Asphaltenes in diesel tank

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Strycnine

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Anybody dealt with asphaltenes in a diesel fuel tank? My Miller welder has it in the tank and it's nasty!
1029181556.jpg

Have NO idea what that even is...

Care to explain...what and how !?

Thanks...

It’s basically this:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/asphaltenes-diesel-fuel-ed-miller

“Asphaltenes in diesel fuel are a major concern with today’s ultra low sulfur diesel fuel (ULSD). Asphaltenes are molecular substances commonly found in crude oil and in the form of asphalt, but are now being found in ULSD. There are many theories that exist as to where these molecules are coming from.

Some theories suggest they are the result of removing sulfur from ULSD, in which doing so also removed aromatic content in diesel fuel. So, this removal of aromatics caused them to no longer be able to be dissolved and dispersed. Another theory says the cause of them is high pressure, sometimes around 37,000 psi, along with fuel being continuously re-circulated at temperatures of 150 ˚C in the common rail found in diesel engines. This then results in asphaltene droplets that conglomerate together turning filters and diesel fuel black. Fuel inside one engine manufacturer’s injector actually reaches a temperature around 300 ˚C. These theories in reality can be combined. “

It’s basically this:
...fuel being continuously re-circulated at temperatures of 150 ˚C in the common rail found in diesel engines. This then results in asphaltene droplets that conglomerate together turning filters and diesel fuel black.
What he said.
I'd like to add that the engine, exhaust system, and fuel tank being packaged together, like in a welder, will amplify this fuel heat problem.
All of the parts are usually crammed together to make a small package. If exhaust parts (like the muffler) are close to the fuel tank, some stick-on heat barrier material on the fuel tank will help reduce the problem; especially if the unit was designed before ULSD became common.

We have the same exact welder at work and it has no issues like mine.

I guess I need to clean it all and go again. The tank was put on new about 2 years ago.

Latest posts

Back