Are you Psychologically Prepared for SHTF

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope so.

I've been exposed to small slices of it hundreds of times as an EMT and firefighter.

There is nothing I haven't seen. SHTF would just increase the AMOUNT of it.

My biggest worry is that I will get bored and go looking for trouble just for something to do.

We'll be OK till my DW runs out of yarn :). We were grid down in 08 for 10 days when Ike came through, I had to fire up a propane lantern so she could do her crochet.

After that, it's Improvise, Adapt and Overcome.

Last edited:
I know I'm not going to gain any friends with this...

But when this kind of subject comes up, I always think of the "Going home" book. When I read that book I could tell that the author had never been in a real survival situation in his life, had never faced demons, his own or otherwise, that this book was written by someone who may have compiled really good checklists of gear, but who mentally had no idea what fear or hardship or loneliness was, and this was why his book was so laughable and impossible to take seriously.

Then later, when the author tapped out within hours on the "Alone" show, before he suffered any starvation, injury, cold, etc, I was not at all surprised. He was ultimately completely incapable of facing even the prospect of survival for more than a few hours before he broke.

I'd probably have to watch a few more vids from this guy, but he strikes me the same way.

Me yes. I prefer to face problems head on. I'm not a people person.

Wife no. She mentality subscribes to the theory that if you don't admit there is a problem then the problem(s) can't exist therefore she doesn't have to deal with it. Wife is a people person.

Last edited:
I like to think that I am. I have been through several crises in my life, and managed to keep a level head. Maybe we have been fortunate to have survived everything life has thrown at us thus far, and IMHO we are even better prepared now. It is hard to say until you actually have to face it.

I've spent lots of time where there is no help and in some cases no way to call for help and even if you can call help is days away. I am here so my problems were always within my capacity to sort out.

At the end of "Martian" he is lecturing the class and discusses fixing one problem and then another and if you fix enough problems you get to come home. A friend of mine sailed to Hawaii. He had problems with the boat and it broke him. When I got into the Azores my boat was broken as were most vessels. One cruiser put it well. We did more sailing on that one crossing than most sailors would do in a season and we would expect one major breakdown in a season. It is all in attitude.

Is anyone really mentally prepared for the unknown?

How you react to the things you're not prepared for, determines success in a bad situation. I know so many people who can't even deal with ugliness in a movie. They're all toast if the S hits the F, or at the very least they'll become entirely dependent government sheep in a bread line.

Am I mentally prepared? Probably not. But I have a "do what needs to be done" attitude. If that means going feet first into the crap, so be it. I'm also realistic. I have limitations. I can only do what I can do. In the end that will determine my course...

How many people meditate? How many of you are comfortable with who you are. Mental health begins within your mind when you are alone.
The calmness and closeness that you get in meditation or deep prayer can help you through the worst of a situation that is well beyond "normal".
The author of the above video has some good points and mental exercises of an unknown situation can help you cope with it if you use those exercises to plan alternatives. Deep prayer and meditation can clear your mind to provide help in extreme circumstances.
The attitude becomes "what can I do to make it better, safer and even fun."

There's a lot of great thoughts here already.

@Aerindel I am so pleased to find someone else who disliked those books! There was so much hype I had to read it, and was very disappointed.

My turn to be unpopular lol. I don't think any amount of reading up on or watching videos about being psychologically prepared is actually going to work at that push comes to shove moment when everything around you goes south.
I have seen much bragging on other forums over the past years. How they are going to handle everything. But what have they actually handled to date? They are not military, police, EMT or firefighters. They haven't travelled to, lived in or even seen with their own eyes the result of war, starvation or anything else. Have they had a bad experience that has taught them how they will react? Gun in the face? Knife? Been lost? Been electrocuted? Some people have never seen a dead body.
My point is that until something happens to you you have no idea how you will react. Fight, flight or freeze???
As for the down time part. Like others have mentioned you need to be happy and at peace in your own mind and alone. And not just for a few hours at a time. But for weeks or months before you know if you can handle loneliness. Many people just can't.

Lots of interesting comments. I posted the video as much to get folks thinking along those lines as anything. If someone hasn't been in a SHTF situation no way you know how you'll react. And every situation is different. What you may do great at with one situation, something totally different may throw you for a loop. But I do think giving deep thought to how you may deal with something and making plans at least have you considering options. Thats never a bad thing. Like the guy mentioned though, folks that are on phsyc drugs and need them now will be a mess when those run out, maybe even before when SHTF. Not gonna be good.

I know police, MET's, Military many have dealt with bad stuff, many on a regular basis. But some of those will crack when everything comes down around them and they don't have a full support system behind them. Thats a totally different situation. I've been in a couple bad situations over the years and reacted what I think was correct during them. But have zero doubt I'll struggle with other things. Best thing I have going for me IMO is being able to remain calm in most any situation. At least I have to this point in life. I think that allows you to think clearly and normally more rapidly when something comes up.

Glad to see lots of thoughts being posted.

I well aware of my limitations.
I am also well aware of my strong points.
I prepare mentally,physically as I can.
I do yoga, mediation,martial arts.
i also know what some people think when they meet me for the first time.
They see older woman, crippled up.
Easy target or so it seems.
What they don't see is Soldier, Law Enforcement Officer,Granny,Mom.
Who can kick a*** and take names later.

The most important concept for people to understand is Normalcy Bias.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normalcy_bias
Most researchers estimate that around 70% of people have Normalcy Bias - but compared to those of us who really embrace survivalism, the proportion of the population who cannot is probably quite a bit higher.

Before a disaster strikes, Normalcy Bias prevents most people from comprehending the threat posed by catastrophy. Even when similar catastrophies have occurred multiple times through human history, people with Normalcy Bias will assess that such an event could not happen again (without any logical basis for such a belief) and specifically cannot happen to them.

When a disaster strikes, Normalcy Bias will prevent most people from comprehending what is happening. They may deny the event and may become preoccupied with convincing others that the event is not happening. They may become angry or may just freeze up.

The responses of authorities will be shaped to allow for Normalcy Bias. They will avoid telling people too much scary news in too short a time "to avoid panic". What they are really doing is avoiding/minimizing the known responses of people who have normalcy bias.

Those of us without normalcy bias seem to be born that way. It is unclear if you can talk someone out of normalcy bias. It is unclear if any such short term change in mindset will be sustained in the long term.

I can suggest specific things you can do to become more conditioned to abnormal environments/challenges and specifically violence (the military does some of those things in their training) - but to Normalcy Biased people, that advice will make me look like a "Psycho" to them.

The most important concept for people to understand is Normalcy Bias.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normalcy_bias
Most researchers estimate that around 70% of people have Normalcy Bias - but compared to those of us who really embrace survivalism, the proportion of the population who cannot is probably quite a bit higher.

Before a disaster strikes, Normalcy Bias prevents most people from comprehending the threat posed by catastrophy. Even when similar catastrophies have occurred multiple times through human history, people with Normalcy Bias will assess that such an event could not happen again (without any logical basis for such a belief) and specifically cannot happen to them.

When a disaster strikes, Normalcy Bias will prevent most people from comprehending what is happening. They may deny the event and may become preoccupied with convincing others that the event is not happening. They may become angry or may just freeze up.

The responses of authorities will be shaped to allow for Normalcy Bias. They will avoid telling people too much scary news in too short a time "to avoid panic". What they are really doing is avoiding/minimizing the known responses of people who have normalcy bias.

Those of us without normalcy bias seem to be born that way. It is unclear if you can talk someone out of normalcy bias. It is unclear if any such short term change in mindset will be sustained in the long term.

I can suggest specific things you can do to become more conditioned to abnormal environments/challenges and specifically violence (the military does some of those things in their training) - but to Normalcy Biased people, that advice will make me look like a "Psycho" to them.
I don't think you're a "Psycho".
Maybe a little weird at times.
But heck so am I.
Little weird sometimes.

Many years ago learned that successful people unwind meditate at the end each day mentally reviewing the day and evaluating how they could have done better.

I have done that and it has served me well. Rather than trying to invent an optimal response on the fly, I can build on previous options and adapt to as needed.

I will spare the details but there was one time I was required to secure the quarter deck preventing anyone from boarding or departing the ship durring a security alert when there were 50 union steam fitters determined to go to lunch. One yelled lets rush him. I replied "The first seven will be sorry"

Then there was the time I walked into a computer room of a large medical facility where all of the processing had suddenly stopped to find my self in a semicircle of 3-peiece suits and one fellow said "We were told this system could never go down!" I kept my cool and everything resumed 10 minutes latter. (I got a nice atta-boy letter on the medical center letter head for that one).

In short staying calm in challenging times goes a long way.

Ben

And every situation is different. What you may do great at with one situation, something totally different may throw you for a loop. But I do think giving deep thought to how you may deal with something and making plans at least have you considering options. Thats never a bad thing.
Glad to see lots of thoughts being posted.
I think the worst for me would be a nuclear fallout situation where 3 people are stuck in the middle of the house for a week or longer. Since I can measure radiation levels, we will be safe if we don't do anything stupid.
Handling food, water, and human waste without going outside for a week would be a struggle, but doable.
However, keeping the other 2 sane, would be even more difficult.
a078.gif

...especially when it is all over and most people outside are either sick, dead, or dying.
Thank goodness we had a scrabble board! :thumbs:

(I don't spell SHTF with a little "s". Hurricanes are just an inconvenience)

I think the worst for me would be a nuclear fallout situation where 3 people are stuck in the middle of the house for a week or longer. Since I can measure radiation levels, we will be safe if we don't do anything stupid.
Handling food, water, and human waste without going outside for a week would be a struggle, but doable.
However, keeping the other 2 sane, would be even more difficult.View attachment 60280
...especially when it is all over and most people outside are either sick, dead, or dying.

You can laugh if you want but I may have to host 20 or more in the room I built as a fallout shelter.

Ben

However, keeping the other 2 sane, would be even more difficult.View attachment 60280

I think many people (including the guy in the youtube video) overestimate the probability of boredom during a very severe crisis.

Most groups will be dangerously shorthanded during a bad crisis. If they are getting bored, then they are doing multiple things wrong and/or are neglecting things they should be doing.

People will need to be keeping watch 24/7.

People will need to be monitoring the radio for important info - if someone is bored, teach them how to use the scan function on your (ham) radios and set them the task of finding out what is going on. That could be a full time job for a couple of people.

Set some the task of reading, recording and graphing the radiation levels. If you have a remote weather sensor, correlate the radiation readings to the weather parameters. Knowing which wind direction brings the most intense radiation can be life/death information.

Portable chemical toilets are the best way to handle human waste in a shelter.

Large tough trash bags are the best way to handle other wastes.

You can laugh if you want but I may have to host 20 or more in the room I built as a fallout shelter.

Ben
You're gonna need a bigger stick.
People will need to be monitoring the radio for important info - if someone is bored, teach them how to use the scan function on your (ham) radios and set them the task of finding out what is going on. That could be a full time job for a couple of people.

Set some the task of reading, recording and graphing the radiation levels. If you have a remote weather sensor, correlate the radiation readings to the weather parameters. Knowing which wind direction brings the most intense radiation can be life/death information.
You done read the book before, didn't ya'?
I don't feel alone anymore.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back