Baking BREAD From (23 Years) STORED Wheat!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wheat berries found in the pyramids still sprouted.

back in early 70's they sprouted peas that were found at Pompeii under all the ash and grew them out to production to get peas.thats some pretty old genetic material too. plus i have posted about the old date seeds that were sprouted from middle east and now the trees are producing dates from a lost cultivar. those seeds were 2000 years old. it gives me hope on some very very old apple seeds i want to try and sprout from some small crabapple trees from a very remote place i gathered . seeds are am amazing thing.

back in early 70's they sprouted peas that were found at Pompeii under all the ash and grew them out to production to get peas.thats some pretty old genetic material too. plus i have posted about the old date seeds that were sprouted from middle east and now the trees are producing dates from a lost cultivar. those seeds were 2000 years old. it gives me hope on some very very old apple seeds i want to try and sprout from some small crabapple trees from a very remote place i gathered . seeds are am amazing thing.
I know a lot of it is the conditions in which the seeds are preserved. Seeds have their own preservation coatings too! On a small scale, after my mom passed, I found a plain white envelope marked "heirloom tomatoes", 1993. I planted them in 2010 and they grew. I saved their seeds but had no luck with them🤔! Her envelope was in a drawer in her utility room!

I know a lot of it is the conditions in which the seeds are preserved. Seeds have their own preservation coatings too! On a small scale, after my mom passed, I found a plain white envelope marked "heirloom tomatoes", 1993. I planted them in 2010 and they grew. I saved their seeds but had no luck with them🤔! Her envelope was in a drawer in her utility room!
i had some tomato seed given to me in 80-81.they were in a pill bottle in freezer since then. i decided one year to try them as the seed originally came from an elderly woman in her 90's back then. she didnt know the name but said no longer available. the guy that gave them to me passed as well.i think it was in 2017 making them 37 years old. they sprouted and i grew tomatoes that were almost white..they were like a light yellowish white translucent color. in looking around they are classified as a white tomato and baker creek sold similar looking tomatoes at one time.

my grandaddy was a seed saver and i found seeds in tins,coffee jars,envelopes etc. from the house to the shed...lol...i have tomato seed going back to early 90's myself. on paper towels in envelope in kitchen cabinet.i just keep them so if i want i go back and recover genetics if need be. people do all this fermenting tomato seeds. i cut open ,put seed on paper towel and let dry. never had them not sprout.

Last edited:
I always buy way too many seeds each year. I use a Sharpie to label them so that I can easily see what year they are from. Then I sort them by seed types, such as tomatoes, peppers, cabbage, and organize them by year. I always plant some of the oldest tomato seeds that I have, and I have had great success with them.

This story is a great example of why wheat is a great thing to store in your preps. Our ancestors, particularly in Europe ate lots of bread, and anything else was luxury.

I have a question that's sorta related so will put it here. Does anyone have any suggestions (or full proof methods!) of getting bread to rise at low altitudes. I find all sorts of charts for high altitudes but not for low. We are about 680' above sea level and it seems to take forever then is still very heavy. I've lived in the mountains for so long 2500'-4500' elev. that it's not normal to me to have flat bread.

warmer place to rise and dash of sugar in with yeast when you proof it.

The tell tail symptom is that it is dense or heavy. Look that up and correct it and your bread will be fine.
As I recall too much kneading, too much flower, over proofing (letting it rise too much) are the normal causes.

from a survival standpoint..if nothing else mix up this flour in pancake type batter and get to pouring and flipping.cram it down our pie holes and get to work in shtf deal.

Latest posts

Back