Are you Psychologically Prepared for SHTF

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was lost on the tundra probably 75 to 100 miles from the nearest house. I really couldn't tell you how far I was, I WAS LOST. Made my best guess as to where home was and worked my way in that direction. Eventually I got close enough that the red light on top of the radio tower appeared on the horizon. From that point on it was just head in the general direction of the red light. A couple hours later the city lights were visible and I was home. I'd head out a couple hours before daylight, hunt during the day and come home in the dark. It is not a good place to be if you panic.

Had my heart attack. I joked and told war stories with the flight nurses on the almost 3 hour medivac. Being worried would have been counter productive. I figure that my remaining calm saved my life. I had the added benefit that when I got to the hospital in Seattle they passed on that I was an old medic. I'm sure that's why I got all the pretty nurses.

I think the worst for me would be a nuclear fallout situation where 3 people are stuck in the middle of the house for a week or longer. Since I can measure radiation levels, we will be safe if we don't do anything stupid.
Handling food, water, and human waste without going outside for a week would be a struggle, but doable.
However, keeping the other 2 sane, would be even more difficult.View attachment 60280
...especially when it is all over and most people outside are either sick, dead, or dying.
Thank goodness we had a scrabble board! :thumbs:

(I don't spell SHTF with a little "s". Hurricanes are just an inconvenience)

You make a good point. I may feel comfortable or at least able to deal with the situation. How others in your group handle it, and how you have to handle them is an entirely different story. I guess it poses another question to the group. How do you deal with other group members be it family or friends who are not psychologically prepared, and who do not handle stress or change well? Those that will curl up into a fetal position and die. Those who will sit and do nothing expecting the Government to come and rescue them.

Morgan I think you got to the heart of why I started this thread. Like I am apt to do, I can't speak for stepping on my tounge. Lol.
Dealing with people. Whether its invaders, someone looking for a hand out, zombies, or people in you own group, dealing with people may be the hardest task in a SHTF situation. So many variables

Morgan I think you got to the heart of why I started this thread. Like I am apt to do, I can't speak for stepping on my tongue. Lol.
Dealing with people. Whether its invaders, someone looking for a hand out, zombies, or people in you own group, dealing with people may be the hardest task in a SHTF situation. So many variables

So true. IMHO many of us feel pretty comfortable and prepared. How you deal with all the other numbskulls that are going BS crazy when it hits the fan is another matter. I don't know if I am ready for that.

You make a good point. I may feel comfortable or at least able to deal with the situation. How others in your group handle it, and how you have to handle them is an entirely different story. I guess it poses another question to the group. How do you deal with other group members be it family or friends who are not psychologically prepared, and who do not handle stress or change well? Those that will curl up into a fetal position and die. Those who will sit and do nothing expecting the Government to come and rescue them.
I only need to worry about the wife. In case of imminent threat I expect she will do what she needs to or at least what she is told. It is the run up that will be the problem. She will worry herself to the point of uselessness. She will deny the problem until it is knocking on the front door and then she will open the door thinking that a friendly gesture will make the good in others come out. She doesn't want others to be evil so she won't see it.

I spent many years working as a clinician in a mental health clinic, before that trained/did EMT and Deputy so I have seen a few things. I fall back on my training/experience in most situations...what else can I do? My training has saved my hide more then once and I am 69. My rule of thumb is expect the unexpected and plan accordingly.

Grid down and being alone (&/or with Hubby) we are fine. Based on life experience, I tend to do fine during an emergency situation and when it's all said and done have my little breakdown, get it out of my system, then move on. I do know, I don't handle stupid people very well (at all!) so can't really say how I would deal with others/society. If I was where I could be away from the mass stupidity for the most part, I would fare better than having to deal with them regularly. Like others have said: The short answer is probably No, I'm not mentally prepared. But boredom, no internet etc. not an issue for me. Grid down, we go about our life; it just looks a little different.
Good thread. Good comments.

...Dealing with people. Whether its invaders, someone looking for a hand out, zombies, or people in you own group, dealing with people may be the hardest task in a SHTF situation. So many variables

I was a junior in High School. Physical Education (PE) class was over and the class had finished showering and we were getting dress. Some seniors were picking on a fellow junior (we'll call him "Ed") and I was trying to be the "gray man" finish dressing and getting out of there. Ed was standing on a bench when he snapped. Ed leap straight at me and screaming in rage. I didn't have time to think, I reacted. When my outreach hands made contact with Ed's chest I took a step sidewise. Using Ed's momentum against him and my arms as leverage, Ed landed across the locker room on the floor dazed. My reaction was totally instinctive.

I was First baseman in league softball. Left-handed batter came to the plate. I remember seeing the batter starting to swing...the next thing I remembered I was on my knees and my mitt in front of my face with the batted ball in the mitt. Again, reaction was totally instinctive.

Then there was the girl I was seriously considering marrying (we'll call her "Jane"). She was wearing my ring when she told me that she "Loved" me. She wasn't pleased when I responded with "I like you ALOT!" To me telling someone that you loved them meant forever. Jane was a waitress and would get off work at 10 PM. Our routine was for me to take her home after she was done working. I picked her as usual and we chit chatted as I took her home. I walked her to her door and said, "See you tomorrow morning". Tomorrow was Sunday. I worked six days a week so taking her home from work and Sundays was the only time we could spent together. Instead of saying, "see you in the morning" she handed my ring to me and told me she didn't love me any more. I just stood there speechless and stunned. Jane finally told me that I had better leave. I was half way home before I totally lost it emotionally.

All three of my life experiences above I was caught off guard. 2 out of 3 times I reacted instinctively. The third time my reaction was severely delayed.

Now I've written all this to say this. I believe I would react quickly and positively in all of Today's life scenarios (planned and unplanned) except perhaps those of betrayal. Your personal life experiences could indicate and be a good indication how you'd react when SHTF or worst when TEOTWAWKI.

Last edited:
I think I am probably a hard NO on being mentally prepared, IF it is a true SHTF experience like a nuke being dropped close by, a real pandemic like ebola where people literally drop in the streets, a nationwide long term blackout caused by a huge Yellowstone eruption, an asteroid hit, an evil alien or zombie invasion, etc. However, if it's something a little less dramatic, I'll probably be OK as long as hubs is OK too. If something bad were to happen to him, I'm sure I'd fall apart.....at least for a while. We have no issues spending time apart now, but I know when he's coming home and he doesn't go alone, like on fishing and hunting trips.

My SHTF scenario would certainly be different than someone else's. I think that's true with everyone. Snowflakes today that can't go two minutes without looking at their phone (and have no cash or supplies stocked), will have a hard time with a CME even if power is restored within a month. I think many on this forum would likely find some holes in their preps (like many of us did when the stores were stripped during CV), but will survive it just fine, b/c these are scenarios that we have thought about and prepared for. It's those scenarios that we don't consider that are going to be the ones that give us grief. There's just too many possibilites to consider to say one way or the other whether or not I'm truly mentally prepared. I'm sure there is a world where I do not want to exist.....I just don't know what that looks like yet. Hopefully I never will.

I agree LazyL, betrayal can certainly kick you in the gut hard. It's been many years since I've experienced that, but I remember all too well how that felt. I am wired to be loyal and fair, so I view disloyalty harshly and is why I really dislike manipulative people.

Last edited:
Mentally I'm fine, emotionally I adapt.
As long as I have coffee, chocolate and my guns I will continue to smile, though I may get tired of burying the bodies... ;)

I think I am probably a hard NO on being mentally prepared, IF it is a true SHTF experience like a nuke being dropped close by, a real pandemic like ebola where people literally drop in the streets, a nationwide long term blackout caused by a huge Yellowstone eruption, an asteroid hit, an evil alien or zombie invasion, etc. However, if it's something a little less dramatic, I'll probably be OK as long as hubs is OK too. If something bad were to happen to him, I'm sure I'd fall apart.....at least for a while. We have no issues spending time apart now, but I know when he's coming home and he doesn't go alone, like on fishing and hunting trips.

My SHTF scenario would certainly be different than someone else's. I think that's true with everyone. Snowflakes today that can't go two minutes without looking at their phone (and have no cash or supplies stocked), will have a hard time with a CME even if power is restored within a month. I think many on this forum would likely find some holes in their preps (like many of us did when the stores were stripped during CV), but will survive it just fine, b/c these are scenarios that we have thought about and prepared for. It's those scenarios that we don't consider that are going to be the ones that give us grief. There's just too many possibilites to consider to say one way or the other whether or not I'm truly mentally prepared. I'm sure there is a world where I do not want to exist.....I just don't know what that looks like yet. Hopefully I never will.

I agree LazyL, betrayal can certainly kick you in the gut hard. It's been many years since I've experienced that, but I remember all too well how that felt. I am wired to be loyal and fair, so I view disloyalty harshly and is why I really dislike manipulative people.
You brought up a great point. You said you know Hubby is coming home / is safe. I would suspect if someone was trying to harm one of my loved ones - especially the "youngins" I would probably go Mama Bear on them and protect them regardless of my own wellbeing. (Not saying that's wise, but don't be messin' with cubs.)

Last edited:
All my cubs are full grown with kids of there own, and one of the grands is married with a kid.

That makes me a GREAT, GRAND, father...

Not sure aanymore,but what did make me feel like I've had too much news just yesterday was when th ylights flickered yesterday for a few minutes I imagined a nuke!:ghostly:. I use to handle things most people couldn't but lately not so sure.

If the lights go out you just do without the electricity and start canning all your frozen meat. That will keep you busy while you get mentally and emotionally ready for the rest that will follow.

Life sucks and then you die now, no change after SHTF I would imagine. I just got my anxiety meds refilled , so I am good....

Seriously, it's all just a matter of degree. Everyone has problems in their lives now. Just look at the "what are you doing today" thread, it reads like a medical blog at times. How much worse can it get?

One of our 2 milk goats died a few days ago. She was pregnant, got injured somehow Vet stitched her up, gave her a shot of antibiotic and she appeared fine, but then a few days later I found her dead in the stall in the morning. So we lost a valuable goat plus her kids. I think she might have gone into labor early and the kids weren't ready, or she just had a heart attack or something. It made me think just a hundred or so years ago, a lot of women died just trying to give birth ( no c sections, no antibiotics , no blood transfusions) and a lot of kids died before they were even a year old. This still happens in some third world countries now Humanity has lived in SHTF state for most of its history. The current time is probably just a fluke soon to end.

If the lights go out you just do without the electricity and start canning all your frozen meat. That will keep you busy while you get mentally and emotionally ready for the rest that will follow.
This is my plan.
@sonya123 Sorry about your doe. Also, I know of a few instances that only current medical procedures have "saved a life" but rendered the patient either completely or to a great degree dysfunctional. Hubby and I have had this talk & I mean it in a loving way not a morbid way, but maybe not everyone is meant to live. Those I know are loved ones so I certainly don't wish ill for them.
In SHTF situation, those instances alone and like you mentioned childbirth and infant fatality would probably have an effect on the population.

Life sucks and then you die now, no change after SHTF I would imagine. I just got my anxiety meds refilled , so I am good....

Seriously, it's all just a matter of degree. Everyone has problems in their lives now. Just look at the "what are you doing today" thread, it reads like a medical blog at times. How much worse can it get?

One of our 2 milk goats died a few days ago. She was pregnant, got injured somehow Vet stitched her up, gave her a shot of antibiotic and she appeared fine, but then a few days later I found her dead in the stall in the morning. So we lost a valuable goat plus her kids. I think she might have gone into labor early and the kids weren't ready, or she just had a heart attack or something. It made me think just a hundred or so years ago, a lot of women died just trying to give birth ( no c sections, no antibiotics , no blood transfusions) and a lot of kids died before they were even a year old. This still happens in some third world countries now Humanity has lived in SHTF state for most of its history. The current time is probably just a fluke soon to end.

Sorry about your goat Sonya.Its always something with our animals and loved ones. This year started off bad with both for us. Hope its about to calom down.

Sorry about your goat Sonya.Its always something with our animals and loved ones. This year started off bad with both for us. Hope its about to calom down.

Well we had 5 healthy nice goat kids in the last few days and none are going to be needing extra milk from the milk goat. We had 3 boys overnight from a doe I worried about because she is around 8 years old and usually has a lot of kids ( 6!!!) . I was happy she only had 3 this year. The other one was having her first ones and one had a leg stuck backwards and the head was out crying already!! So I had to pull it out. Good thing I was there or she might have had a problem. So not only bad stuff happens, but....it seems like more bad than good stuff happens,

Well we had 5 healthy nice goat kids in the last few days and none are going to be needing extra milk from the milk goat. We had 3 boys overnight from a doe I worried about because she is around 8 years old and usually has a lot of kids ( 6!!!) . I was happy she only had 3 this year. The other one was having her first ones and one had a leg stuck backwards and the head was out crying already!! So I had to pull it out. Good thing I was there or she might have had a problem. So not only bad stuff happens, but....it seems like more bad than good stuff happens,

% in last few days, that sounds like alot to me but then last goat I had was in 1961. She was a pet.

If there was a dirty bomb, and suddenly work and school didn't matter anymore, I could adjust to that in an instant. New way of life, boom, bring it on. I've had plenty of practice uprooting myself and starting over. This pandemic **** is for the birds though. Being "forced" to spend 70+ hours a week in a 10x10 home office working and studying, going about life "as usual" is what's driving me nuts.

If there was a dirty bomb, and suddenly work and school didn't matter anymore, I could adjust to that in an instant. New way of life, boom, bring it on. I've had plenty of practice uprooting myself and starting over. This pandemic **** is for the birds though. Being "forced" to spend 70+ hours a week in a 10x10 home office working and studying, going about life "as usual" is what's driving me nuts.
That is the case for The Princess. Mind you she is still cute even if she hasn't seen sunlight in months.

;)

Ben

I am not sure I am ready & at 60 years old may not be able.
Military training & spending the first twenty years on a homestead has taught me thing that make people look at me funny, when I tell them.
I can raise cattle, milk a cow, butcher an animal, ride a horse with or with out a saddle. The one that gets the most looks is a rabbit box, how to build one & use one, make my own cured cane fishing pole.
I dislike hot weather & really cold weather, killing people to keep living is a big one. Living with having to kill hungry people because there is not enough to feed them & no way to get more food before spring.
Hopfully it will not come to that, but we have 30 people at the BOL, if the world fail tomorrow. Three gardens may keep us a live, but not sure we could help anyone else.

Just about any argument against the far left is likely to seem right wing. The only purposes of collecting information on people would be to control and monitor the people. We are supposed to be free of controls by the government, we are supposed to be in control of our government.

There will always be two party, the one that wins & the one that almost, but did not win. All other parties will just be window dressing, and can only serve to help the winner win.
This is sad, but true.

Latest posts

Back