Are we in an info echo chamber?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Sentry18, Sep 11, 2019.

Help Support Homesteading Forum by donating using the link above.
  1. Sep 11, 2019 #1

Sentry18

Sentry18

Sentry18

Hired Gun Staff Member Moderator Neighbor HCL Supporter

Do you agree or disagree with the author?

http://beansbulletsbandagesandyou.com/bullets/2019/09/11/echo-chamber-danger-danger-danger/

Meerkat and Bacpacker like this.
  2. Sep 11, 2019 #2

Bacpacker

Bacpacker

Bacpacker

Awesome Friend Neighbor HCL Supporter

To some degree this site, and others similar to it probably fit the mold. I have to add though, at least on this site, there is quite a difference of option, outlook, on various topics. Folks are from all over the continent and the world, live in cities, farms, even remote areas. There are news post put up from a large varitey of sources. Topics cover the gamut.
    I would say we don't fit that mold much at all.

3. Sep 12, 2019 at 1:36 AM #3

Caribou

Caribou

Caribou

Time traveler Neighbor HCL Supporter

My opinion has been change by some here. I hope that I have change opinions. How else can we learn.

4. Sep 12, 2019 at 8:12 AM #4

Sentry18

Sentry18

Sentry18

Hired Gun Staff Member Moderator Neighbor HCL Supporter

I agree, I believe we have enough variety of thought and enough people strong enough to speak up to avoid the pitfalls of an echo chamber.

I also believe the echo chamber phenomenon is in large part why the seemingly nonsensical sheeple of our world cannot seem to use common sense or basic reasoning. They are so emerged in rhetoric and hyperbole that they could not find find "truth" with two friends, a map, a compass, and a flashlight.

Terri9630, Meerkat, Caribou and 2 others like this.
  5. Sep 12, 2019 at 8:40 AM #5

Curmudgeon

Curmudgeon

Curmudgeon

Malinois' are awesome. Neighbor

The latter is easier than the former.

6. Sep 12, 2019 at 10:12 AM #6

Meerkat

Meerkat

Meerkat

Awesome Friend Neighbor HCL Supporter

Being on a few forums over the last 17 years I have noticed that clique's do exist and in the long run close it down.
    So far I don't see that here. Some of us do disagree but we still accept each other and move on to things we agree on.
    And I learn from those who I disagree with, either I find out with more research provided they had a good case or proved me wrong.
    In preps,gardening, and also in religion and politics.
    Venom Jockeys friend Pess at PS was a great debater who had a lot of knowledge and eloguently proved me wrong a couple times. I liked him for his civil way of debating. Any friend of Pess is a friend to me,imo.
    As I do those of you here.

7. Sep 12, 2019 at 2:36 PM #7

VirginPrepper

VirginPrepper

VirginPrepper

Awesome Friend Neighbor

It is exactly why (and HOW)........the whole prepping movement, and the more serious "Prepping for LONGTERM Survival" got hi-jacked. And for several decades nudged in the wrong and flawed direction. The whole prepping movement got caught in an echo of flawed advise. Sad, very sad.

If you repeat flawed information often enough, eventually you can't get them to hear the truth. People don't confirm, by actually testing the advise. They simply accept that if everyone is echoing it, then it must be valid. Of course, they then start regurgitating the same flawed advise.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019 at 2:45 PM