Baking bread without electricity just by candles.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jazzy

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
i saw this and thought it was very interesting. ive not tried it but im going to. he uses the little tea light candles and yup, bakes some bread. never know when it might come in handy.

ok looks like you have to click on 'play on youtube'.

i saw this and thought it was very interesting. ive not tried it but im going to. he uses the little tea light candles and yup, bakes some bread. never know when it might come in handy.

ok looks like you have to click on 'play on youtube'.

Easy bake oven!!!!

You can get a camp oven and use it for baking. The camp ovens are limited in size, so it would be important to double check the pan size before getting too far along in the process, to make sure we have pans that would work.

Coleman camp stoe.JPG

@jazzy, you'll have to let us know how your experiment goes. I confess I haven't watched the video yet, but I'm having a hard time imaging that it would work. If it does - awesome!

@Weedygarden, I just got that camp oven!
I like how it folds down for easier storage and packing. It can be used on a camp stove, over a fire, on top of a wood burning stove.

I like how it folds down for easier storage and packing. It can be used on a camp stove, over a fire, on top of a wood burning stove.
When it arrived I was totally blown away by how flat it is, all folded down. So easy to store.
Of course, I haven't actually USED it yet.... :rolleyes:

weedy,
i have that oven too and its great. i put it on my wood stove to toast or heat things up. ive not baked bread with it yet but ive done other things. i like it .

@goshengirl, when i try it out ill post. it is a small dough ball in a small stainless bowl---pretty neat.

I can not see your video

NO ONE tell my hubby about this!!! I can just hear it now during the next power outage, "why don't you make some brownies or a cake on the woodstove"?🤫😊

I've had that camp stove for years now. Very handy. You can even use charcoal in the bottom but use something to hold them.
I haven't done bread per se, but I've done corn muffins and biscuits.
I've sat it on a grate over a wood fire and over one side of the gas grill and I've used charcoal.
It has a temp gauge on the front of the door but I don't trust it so I just made sure to check everything while baking.

You can get a camp oven and use it for baking. The camp ovens are limited in size, so it would be important to double check the pan size before getting too far along in the process, to make sure we have pans that would work.

View attachment 75455
Yes check your pan size.
I've found that a muffin tin with 6 cups in it works best.
And a 8x8 square pan and a 9 inch pie pan are the ones that fit best
I haven't tried one of my bread pans though

I have the camp chef deluxe outdoor oven. A few Thanksgiving's ago, I made all our side dishes in it because our oven went out. It runs on propane. Easy to use. More expensive than the one above, but you can put a baking dish in it and control the temp easy.
Mine doesn't use propane, but now I want to get one that does. Mine sits on a stove for heat, such as a camp stove.

I sent one of those folding ones to MIL in California when they started in with the blackouts. Just in case. She's not a prepper, though, and thinks I'm nuts. I sent her a non electric coffee pot, too.
I think I mentioned they're selling the non electric keurig machines here...$34.00. The amish are buying them up. That's a novelty.

I noticed in the video of the OP that the person said the bread done with the tea lights was "wetter" than the piece they did in the regular oven.
By the looks of it they more or less "steam" the bread when using the tea lights.

I noticed in the video of the OP that the person said the bread done with the tea lights was "wetter" than the piece they did in the regular oven.
By the looks of it they more or less "steam" the bread when using the tea lights.
Water vapor is one of the products of burning a candle.

Ben

I am surprised at how well the candle worked, with 500 candles in storage, this is a really good tip, but what to do when we have not more candle or any way to make candles.

that is so logical and practical i feel frikken stupid for not thinking about it earlier. i can totally do this. thank you so much for posting this cabin fever.

just look at all the neat things people share and post, is this a great place or what?

that is so logical and practical i feel frikken stupid for not thinking about it earlier. i can totally do this. thank you so much for posting this cabin fever.

just look at all the neat things people share and post, is this a great place or what?
When I bake in a dutch oven outdoors, I would place a pile of coals on top of the dutch oven lid. You'll notice that there is no need to put coals on the lid of the dutch oven when using it to bake inside a woodstove.

Latest posts

Back