ASL word flashcards

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elkhound

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
ASL..american sign language....i ordered a set of 75 basic flashcards a few weeks ago to start learning to sign. theres going to be a need for this in my life sooner rather than later and i want to be able to communicate with someone when that time comes. i also looked at this in another fashion because of anothers aging troubles and we all agreed this might be something for sure needed as i pointed out the ease it might be in certain cases to communicate with each other if xyz happened or in certain situations.

so far we picked out the most important cards to learn the most important signs..or what we think of us as most important..like help...hungry..hurt and so on.

even in worst case we thought just these nice heavy cards can be used to communicate instead of trying to write down the word or words each time. so there was that to consider..the cards are nice heavy plastic and only cost $13 for the 75 set.

Awesome! Good for you. This is a different scenario but babies learn sign before they are able to speak. My daughter would ask for a bath or to play and was forever hungry and could tell me by sign as a baby. She spoke complete sentences by two so not sure how old when she could sign. Also handy when I taught preschool. I taught the kids a few simple signs (which is all I really know) and I could tell them to sit down or stop or be quiet without pausing the story or instruction etc.
I wish I knew more- might have to watch the video when I have a few minutes.

My grandchildren's parents teach them to sign also. It is a very effective way of teaching them how to communicate, it helps them to express what they want.
And it is just like speaking a foreign language. If you're signing to someone else who also signs, they might not know what you're saying. EDIT to add: other people wouldn't know, or be able to hear anything from your hidden location. (wink wink)
Great ideas, @elkhound @LadyLocust

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back