Armadillo

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peanut

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
There has been an armadillo digging up my yard for 3 months now, making a nuisance of himself. I can't count the number of times I've taken the shotgun and flashlight for a walk around the yard and barns before going to bed.

I finally found his den today and shoved a couple of steel traps down it. Maybe I’ll get him tonight.

armidillo (2)_v1.jpg

...I finally found his den today and shoved a couple of steel traps down it. Maybe I’ll get him tonight.

Pour a gallon or two of Clorox bleach down the hole and then cover the hole? Clorox bleach = chlorine = At room temperature, it is a greenish-yellow gas with a choking smell, which is denser than air = WMD

Pour a gallon or two of Clorox bleach down the hole and then cover the hole? Clorox bleach = chlorine = At room temperature, it is a greenish-yellow gas with a choking smell, which is denser than air = WMD
You need to follow the bleach with ammonia.

You need to follow the bleach with ammonia.
That's a good way to get dead. The ammonia releases the chlorine into gas form. Numerous deaths have occurred by mixing these two household cleaners.

That will make a mixture of chloramine and hydrazine. You really don't want to get close enough to cover the hole after the application.
If you want just chlorine gas use some battery acid with the bleach.
If you want something really nasty that will continue to work for four or five days then mix the bleach with ... sorry, that would kill you and probably your neighbors and all life in a large area down wind.
A 30-30 is more predictable and selective.

When you shoot them they jump straight up in the air and run right at you :). Maybe not with a shotgun but when I hit them with my pistol they do.

That's a fact! They'll run right at you! It happened to me a couple of times, it's why I break out my old single shot 20gauge for them. It turns out they have extremely poor eye sight and are extremely dumb. The only thing they have going is their sense of smell.

Either he didn't come out of his den last night or I have the wrong den. From the soil disturbance I know something had been in or out of the den in the last 48 hours. I was hoping it was the dilla. Neither of my traps had been touched this morning though. :(

That's a good way to get dead. The ammonia releases the chlorine into gas form. Numerous deaths have occurred by mixing these two household cleaners.

Clorox is 5% chlorine (sodium hypochlorite). Chlorine gas is 2 1/2 times heavier then air and corrosive when in contact with water. Poured down into a hole the goal is the varmint to breath it in thereby replacing the oxygen in the varmints lungs. If you add or mix other chemicals within you are doing so at your own risk.

I have had the same issue! My yard is trashed. I have a live trap that is set in it's path, a leg-hold steel trap in a couple other spots too. You're lucky you found the burrow. I can't find this one's burrow. If you know it's in there, the best trap would be a conibear 220. However, whatever gets in it is DEAD...... that means animals that you might want alive. Just a tip.

That's a fact! They'll run right at you! It happened to me a couple of times, it's why I break out my old single shot 20gauge for them. It turns out they have extremely poor eye sight and are extremely dumb. The only thing they have going is their sense of smell.

Either he didn't come out of his den last night or I have the wrong den. From the soil disturbance I know something had been in or out of the den in the last 48 hours. I was hoping it was the dilla. Neither of my traps had been touched this morning though. :(
It's not really supposed to be funny but it just cracks me up. I call it the Dillo Flop...I've never seen an animal with such a wild nervous system. I've had them run up my leg...run straight into trees, run around in circle after circle...Never seen an animal go so crazy. I shoot them with my 17HMR ALL the time sometimes 6-8 a week...They just keep coming. I too was going to be Mr. Humane until I actually did twist my ankle in a hole. Made me mad and i shoot them every chance I get. Nasty buggers carry Leprosy on their feet too. I'm thinking there are no know cases of human transference but still...LEPROSY??? That's crazy in my opinion.....

I too was going to be Mr. Humane until I actually did twist my ankle in a hole.

Nasty buggers carry Leprosy on their feet too. but still...LEPROSY??? That's crazy in my opinion.....

I've turned my ankle a couple of times, nothing serious... My dad is 84, he could easily break an ankle or a hip if he falls.

I just read about the leprosy thing today, strange! I was doing some research, I think I'm dealing with a female with a litter.

Last edited:
I hear you can eat em, are difficult to butcher but do have the bonus of coming in their own cooking pot:rolleyes:

After the reports I read today I won't eat one. The going theory among researchers is that leprosy can be spread to humans by handling and eating dillo's. I think I'll pass on possum on a half shell.

I found out by accident that the silly dillers will walk into any box trap that is parallel to any wall (such as the side of a building, or even alongside planks of wood which will encourage a critter to walk alongside it. No bait is needed.

I have caught lots of armadillos that way.

Last edited:

Maybe he used the back door!

Latest posts

Back