Are We About to Have a NATIONAL DISH SOAP Shortage?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In a completely unrelated coincidence, P&G released their quarterly earnings today which was higher than was expected. Their stock price jumped 3.15% .
And WM still sux:rolleyes:.

Went to the little town today, only 2 places to get groceries. WM and a small southeastern chain… I already buy all my meat at the small store. They have a team of butchers that will cut anything I want.

This is what I found in the small store today. Not only were the shelves full, every bottle and brand of dishwashing liquid was marked down… Also, almost every cleaning product on the entire aisle was marked down. It seems they are expecting a large influx of products and are trying to clear the shelves as fast as possible.

So much for a shortage! ;)

Dish Soap (1)_v1.jpg

Dish Soap (2)_v1.jpg

BINGO! A shortage of dish soap at Squalmart, probably.
Walmart is bad about sending a memo to suppliers telling them what the 'new price' will be if they want to keep the "enormous Walmart contract".
Only one problem: that's not how a free market works.
They squeeze every dime out of supplier's profit that they can, even having them make a cheaper version (the WM store brand) to sell against their own product.
Walmart does not control commerce.
The tail does not wag the dog.
They have probably ticked off P&G enough to where P&G said:
"If people want our product we will make your customers go somewhere else to get them, take your contract and STUFF IT!".
(Ask Kmart how important that 'go somewhere else' phrase is:eek:).

There is no shortage of materials to make dish soap.
There is no shortage of companies to make dish soap.
There will be no shortage of dish soap.

^^ 100% this. ^^ Walmart's business models at work again...

One day they will wake up and realize that it really sucks to be a Walmartian.

Went to the little town today, only 2 places to get groceries. WM and a small southeastern chain… I already buy all my meat at the small store. They have a team of butchers that will cut anything I want.

This is what I found in the small store today. Not only were the shelves full, every bottle and brand of dishwashing liquid was marked down… Also, almost every cleaning product on the entire aisle was marked down. It seems they are expecting a large influx of products and are trying to clear the shelves as fast as possible.

So much for a shortage! ;)
:LOL:
Naw. They are just fixing to buy a whole bunch of WM customers!
One day they will wake up and realize that it really sucks to be a Walmartian.
Hey Grizzleyette! Guess how much it costs to buy a Walmart customer?
$1.39 !!! See above pic:D.
@Peanut , Great pictures!
And the small store is probably running a sale because they got a big price-break on their next order due to an abundance of bottles now available that will not go on WM shelves:).

Last edited:
Had to go grocery shopping today:(.
Made a point to go by the 'dish soap' aisle.
Everything fully stocked, many on sale. Didn't take any pictures, they would have looked just like @Peanut's anyway:rolleyes:.

I noticed yesterday at the Dollar General when I picked up two bottles of dish soap that the shelves were nearly devoid of dish soap. Normally you would have 200 or more containers, yesterday there were four... There certainly seems to be a bit of a run on "anything" cleaning related.

Dish soap and occasionally some chlorine bleach is about the only cleaning supplies we ever buy so I haven't noticed what all else may be running low. I went in a month ago to pick up some bleach to pour down the well for our yearly clean out and I couldn't find any bleach anywhere. I finally found a bottle of swimming pool tablets which left just one bottle of that at the building supply. I had to do some research to figure out how to go about using that in my well safely, but I have to admit it actually worked better than the bleach poured down the well, I am kind of glad I was forced into that, this seems a better way to go and that bottle should last me another 15 years or so.

Luckily we make our own laundry detergent and bought all of our supplies in early January as we ran out. Having just restocked on the materials to make the detergent we are good for another 2 1/2 to 3 years on laundry detergent.

There is something I am not familiar with. I buy the largest bottles of dish soap there, and keep several bottles of it. It will have many uses.

I have to watch my back around any items getting low on the shelves. Don't want one of those TP situations.
I forgot to order dish liquid though in my home delivery order yesterday.

I use 20 Mule team borax, baking soda and Fels Naptha soap.

We grate 3/4 bar Fels Naptha and boil until it dissolves in five gallons water, add 1 cup mule team borax and 1 cup baking soda and then pour it into our laundry detergent containers.

Sometimes I add a bit of other stuff for scent such as a scented bar soap in place of Fels Naptha and sometimes I add 1/4 or 1/2 cup of bleach to each container if I am expecting exceptionally dirty whites. With six kids we used to spend a fortune on liquid laundry detergent until we started doing this about 12 years ago.

Last edited:
I use 20 Mule team borax, baking soda and Fels Naptha soap.

We grate 3/4 bar Fels Naptha and boil until it dissolves in five gallons water, add 1 cup mule team borax and 1 cup baking soda and then pour it into our laundry detergent containers.

Sometimes I add a bit of other stuff for scent such as a scented bar soap in place of Fels Naptha and sometimes I add 1/4 or 1/2 cup of bleach to each container if I am expecting exceptionally dirty whites. With six kids we used to spend a fortune on liquid laundry detergent until we started doing this about 12 years ago.
:Thankyou:So much appreciate!! Going to give this a try :Thankyou:

We can't buy dish soap here unless its travel size and expensive. No one is buying it. Same with laundry soap. Lots of non HE soap but none for top loaders. I make my own as well.

Well ****......If you need a care package from Mississippi just HOLLER
I will send you soap..you pay the freight i will do the hoof work for no charge
know a trucker LOL....how much do you need??????

Last edited:
I appreciate the offer but with the exchange rate, 13% tax and applicable duties, plus shipping I'd rather invest in gold.

I am not short on it anyways and I can always let the dogs lick the plates. I just keep an eye on what's trending in the shortage department. It's getting time to shift a few things we hadn't thought about before the masses start feeling the pinch.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back