Are we in an info echo chamber?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sentry18

Thrivalist
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Do you agree or disagree with the author?

http://beansbulletsbandagesandyou.com/bullets/2019/09/11/echo-chamber-danger-danger-danger/

Echo Chamber: Danger Danger Danger
Posted on September 11, 2019 by Spice

Proposed: Echo chambers are dangerous to fairness, rational thinking, and a civil but diverse society. It’s very easy, and very tempting, in this internet age to hear mostly from sources who agree with you and shut out all other voices. Then what you’re hearing only strengthens your belief that you Must be right. Understanding of other positions doesn’t happen and people who think otherwise are either disregarded entirely or treated as the enemy. Civil conversation promotes good society; propaganda undermines it.

echo.jpg

What’s an echo chamber?
When all or most of your news sources come from people who think like you, you’re in an echo chamber. When you only talk about topics of substance with people who agree with you, they’re always echoing your own opinions…again, an echo chamber.

What’s wrong with echo chambers if you’re right?
Hey, maybe you’re smarter than me, and most of the rest of humanity, and are completely in the right on your judgments and opinions. Certainly hearing things that agree with you is pleasant, so what’s the harm since you’re right?

The harm is that there are still lots of people out there with alternative interpretations and judgments. Even if all of their supposed facts are wrong and conclusions illogical, those are still the conclusions that will motivate those people.

Is it an important prep to know when a nasty chunk of weather might slam you with hurricane-force winds or inches of solid ice? Absolutely. Is it an important prep to have a clue when some subset of the population is so ticked off about something that they’re about to go into open rebellion? Heck yes! Does it matter if those people are wrong or ‘it’s not storm season’? Not even a little bit.

But my news sources will tell me what I need to know!
Not if you’re in an echo chamber, they won’t. Why not? Most of the people who write for those news sources live in the same echo chamber you do. They see the Others through the filter of their own biases; and they attend to, remember, and report on the parts that most agree with their preconceptions. Why? Because they’re human, and that’s what humans naturally do.

How do I know this? I go out of my way to read material from opposing echo chambers. They’re reporting completely different things. Even when both sides are doing their best to keep facts accurate, presentations and emphases are so different they don’t end up telling the same story at all. If the guy writing the news doesn’t understand what those <insert foolish other group name here> really think, he can’t help you understand it either.

No one echo chamber has it all right
I’ve read a fair bit of history (blame Salty; he taught me it’s not boring despite school experiences). Never have I come across any historical group that had everything *completely* right. No group had perfect information. No group made perfect judgments every time. And predicting the future? Hoo boy, soooooo much inaccuracy there.

Could your group be the first ever? Theoretically, yah. But don’t hold your breath. Your group may be waaayyy on the high end of rightness, m’kay, I’m not dissing your beliefs. The odds are just very far against perfection.

Which means, if you actually do listen to voices from outside your echo chamber, you could learn something. You might get an idea that wouldn’t occur if you just heard your usual party line. The hard part of course is you have to Really listen; just let other people talk while you plan your rebuttal.

But I’m not in an echo chamber!
Maybe not. But how do you get your news? Most people use one of two tactics: Refer to trusted sources, or follow interesting leads from some sort of internet filter.

Your favorite sources may be trustworthy, but they’re definitely in your echo chamber already. Those lousy other sites that annoy you with their inaccuracies? Well, lying outright will usually get their hind parts sued off, so their facts are more likely to be accurate — just maybe poorly choosen and wrongly interpreted and spun. You can sort through that, right?

Internet filters Love to create echo chambers. Why? Their advertisers love it. It provides a nice targeted audience. Does a gun seller want to waste its money advertising to a bunch of gun-haters? Of course not. So the service provider tracks your movements, figures out what you like, and offers you more of that. And just like that, the giant diversity of the Web is converted to an echo chamber.

How to escape an echo chamber
For news sources, it’s easy…maybe not attractive or fun, but easy. Intentionally read sources you normally disdain because of their obvious bias (towards the wrong-headed folks).

For personal interactions, it’s harder. We tend to hang out with people who have similar jobs, live in similar neighborhoods, are similar in age, share our religious beliefs, and otherwise are likely to inhabit our own chambers. And why not; we like lots of those people!

Well, nothing wrong with that. But you know what? There are other people who are fun to meet and talk to even if they’re wrong about a lot of stuff. The best way I know to meet them is to take up a hobby they might share. Then you’ve got something low-drama to talk about that you both like; it’s not just a series of disagreements. I met an eye-openingly diverse group of people when I joined my sport. I still don’t agree with a lot of them, but I’ve learned a lot and am richer for knowing them.

To some degree this site, and others similar to it probably fit the mold. I have to add though, at least on this site, there is quite a difference of option, outlook, on various topics. Folks are from all over the continent and the world, live in cities, farms, even remote areas. There are news post put up from a large varitey of sources. Topics cover the gamut.
I would say we don't fit that mold much at all.

I agree, I believe we have enough variety of thought and enough people strong enough to speak up to avoid the pitfalls of an echo chamber.

I also believe the echo chamber phenomenon is in large part why the seemingly nonsensical sheeple of our world cannot seem to use common sense or basic reasoning. They are so emerged in rhetoric and hyperbole that they could not find find "truth" with two friends, a map, a compass, and a flashlight.

Being on a few forums over the last 17 years I have noticed that clique's do exist and in the long run close it down.
So far I don't see that here. Some of us do disagree but we still accept each other and move on to things we agree on.
And I learn from those who I disagree with, either I find out with more research provided they had a good case or proved me wrong.
In preps,gardening, and also in religion and politics.
Venom Jockeys friend Pess at PS was a great debater who had a lot of knowledge and eloguently proved me wrong a couple times. I liked him for his civil way of debating. Any friend of Pess is a friend to me,imo.
As I do those of you here.

It is exactly why (and HOW)........the whole prepping movement, and the more serious "Prepping for LONGTERM Survival" got hi-jacked. And for several decades nudged in the wrong and flawed direction. The whole prepping movement got caught in an echo of flawed advise. Sad, very sad.

If you repeat flawed information often enough, eventually you can't get them to hear the truth. People don't confirm, by actually testing the advise. They simply accept that if everyone is echoing it, then it must be valid. Of course, they then start regurgitating the same flawed advise.

Last edited:
Interesting how some threads had wisdom seeded prematurely. Born before their relevant, died before they were relevant.

Last edited:
This site has evolved into a forum of people that have learned the old adage " agree to disagree" is not a bad thing.

This site is , " outta the box" because of its members.
This has prove to be a good thing IMHO.

Jim

While that is all warm and fuzzy and cuddly..........and very pleasant in the normalcy bias and sedated daily illusion of reality. (which I do enjoy.)

However it does not fabricate the required foundation for expedient and prudent response to serious SHTF reality.

Last edited:
While that is all warm and fuzzy and cuddly..........and very pleasant in the standard and somewhat sedated daily illusion of reality. (And I do enjoy that)

However it does not fabricate the required foundation for expedient and prudent response to serious SHTF reality.

SourD, I have picked up my marbles to go home many times but always realized we are all human and get upset,disagree and have ' hot ' debates at times o_O :D.

Plus all the stress and anger in this world today things will bother us more so than they use to.

While that is all warm and fuzzy and cuddly..........and very pleasant in the normalcy bias and sedated daily illusion of reality. (which I do enjoy.)

So what are we as a interwebs forum suppose to fabricate , in your opinion, for a foundation for expedient and prudent response for to a serious SHTF reality ? Are we suppose to share it in detail?

I can tell you , for me , myself , personally, I have a great foundation for expedient, prudent response to a SHTF reality.
I can't answer for anyone else on here , and I do not publicly share all aspects of my foundation.

Just me.

Jim

Last edited:
So what are we as a interwebs forum suppose to fabricate , in your opinion, for a foundation for expedient and prudent response for to a serious SHTF reality ? Are we see suppose to share it in detail?

I can tell you , for me , myself , personally, I have a great foundation for expedient, prudent response to a SHTF reality.
I can't answer for anyone else on here , and I do not publicly share all aspects of my foundation.

Just me.

Jim
This right here is the beginning of why I like you people. A (hopefully) respectful exchange of opinions that doesn't resort to hyperbole, straw-man arguements, or personal attacks.

We're in an echo chamber to the extent that we are like-minded enough to all join the same forum. But we all have different backgrounds, goals, and beliefs. Most importantly, we have enough respect for eachother not to belittle the things that make us different. Sure there are a few over-arching themes, but it's not the circle-jerk so many other sites have become.

Last edited:

That is good to hear. I sure wish that I did. I have poor foundation, but I am working on improving things.

Last edited:
That is good to hear. I sure wish that I did. I have poor foundation, but I am working on improving things.

I been working on mine for 40 years ,slowly and methodically. I am just now , at my old age, backing off , as I am satisfied that I am prepared to sustain My self and my wife , somewhat comfortably for quite a few years .
More than I will live most likely.

That didn't happen in short time.

I preached these things to my kids, my relatives ,friends for years to no avail.

So now it's just for the 2 of us.

Don't call me when SHTF, or a pandemic comes.

Jim

I'm patiently waiting for the next end of the world event in my life. I have survived a few and life always goes on. Yep! it gets hard and looks bleak for a while but you just do what you can and learn to be prepared for it. Before you know it you are ready for just about anything...and then a meteor streaks of of the heavens and ruins the new dog house you built. You salvage what you can and build a new one knowing full well that some things you just can't prepare for. Then you find out the meteorite is worth more than twenty dog houses and you come out ahead of the game. :)

Latest posts

Back