Are you a motivated person when it comes to making stuff?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've used the same jar for 4-5 years now and to be honest will continue to do so for this recipe. It's a thick jar to withstand a pressure canner. For very large batches I would have to find a different vessel. The temperature shock is what would cause it to shatter. I usually rinse the jar (warm or tepid water) and my rain water is tepid (room temp) as opposed to cold (refrigerated). I think quite a few folks have water filter pitchers and keep them in the fridge. I've seen drinking glasses shatter from shock of holding a cold drink to the sink of hot water. It's no different.
*Of course- error on the side of safety! I'm just saying what I do. I like "sciencey" things and understand how to limit my risk. I don't wear gloves or goggles either. That said, I have a healthy respect for lye and am careful when handling it.
Just a peculiar note- I find it intriguing that folks are afraid to make soap, but use toxic &/or carcinogenic chemicals in their laundry, personal hygiene products, cleaning products, and food simply because the reaction time is slower. Ex.-Toothpaste is toxic- that's why it says spit it out, do not swallow. (Just my opinion.)

Latest posts

Back