Are Plastics Destroying Our Testosterone?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sentry18

Thrivalist
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
https://misanthrope.today/2019/12/23/are-plastics-destroying-our-testosterone/

December 23, 2019

Are Plastics Destroying Our Testosterone?

The plastics that wrap our sandwiches, contain your shampoo, and surround us are messing with our hormones. Over the last 50 years, testosterone levels in American men have been plunging. Could this be why?

Testosterone and other androgens are groups of hormones we associate with men – and indeed, they are responsible for the physiological changes that come with a boy’s sexual maturity after puberty such as the chest, groin, and armpit hair, as well as deepening of the voice.

But women and pre-pubescent children also have testosterone in their bodies. Male testes produce testosterone and female ovaries produce the androgen.

Women need testosterone as most of it is converted into the estrogen sex hormone estradiol. Female testosterone supports other hormonal levels, fuels the sex drive and fertility, and makes new blood cells.

In men, testosterone is vital for proper development during puberty, including producing sperm, ensuring strong bones and muscles, and a healthy sex drive.

Levels vary with a person’s age, sex, and overall health. Men usually have much higher levels of testosterone in their bodies than women and children and reduced levels are expected as people age.

Testosterone loss is linked to diabetes, abdominal obesity, sexual dysfunction, depression, and other negative medical conditions.

Today, clinically lower testosterone levels are more common than high testosterone levels among patients tested, underscoring a recent trend that has some observers worried about the future of humankind as male fertility rates plummet.

A 2014 study published in the Endocrine Society’s Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism (JCEM) revealed the details of a 15-year prospective study that evaluated changes in the test population’s serum testosterone.

Boston-area men 45-79 years old were sampled for blood and interviewed between 1987 and 1989 with two follow-up periods in 1995-1997 and 2002-2004 for a total of 2,769 observations from 1,532 men. An age-independent decline in testosterone was noted.

Thomas Travison, Ph.D., of the New England Research Institutes in Watertown, Massachusetts, commented on the research findings:

“It is a little troubling. The average differences are not very large, but they are big enough and occurring over a short enough time period to be the cause of some concern.”

Travison continued:

“The interesting thing we discovered was that, on average, when we measured the testosterone in the blood of a 60-year-old in 1989 it was higher than that in a different 60-year-old measured in 1995. We observed the same phenomenon over a wide range of ages.”

The researchers were at a loss to explain why testosterone levels had declined, after discounting the effects of obesity, smoking, and other lifestyle “co-morbid conditions.”

Shalender Bhasin, MD, of the section of endocrinology, diabetes, and nutrition at the Boston University School of Medicine, commented on the long-term study:

“This magnitude of change during such a short period is disquieting.”

Not only men but women and children exposed to high levels of endocrine-disrupting chemicals called phthalates present in plastics had lower testosterone levels than people exposed to lower chemical exposure.

Phthalates are “chemicals added to plastics to make them softer and more flexible (in shower curtains, for example). They also crop up in products from shampoo to laundry detergent to the coating on electrical wires. They’re widespread in the environment and previous testing has shown that 90 percent of adults have detectable levels in their bloodstream.”

A 50-year decline in male testosterone levels has been linked to an increase in related health conditions such as reduced semen quality in men and genital malformations in newborn boys, as noted in a different 2014 study published in the JCEM.

John D. Meeker, MS, ScD, of the University of Michigan School of Public Health in Ann Arbor, found evidence that reduced levels of circulating testosterone were associated with increased phthalate exposure in 6-12-year-old boys and men and women aged 40-60 and said:

“This may have important public health implications, since low testosterone levels in young boys can negatively impact reproductive development, and in middle age can impair sexual function, libido, energy, cognitive function and bone health in men and women.”

Avoid phthalates present in many cosmetics and personal care products:

• Non-organic/non-Essential Oil-based scented candles
  • Body spray
  • Most commercial perfumes
  • Air Fresheners
  • Scented bathroom sprays
  • Aromatic personal care products
  • Many fast-food items
When in doubt about a skincare product, check it out at the Environmental Working Group’s <https://www.ewg.org/skindeep/> Skin Deep</a> search engine. Toxic levels in commercial items are easily identified so health-conscious consumers can make better choices.

It's got to be something, because what passes for a man nowadays is scary.
You mean like people actually have testosterone anymore?:rolleyes:
Us old guys sowed enough wild oats, we're pretty much out of bullets.
The millennials are a bunch of candy's that live thru their thumbs on a smartphone screen and have never had any bullets.
I can't blame plastics, we had that back in the 70's, along with cars we had built the engines in, all to chase chicks.
The 'evolution of society' has removed the need for testosterone. Everyone has their own electronic surrogate 'playmate' today:(.

The millennials are a bunch of candy's that live thru their thumbs on a smartphone screen and have never had any bullets.
I can't blame plastics, we had that back in the 70's, along with cars we had built the engines in, all to chase chicks.
The 'evolution of society' has removed the need for testosterone. Everyone has their own electronic surrogate 'playmate' today:(.

SuperV this is so true,its a new generation and now the women act more manly than the men. In germny they are trying to turn all males into females now.

The fems tried to put us all to work!:ghostly:. I had a judge tell me to get a job. I told the fool I already had oen 3 teens 2 of which wer daughters. I took SOS to court for child support $60 a week didn't even pay the baby sitter.He was $30,000 behind on $60 wk, that tells he didn't pay.Plus he had married into the family and built the judge a house,he was a carpenter.
This woman put all that liberlism in the heads of the druggy hippies and they ran wiht it.:chevy:

SuperV this is so true,its a new generation and now the women act more manly than the men. In germany they are trying to turn all males into females now.
They won't have to do much...
Doctor: "So are you ready to have the extra body-parts you'll never use, removed? It's just a simple snip-snip?"
You'll be much happier:).;)

That and all the soy that is found in so many foods.
DW and I did studies on soy many years ago and the findings are scary, it's no wonder that there is so much sexual ambiguity these days. If anyone wants some very good information on what soy can do, the Weston A. Price Foundation is an excellent source. Over the years we have handed out three fold flyers that they allow people to download and print, they are called Soy Alert and almost always the people we have handed these to say "I thought that soy was healthful." and they thank us for the information. Their website is www.westonaprice.org The only safe soy products are those that are fermented and like Weedygarden has mentioned, "soy is found in so many foods" and I'll add, soy intake is almost impossible to avoid, even if we read the labels, what's allowed to be added to food is pretty scary and a lot of those things can be health destroying.

DW and I did studies on soy many years ago and the findings are scary, it's no wonder that there is so much sexual ambiguity these days. If anyone wants some very good information on what soy can do, the Weston A. Price Foundation is an excellent source. Over the years we have handed out three fold flyers that they allow people to download and print, they are called Soy Alert and almost always the people we have handed these to say "I thought that soy was healthful." and they thank us for the information. Their website is www.westonaprice.org The only safe soy products are those that are fermented and like Weedygarden has mentioned, "soy is found in so many foods" and I'll add, soy intake is almost impossible to avoid, even if we read the labels, what's allowed to be added to food is pretty scary and a lot of those things can be health destroying.
I have been to a few Weston A. Price meetings in my area. The information from the organization is excellent.

So.........is "BRAGG" brand Liquid Aminos bad for humans.......????

Supervisor42: You are so right. I used to think I spent half of my life chasing loose women and drinking cheap booze, and I wasted the other half. We already shot all of our bullets. Now I'm shooting blanks.

How could the world get turned so upside down in our lifetime? :dunno: More than two genders? Are you kidding me? If you have a gender identity crises look in your drawers. Put on your big boy pants, and MAN UP.

So.........is "BRAGG" brand Liquid Aminos bad for humans.......????

I can't advise, but I can tell you that we use an alternative product made from coconut in order to avoid the soy in liquid aminos. Coconut "aminos" is made from fermented sap of a coconut palm tree and sea salt. It tastes VERY similar without any of the soy.

The only thing a Person can do is to stop Eating Boxed, Canned, Processed Foods. Cook your Meals from Fresh Produce, Meats, and if possible Grind your own Grain and make your own Bread Products. I very rarely Eat any Pre-packaged or Processed Food anymore due to the added Phosphates, Colorants, Chemicals, Preservatives, and Soy. All of these Pollutants in our Food, Air, and Water, and over use of Medication is the reason why Testosterone Levels are dropping. Add to this a Severe lack of Exercise and you have a Recipe for Poor Health, low Hormone Levels, and Disease.

Latest posts

Back