Are All Canned Hams Equal in Quality and Flavor?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I'm curious about your experiences with canned hams. Have you used them enough to have favorite name brands? Has any name brand become a big NO for you? I have some, but I am SAVING them to cook with all the beans! When I've emptied my freezer of ham bones and ham hocks, I will use my canned hams.

These are the named brands of canned hams that I found on Amazon. I was trying to calculate by best buy, but several people sell the same brand names and prices are all over the place. Most are 1 pound, except Celebrity, which is 12 ounces.

Canned Hams
DAKFully cooked
Bristol HickoryCooked & smoked
GoyaCooked
Dutch Colonycooked
Celebritycooked
Royale Canadiancooked

We have used the DAK brand for years and love them, the ham is tender with great flavor.
the wife and daughter loves it cubed into Mac a cheese with extra cheddar cheese on top, on a cold winters night it will make you hurt yourself if you aren’t careful. DAK is the only fully cooked brand that doesn’t have to be refrigerated that I can find locally.

I have a few canned hams put back, not sure of the brand, but probably Dak. I haven't eaten a canned ham since I was a kid, so I can't really say about quality or taste, other than I used to love them, especially the jell around it.

I have DAK, Celebrity, and Bristol Hickory stored. At the moment, these are not a bad price for meat protein compared to the prices of other canned meats, which have skyrocketed. I noticed that sometimes Walmart and Aldi have a couple on the shelf, and sometimes they don't. I feel the same way about chipped beef in a jar, it's still a good price for the protein. With both, I add to other things and don't eat them straight up.

Shoppers fight over the last Mel's Hickory Honey Ham in the supermarkets, so it must be good.
1650724322499.png

1650724409060.png

The only one I remember is DAK. It doesn't compare to a fresh ham but I am happy enough with it. I bought a few so that I could flavour my beans.
I love an old fashioned bone in ham with the skin on it so much more than the manicured boneless hams that are sold now. The skin itself is so flavorful!
We have used the DAK brand for years and love them, the ham is tender with great flavor.
the wife and daughter loves it cubed into Mac a cheese with extra cheddar cheese on top, on a cold winters night it will make you hurt yourself if you aren’t careful. DAK is the only fully cooked brand that doesn’t have to be refrigerated that I can find locally.
Sounds like a great way to make mac and cheese a little heartier.
I have a few canned hams put back, not sure of the brand, but probably Dak. I haven't eaten a canned ham since I was a kid, so I can't really say about quality or taste, other than I used to love them, especially the jell around it.
I don't think I've ever had canned ham. I'm thinking I should take one of the ones I have and try it to see what they are like.
I have DAK, Celebrity, and Bristol Hickory stored. At the moment, these are not a bad price for meat protein compared to the prices of other canned meats, which have skyrocketed. I noticed that sometimes Walmart and Aldi have a couple on the shelf, and sometimes they don't. I feel the same way about chipped beef in a jar, it's still a good price for the protein. With both, I add to other things and don't eat them straight up.
I look at chipped beef every time I buy canned beef. $5.99 a jar and I haven't brought myself courageous enough to buy it. I have eaten chipped beef and I love it in SOS. I suppose I should buy a flat or two to have.
I've used whatever the ALDI brand is. It's ok. I don't think any canned ham is that great, as it's essentially a pound of spam. But it's definitely a good long term prep to have...
This is what I wondered. Is it really like eating spam? Now I know I need to open one of my cans and make some beans or mac and cheese with it.

Shoppers fight over the last Mel's Hickory Honey Ham in the supermarkets, so it must be good.
View attachment 85017

View attachment 85018
Mel's looks like it might be a three or five pound ham. Probably three pounds. When I was searching online for canned hams, Mel's didn't come up. I just searched for Mel's canned ham on Amazon, and they don't have it. I did an online search and didn't see it anywhere for sale. I have no idea where to get one or more.

Last edited:
I didn't think to do an online search for the best canned hams, but in my search for Mel's, I found a survey that showed the top 5. DAK is shown to be the best. Is it the best because it is the one that people are most familiar with? I think it is made in Denmark. I might be wrong about this, but I would personally prefer a canned ham from a place like Denmark than say, oh China! I'm sure that is true for many people. I do think a canned ham from many places in the US and Canada would be great, but it would depend on how it is put together. If it is chopped ham, that puts it in the SPAM category of canned meats.

Two of these are almost identical and without really knowing, could be confusing at the store, except for the size difference of the Hormel cans.

https://www.pokpoksom.com/best-canned-ham/
1. DAK PREMIUM FULLY COOKED CANNED HAM

When it comes to high-quality and delicious fully cooked ham, no other product can beat DAK Premium Fully Cooked Canned Ham. This canned ham is probably the most reviewed item on our list, so it’s not just one person who likes it. In addition, this one is quite affordable; a pack of 2 16-Oz cans only costs about $30, which is surprisingly inexpensive.

DAK Premium Fully Cooked Canned Ham comes with dimensions of 6 x 3.9 x 3.6 inches and weighs about 16 ounces. This premium canned ham is made with ham cured with water, sugar, salt, sodium nitrite, carrageenan. In addition, it may contain traces of milk. This one is fully cooked and ready to serve.

Why do we like it?
  • Affordable Product
  • Delicious Taste
  • Premium Ingredients
  • Durable Packaging

2. HORMEL CANNED HAM, SMOKED
Hormel Canned Ham, Smoked

The second item on our list is HORMEL Smoked Canned Ham. Even though this one is second, Hormel Canned Ham is still worth considering. It is more inexpensive and delicious than the above one. A pack of 12 5-ounce cans of this mouth-watering ham can cost about $36. It comes with dimensions of 14 x 11 x 2 inches and weighs about 5 ounces.

HORMEL Smoked Canned Ham is perfect for a quick, tasty meal. It is made with delicious ingredients, including a ham cured with sugar, salt, Sodium Erythorbate, water, Smoke flavoring, and Sodium Phosphates. In addition, this product is rich in proteins. On top of that, this canned ham is completely gluten-free and doesn’t require any prep or clean-up.

Why do we like it?
  • Gluten-Free Canned Ham
  • Durable Packaging
  • Tasty and Natural Ingredients
  • Great Source of Proteins
3. DAK PREMIUM HAM
Dak Premium Ham

This canned ham is also manufactured by DAK. If you have a hungry family and require an affordable product with more volume, then this one is perfect for you. This item comes in different sizes, but a pack of 4 16-oz cans should be a perfect choice for you. This pack is quite economical and only costs up to $45, making it shockingly inexpensive.

Dak, 16oz Can, Premium Ham has dimensions of 10.16 x 6.26 x 3.98 inches and weighs about 16 ounces. It is fully cooked, and you don’t even have to use a can opener. Because this canned ham is ready-to-eat, it is perfect for fishing, camping, hunting, picnic, or a quick meal. In addition, this product is quite healthy; it is low in sugar and free of trans fat.

Why do we like it?
  • Ideal for all Meals
  • Rich with Protein
  • Low in Sugar
  • Free of Trans fat
4. HORMEL, 5OZ CAN, SMOKED HAM
Hormel, 5oz Can, Smoked Ham

If you liked the above-mentioned Hormel Smoked Canned Ham but want to save some bucks, this pack of six is perfect for you. This pack has a size of 30 ounces and costs about $17, making it the most inexpensive product on our list. It is made with fresh ham that is trimmed internally to remove excess gristle and fat.

Hormel, 5oz Can, Smoked Ham comes with dimensions of ‎ 10.24 x 8.54 x 1.73 inches and weighs about 2.45 pounds. It contains delicious ingredients, including a ham cured with water, sugar, salt, Sodium Erythorbate, Smoke flavoring, and Sodium Phosphates. On top of that, this one is 100% usable for center-of-the-plate, minimizes waste, and is a great source of proteins.

Why do we like it?
  • Ready to Eat Smoked Ham
  • Rich with Flavor
  • Great source of Protein
  • Convenient Packaging
5. GOYA 16 OZ COOKED HAM
Goya 16 Oz Cooked Ham

Last but not least, we have Goya 16-Oz Cooked Ham. This product contains a ham cured with salt, water, sugar, Sodium Phosphates, Sodium Erythorbate, and Carrageenan. Regardless of its high-quality and delicious taste, this one is quite affordable; a pack of 3 16-Oz Goya Canned Ham costs up to $33, but it is worth every penny because of its fresh ingredients.

Goya Cooked Ham has dimensions of ‎6.5 x 5.5 x 4.1 inches and weighs about 16 Ounces. This one is also fully cooked and ready to eat, making it perfect for camping, picnic, fishing, or a quick meal. Due to its amazing shelf life, this one will be a perfect addition to your hurricane shelf too. Furthermore, this ham is rich in proteins and is low in sugar and trans fat.

Why do we like it?
  • Economical Choice
  • Mouth-watering Flavor
  • Rich with Proteins and Vitamins
  • Multiple Uses

If I have Christmas dinner and the ham comes out of a can then it is truly a sad Christmas. Using a canned ham to flavour a pot of beans to to mix into a casserole isn't a bad idea. Even a grilled ham and cheese is okay. If your canned ham tastes like spam, try another brand.

I grew up in my family meat market. I remember canned hams that were supposedly excellent. I was 10 when we moved to Alaska so I can't give any particulars. I'm sure there are superior canned hams out there.

I don't like salt. About half a gallon of dry beans to a one pound canned ham is okay. I like to can my ham and beans, unfortunately they don't usually last long enough. I can eat beans for several days.

On a side note, canned corned beef is way too salty for me to eat so I boil it. This greatly reduces the salt. It usually finds its way into a Ruben.

If I have Christmas dinner and the ham comes out of a can then it is truly a sad Christmas. Using a canned ham to flavour a pot of beans to to mix into a casserole isn't a bad idea. Even a grilled ham and cheese is okay. If your canned ham tastes like spam, try another brand.

I grew up in my family meat market. I remember canned hams that were supposedly excellent. I was 10 when we moved to Alaska so I can't give any particulars. I'm sure there are superior canned hams out there.

I don't like salt. About half a gallon of dry beans to a one pound canned ham is okay. I like to can my ham and beans, unfortunately they don't usually last long enough. I can eat beans for several days.

On a side note, canned corned beef is way too salty for me to eat so I boil it. This greatly reduces the salt. It usually finds its way into a Ruben.
I would agree that a canned ham for Christmas dinner would be a sad dinner, but it may be coming to all of us in the near future.
Interesting about you and salt. I have always been the person who adds more salt.

Canned corned beef seems to mostly be a product of Brazil. I wonder how good that is?

I would agree that a canned ham for Christmas dinner would be a sad dinner, but it may be coming to all of us in the near future.
Interesting about you and salt. I have always been the person who adds more salt.

Canned corned beef seems to mostly be a product of Brazil. I wonder how good that is?
I'm afraid that you are right about Christmas dinner.

The canned corned beef isn't as bad as it sounds. If you are expecting it to be like a nice fresh corned beef then you are likely to be let down. I like surimi. It is made to look like crab. Surimi isn't crab and doesn't taste like crab but is good in its own right. I'd rather eat fresh tuna than canned but I eat more canned tuna than fresh.

I'm afraid that you are right about Christmas dinner.

The canned corned beef isn't as bad as it sounds. If you are expecting it to be like a nice fresh corned beef then you are likely to be let down. I like surimi. It is made to look like crab. Surimi isn't crab and doesn't taste like crab but is good in its own right. I'd rather eat fresh tuna than canned but I eat more canned tuna than fresh.
That sounds familiar. I cook with canned chicken fairly often. I like a fresh chicken breast much better, but why bother when canned is cheap and still good?

We get the Bristol brand here, usually found at DG for little money.

I recommend NOT getting the smoked one, ICK. I think they use liquid smoke and I absolutely hate that stuff.

I didn't think to do an online search for the best canned hams, but in my search for Mel's, I found a survey that showed the top 5. DAK is shown to be the best. Is it the best because it is the one that people are most familiar with? I think it is made in Denmark. I might be wrong about this, but I would personally prefer a canned ham from a place like Denmark than say, oh China! I'm sure that is true for many people. I do think a canned ham from many places in the US and Canada would be great, but it would depend on how it is put together. If it is chopped ham, that puts it in the SPAM category of canned meats.

Two of these are almost identical and without really knowing, could be confusing at the store, except for the size difference of the Hormel cans.

https://www.pokpoksom.com/best-canned-ham/
1. DAK PREMIUM FULLY COOKED CANNED HAM

When it comes to high-quality and delicious fully cooked ham, no other product can beat DAK Premium Fully Cooked Canned Ham. This canned ham is probably the most reviewed item on our list, so it’s not just one person who likes it. In addition, this one is quite affordable; a pack of 2 16-Oz cans only costs about $30, which is surprisingly inexpensive.

DAK Premium Fully Cooked Canned Ham comes with dimensions of 6 x 3.9 x 3.6 inches and weighs about 16 ounces. This premium canned ham is made with ham cured with water, sugar, salt, sodium nitrite, carrageenan. In addition, it may contain traces of milk. This one is fully cooked and ready to serve.

Why do we like it?
  • Affordable Product
  • Delicious Taste
  • Premium Ingredients
  • Durable Packaging

2. HORMEL CANNED HAM, SMOKED
Hormel Canned Ham, Smoked
The second item on our list is HORMEL Smoked Canned Ham. Even though this one is second, Hormel Canned Ham is still worth considering. It is more inexpensive and delicious than the above one. A pack of 12 5-ounce cans of this mouth-watering ham can cost about $36. It comes with dimensions of 14 x 11 x 2 inches and weighs about 5 ounces.

HORMEL Smoked Canned Ham is perfect for a quick, tasty meal. It is made with delicious ingredients, including a ham cured with sugar, salt, Sodium Erythorbate, water, Smoke flavoring, and Sodium Phosphates. In addition, this product is rich in proteins. On top of that, this canned ham is completely gluten-free and doesn’t require any prep or clean-up.

Why do we like it?
  • Gluten-Free Canned Ham
  • Durable Packaging
  • Tasty and Natural Ingredients
  • Great Source of Proteins
3. DAK PREMIUM HAM
Dak Premium Ham

This canned ham is also manufactured by DAK. If you have a hungry family and require an affordable product with more volume, then this one is perfect for you. This item comes in different sizes, but a pack of 4 16-oz cans should be a perfect choice for you. This pack is quite economical and only costs up to $45, making it shockingly inexpensive.

Dak, 16oz Can, Premium Ham has dimensions of 10.16 x 6.26 x 3.98 inches and weighs about 16 ounces. It is fully cooked, and you don’t even have to use a can opener. Because this canned ham is ready-to-eat, it is perfect for fishing, camping, hunting, picnic, or a quick meal. In addition, this product is quite healthy; it is low in sugar and free of trans fat.

Why do we like it?
  • Ideal for all Meals
  • Rich with Protein
  • Low in Sugar
  • Free of Trans fat
4. HORMEL, 5OZ CAN, SMOKED HAM
Hormel, 5oz Can, Smoked Ham

If you liked the above-mentioned Hormel Smoked Canned Ham but want to save some bucks, this pack of six is perfect for you. This pack has a size of 30 ounces and costs about $17, making it the most inexpensive product on our list. It is made with fresh ham that is trimmed internally to remove excess gristle and fat.

Hormel, 5oz Can, Smoked Ham comes with dimensions of ‎ 10.24 x 8.54 x 1.73 inches and weighs about 2.45 pounds. It contains delicious ingredients, including a ham cured with water, sugar, salt, Sodium Erythorbate, Smoke flavoring, and Sodium Phosphates. On top of that, this one is 100% usable for center-of-the-plate, minimizes waste, and is a great source of proteins.

Why do we like it?
  • Ready to Eat Smoked Ham
  • Rich with Flavor
  • Great source of Protein
  • Convenient Packaging
5. GOYA 16 OZ COOKED HAM
Goya 16 Oz Cooked Ham

Last but not least, we have Goya 16-Oz Cooked Ham. This product contains a ham cured with salt, water, sugar, Sodium Phosphates, Sodium Erythorbate, and Carrageenan. Regardless of its high-quality and delicious taste, this one is quite affordable; a pack of 3 16-Oz Goya Canned Ham costs up to $33, but it is worth every penny because of its fresh ingredients.

Goya Cooked Ham has dimensions of ‎6.5 x 5.5 x 4.1 inches and weighs about 16 Ounces. This one is also fully cooked and ready to eat, making it perfect for camping, picnic, fishing, or a quick meal. Due to its amazing shelf life, this one will be a perfect addition to your hurricane shelf too. Furthermore, this ham is rich in proteins and is low in sugar and trans fat.

Why do we like it?
  • Economical Choice
  • Mouth-watering Flavor
  • Rich with Proteins and Vitamins
  • Multiple Uses
Looks like #1 and #3 are the same ham, to me.
When I was stocking canned hams I was paying $4 per 1# can or $10/3 can package. This was 4 years ago, give or take a year. I mostly bought them from "3 Bears", a local grocery chain. I think they got them from Sam's. It cost more but I didn't have to spend $25 on gas, get a membership, or spend an hour driving, each way. The closest "3 Bears" is 3 minutes from my house.

Looks like #1 and #3 are the same ham, to me.
When I was stocking canned hams I was paying $4 per 1# can or $10/3 can package. This was 4 years ago, give or take a year. I mostly bought them from "3 Bears", a local grocery chain. I think they got them from Sam's. It cost more but I didn't have to spend $25 on gas, get a membership, or spend an hour driving, each way. The closest "3 Bears" is 3 minutes from my house.
I couldn't tell the difference either. You got a good price on them, especially in comparison to today's prices. I don't remember what I paid for the ones I've purchased earlier. For 52 hams, just as a number for one a week for a year that would have been a $208 investment plus gas, taxes, etc.

I'm trying to figure out how many I should get or have. From what I could tell, they are minimally $9 per canned ham for any of them now, and most are closer to $10. One a week for a year would be around a $500 investment.

From what I can tell, they do have a good shelf life.

Hey Weedy, you can order the chipped beef from Walmart.com for under $3 a jar. Still.
I prefer a fresh ham for holidays, and we just had one for Easter and I have an extra in the freezer. But I'd use the canned if thats all I could get. Been paying under $4 a piece for the canned. Just bought two more last week.

Hey Weedy, you can order the chipped beef from Walmart.com for under $3 a jar. Still.
I prefer a fresh ham for holidays, and we just had one for Easter and I have an extra in the freezer. But I'd use the canned if thats all I could get. Been paying under $4 a piece for the canned. Just bought two more last week.
Thank you for that tip. That price is half of what the grocery store price is. I am going to order some!

Last edited:
Mel's looks like it might be a three or five pound ham. Probably three pounds. When I was searching online for canned hams, Mel's didn't come up. I just searched for Mel's canned ham on Amazon, and they don't have it. I did an online search and didn't see it anywhere for sale. I have no idea where to get one or more.
I am sorry, it was a joke. I thought everyone had seen the movie, "Christmas with the Kranks." Probably the only motion picture ever made where a canned ham was one of the central themes in the movie.

I bought these a couple months ago, Bristol Brand cooked ham, smoke flavor added. It doesn't say "refrigerate after opening". I bought them because they are 1lb in size so can be eaten by a few people in one sitting. And the expiration date was 2026. I got 8 of them, cheap protein. Slice it an fry it like spam, maybe with a little honey.

I've never eaten one so I don't know if they are good but canned ham is canned ham?

food Can Hama.JPG

To continue with my research, I went to Dollar General to see if they had canned hams and they did, Bristol varieties for $3.25 each. It says they are 1 pound each with water added. Sell by December 2026.

My thought has always been to cook them with beans, but they could used in scalloped potatoes and other casseroles.

Latest posts

Back