1. Welcome to Homesteading & Country Living. We are glad you came to visit.
    Dismiss Notice

Are you a motivated person when it comes to making stuff?

Discussion in 'Crafts and Arts' started by Patchouli, Mar 6, 2018.

Help Support Homesteading Forum by donating using the link above.
  1. Oct 3, 2019 #61

Shawn Burkett

Shawn Burkett

Shawn Burkett

Friend Neighbor HCL Supporter

Sooner or later that jar could explode. A lot of soaping forums have discussions about using jars. The only thing worse then having your lye solution flying everywhere is adding in little shards of broken glass. Some soapers use those batter bowls. That way you have a handle to hold on to.

Sentry18, Terri9630 and LadyLocust like this.
  2. Oct 3, 2019 #62

LadyLocust

LadyLocust

LadyLocust

Awesome Friend Neighbor

I've used the same jar for 4-5 years now and to be honest will continue to do so for this recipe. It's a thick jar to withstand a pressure canner. For very large batches I would have to find a different vessel. The temperature shock is what would cause it to shatter. I usually rinse the jar (warm or tepid water) and my rain water is tepid (room temp) as opposed to cold (refrigerated). I think quite a few folks have water filter pitchers and keep them in the fridge. I've seen drinking glasses shatter from shock of holding a cold drink to the sink of hot water. It's no different.
    *Of course- error on the side of safety! I'm just saying what I do. I like "sciencey" things and understand how to limit my risk. I don't wear gloves or goggles either. That said, I have a healthy respect for lye and am careful when handling it.
    Just a peculiar note- I find it intriguing that folks are afraid to make soap, but use toxic &/or carcinogenic chemicals in their laundry, personal hygiene products, cleaning products, and food simply because the reaction time is slower. Ex.-Toothpaste is toxic- that's why it says spit it out, do not swallow. (Just my opinion.)

3. Oct 3, 2019 #63

Terri9630

Terri9630

Terri9630

Internet Princess Staff Member Moderator Neighbor HCL Supporter

I only wear a glove on the hand holding the bowl. I don't use a stick blender either. Just an old wooden spoon to stir.