we build must be immediately useful. Which means its better to have half a building finished all the way, than a whole building, halfway finished.

Another note with small houses. Don't try to miniaturize a normal house. Re-think what you actually need, even if its not 'normal' and only use that. Do you need a loveseat? Or can you just use your bed for all purpose furniture. Do you need a shower inside your bathroom, or can you just have an bathtub in the main room with a curtain? Think outside the box, don't just think how to make stuff small enough to fit in the box.
I like your house. I truly do. Is hay bale fire hazard?

Good point about sinks

both Plan 1 & 2 plan has a shower.

I like your house. I truly do. Is hay bale fire hazard?

Good point about sinks

both Plan 1 & 2 plan has a shower.

Strawbale houses are considered extremely fire resistant

Because the straw is so tightly packed air can't get in,

And once it was covered with stucco there is no way for fire to get to it anyway.

The only time its risky is when its under construction and you can get a lot of loose straw spread around on the ground from bales that get broken open, trimmed, etc.

i like the second one best for sure.

its interesting that you had this idea as i am just now getting ready to design a small home with about same dimensions. its going to be 24ft long and width will be 12,14 or 16. like @Aerindel mentioned about sink i have tossed that idea around as well.its just more of everything to not only buy but clean and repair etc.its only me so i am going to just have a 'sleeping nook' against the wall with a curtain to pull closed when not in use or even when in use to hold the heat in even better. i think it will be both grid connected and a small 12volt off grid solar system of a couple hundred watts for lights and whatnot.

i think it will be both grid connected and a small 12volt off grid solar system of a couple hundred watts for lights and whatnot.

That is also what I do.

Here is a pics of the 12x12 I used to live in when I was in Alaska, front. (did not build, was just a renter)

iyVstHB.jpg

heres sorta what i am thinking..the sleeping nook like this and instead of door exiting home in picture it will be the small bathroom. this would go across entire end of home leaving rest of floor open and then kitchen on opposite end with bay window to look out over deck into kitchen garden.minus that loft whatever..just a clean sweep across end of home with nook and tiny bathroom.

R1c397c5aba1b9fe74549342663b332ba

After read all your posts. I refined the design of plan 1, plan 2. But, Plan 3. Friend of mine's idea he pointing as I draw. He demands 2 sinks. I'm going to show you all of them. Personally, I like floorplan 2. Because it has a closet. Laundry could be in a shed next to the water tank.

Attachments

• Floorplan 1.png
    Floorplan 1.png
    241.2 KB · Views: 13
  • Floorplan 2.png
    Floorplan 2.png
    360.4 KB · Views: 15
  • Floorplan 3.png
    Floorplan 3.png
    278.9 KB · Views: 13
Honestly, in a tiny house, I would surface mount all the plumbing to make it easy to work with/modify/expand.

For style points, use copper.

Again, this is what I did so obviously biased.
I'd use Sex and Sharkbite fittings. If it freezes, thaw it out with no problems. If a fitting pushes off, push it back on. No soldering and no polishing.

I'd use Sex and Sharkbite fittings. If it freezes, thaw it out with no problems. If a fitting pushes off, push it back on. No soldering and no polishing.

For pure practicality, of course. But looks may matter to some people too.

For pure practicality, of course. But looks may matter to some people too.
I love shakbite but they are pricey if you go with press and fit.

When we get plumbing the house we are working on it will be Pex and crimped fittings.

Ben

'Prioritize' Is the mantra that I think is most useful for low budget self builders/tiny home makers.

You don't have to have less of any one thing....but you have to have none of some things if you have all of something else.

Try attending an RV show to get an idea what some of the available designs are like for more inspiration.

You also may want to look at used RVs. I have been told the average time of RV ownership is 3 years. An older 5th wheel that is barely road worthy could be a viable option.

My son found an old modular home that was in such bad shape he got it for free provided he pay to move it. The family teamed and fixed all of the problems and he has been in that place for more than 12 years.
Ben

Latest posts

Back