Are lavender and sage good for fleas?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoBookworm1957

MoBookworm1957
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Can I rub Strawberry down with fresh lavender and sage to get rid of fleas
She was double suds with Dawn dish soap this morning for her weekly shower.
She's already back to scratching, digging in her fur for fleas, red ants.
I have vacuumed all the furniture already.
I would wash chair cushions if I though that would help.

This is how to get rid of fleas naturally with:
LEMON WATER: Put lemon pieces and water in a spray bottle. Spray on and around pet. Avoid eyes and face.
LAVENDER PLANTS: Get one or two.
SPEARMENT PLANTS: Get one or two.
VINEGAR WATER: Put 50/50 VINEGAR and water in a spray bottle. Avoid eyes and face.
VACUUM CARPET: Regularly
BAKING SODA: Sprinkle baking soda on carpet. Vacuum.
DISH SOAP: Put 50/50 dish soap and water in a glass bowl and sit it in a good place. The fleas will go for a swim and...well, poor fleas.

I have had fleas in my house twice. I used flea powder both times and that worked well. I would also consider using diatomaceous earth on Strawberry and places where fleas might drop off, such as her bed.
I do agree with Backpacker. Animals itch for various reasons, and it might not be fleas. Some animals have food allergies that cause them to itch. There was a young couple at a dog park whose pit bull always itched. They had gone to the vet several times and with no results. They tried different foods, powders, treatments. One person told them that it might be in the dog's gut. It was suggested that they use unpasteurized yogurt and give the dog a spoonful a few times a day. In three days, the dog stopped scratching. It was a very inexpensive fix and probably good for the dog in many ways.

Last edited:
How to get rid of fleas:
EXTERMINATE!
DrWho.gif

The Geneva Convention made an exception for chemical weapons use when it comes to fleas.
Bomb the place!
If they are everywhere, putting perfume on one of their food sources will not faze them.
If the dog is scratching fleas, those are just the ones that are on him.

Please be careful using oils on or near pets!
Seems like every autumn our dog gets fleas and shares with the cat. You'd think I'd remember to keep them both covered. I can't remember what I've used in the past but got it from the vet's office, it is time to make a trip to the vet. I don't trust the brands at wally world.

Please be careful using oils on or near pets!
Seems like every autumn our dog gets fleas and shares with the cat. You'd think I'd remember to keep them both covered. I can't remember what I've used in the past but got it from the vet's office, it is time to make a trip to the vet. I don't trust the brands at wally world.
We use Revolution® on the cats. That's probably what the vet sold you.
It's expensive but it keeps them from bringing a single flea indoors.
One cat never goes outside, the other just on the back porch for a few minutes every few days.
A single application lasts a month.
Keeping fleas from 'penetrating your perimeter' and infesting everything in the house is not something to try to scrimp on.
Bombing the whole house and running every fabric thru the dryer numerous times is even more expensive.
(sorry that none of my suggestions are "all-natural") :( .

Good suggestions, @Supervisor42
Last year we treated both pets, got the vet people to give the nice kitty a bath, and at home, I sprinkled food-grade diatomaceous earth all over the house. Since the treatment on the pets would be taking care of their problem, all we did was let the d. earth sit for a week, vacuumed it up, sprinkled it down again for another week, and I think I repeated one more time. Hard on the vacuum cleaner.
I also put a bandana I treated with specific essential oil around the dog's neck. I don't know if it helped or not. Took it off of her and put fresh oils on it from time to time.
The oil I used for the dog is cedarwood.
I've read that lavender oil is a poison to cats.
Don't apply any oils directly to animals' skin. It can burn.
Even using an essential oils diffuser isn't safe. I have to keep my bedroom door shut when using the lavender, rosemary oils in my room.
I had a list going of what was safe and unsafe for dogs and cats but can't find it presently.
Even some websites have incorrect information on what is safe and unsafe, so please be wary.

Can I rub Strawberry down with fresh lavender and sage to get rid of fleas
She was double suds with Dawn dish soap this morning for her weekly shower.
She's already back to scratching, digging in her fur for fleas, red ants.
I have vacuumed all the furniture already.
I would wash chair cushions if I though that would help.
It's fleas for sure.
Love the new shampoo Grimm recommended.
Used some of new shampoo washed up all her bedding with it.
Made mild solution with it sprayed down her chair weekly.
Have tried yogurt when grand daughter and I are eating ice cream.
This way Strawberry gets a treat too.
Have no carpet just tile floors.
I put flea and tick stuff out in the yard that Strawberry fequents too.

Latest posts

Back