Baking Soda--Sodium Bicarbonate

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Last year, I read this article on Survival Blog by Sarah Latimer, and found it interesting. https://survivalblog.com/household-basics-in-teotwawki-part-1-by-sarah-latimer/

Prior to this article, I had gotten some 13.5 pound pouches of baking soda for my preps, but didn't even know how difficult Sodium Bicarbonate would be to acquire in a SHTF situation and how important it could be to have. Currently, a pouch at Costco is $6.99.

Household Basics in TEOTWAWKI- Part 1, by Sarah Latimer

"...Baking Soda- Sodium Bicarbonate
Baking soda is one item that I think most people take for granted. It is classified as an acid salt, formed by combining an acid and a base, and it reacts with other chemicals as a mild alkali. At temperatures above 300 degrees Fahrenheit, baking soda decomposes into sodium carbonate, water, and carbon dioxide. It’s used as a leavening ingredient in biscuits, pancakes, and other breads. When combined with an acid, such as lemon juice, carbon dioxide gas is released. As the gas expands during baking, the cell walls expand also, resulting in a leavened biscuit, pancake, or other bread. This is how I use it most, but I also use it all around the house, in the kitchen sink, in the refrigerator, all over the bathroom, in the laundry room and washing machine, and even at my dressing table in deodorant.

Baking soda has many other uses in the home, in addition to its use as a leavening agent. I use it in cleaning, deodorant, toothpaste, laundry, medicine, and neutralizing water pH. I’ve even used it to put out a small kitchen fire, as it is a fire retardant. It’s pretty useful stuff!

It’s crystalline structure makes it a good abrasive for cleaning those hard surfaces gently without scratching them. For this same reason it is used as an ingredient in toothpaste or even used as a tooth abrasion alone with just water. I find that the combination of baking soda and vinegar left to foam and sit for ten minutes on the grime and mineral deposits on my porcelain sinks and tubs before I lightly scrub with a brush and rinse works beautifully without damaging our septic system. Remember that in TEOTWAWKI, we won’t have septic pump service so it will be more important than ever to keep our delicate septic systems working. We’ll need that bacteria alive and breaking down its contents to keep the septic draining without filling up. It is my belief that we should practice now, as much as it is practical to do so, what we will need to do then so it won’t be foreign and add to the stress.

Baking soda’s odor absorbing qualities make it good as an ingredient in deodorant, for keeping a refrigerator and carpet smelling fresh, and as a laundry additive. Plus, its mild alkalinity helps break down fatty acids contained in dirt and grease into a form of soap that can be dissolved in warm water and then easily rinsed away.

So, what I’m telling you is that I use baking soda to bake with but also as an ingredient in many of the items that I make for our family that would otherwise be purchased and in a TEOTWAWKI situation unavailable. I also use baking soda to make healthier versions of household items than what is available at the big box stores, and this is important to me right now, even though I have other options available, because our family’s health is of precious value!

Those of us living in the west and certainly in the Redoubt are fortunate that the raw material used to produce baking soda is found nearby– in Colorado and Wyoming. However, it does require processing. Baking soda is not something that you are going to find lying around in the woods, be able to dig out of your back yard, or collect from a plant or animal, even though Egyptians did find natron, which contains some sodium bicarbonate, in saline lake beds that they used for cleaning, antiseptic, soap making, and even mummification. We’re just not going to find the baking soda we are used to using lying around. Sodium bicarbonate must be extracted from mineral compounds, which are usually found deep within the earth.

Production

Today, most of the baking soda that is produced comes from soda ash processed out of a mined mineral called trona. Trona is a relatively rare sodium-rich mineral, but it is Wyoming’s main export. Wyoming is a major producer of trona, which is mined and then processed into soda ash. Soda ash is a significant economic commodity because of its use in manufacturing glass, chemicals, paper, detergents, textiles, paper, food, and in conditioning water. Soda ash is an ingredient in both baking soda and in detergents. Not only did the Egyptians use natron, but they used soda ash to make glass containers. The early Romans used soda ash as an ingredient in medicines and also in bread.

Mining in Wyoming occurs at depths ranging from 800 feet to 1600 feet below the surface in trona beds that are 8 to 14 feet thick. The trona ore is recovered utilizing dry or wet methods and then processed into soda ash.

I’m not fond of this organization, but the Bureau of Land Management has quite a lot of information about the mining of trona. According to their website, “Dry mining is similar to underground coal mining; the mine workings are developed using room-and-pillar and longwall mining techniques. The mining cycle includes shearing the trona from the face with either a longwall shearer or continuous miners and then loading it onto conveyor belts. The conveyor belts move the trona to ore skips that carry it to the surface through vertical shafts. The recovered trona ore is stockpiled on the surface to be used as feed for the processing plant. Wet mining (solution mining) is done by injecting a solution from the surface into the trona deposit using a series of bore holes as injection wells. This is done in either previously unmined ground or in the mined-out areas of active operations. In both cases, the injected solution dissolves the trona ore which saturates and enriches it. Subsequently, the saturated solution is pumped to the surface through recovery wells for further processing into soda ash. Some mine operators use dry recovery methods for primary ore extraction and then wet mining methods for secondary recovery. This technique results in maximum recovery of the trona reserve, some of which was previously considered unminable.”

The above described mining process of extracting trona and processing it just gets us to the production of soda ash, which is sodium carbonate, and that’s not the sodium bicarbonate that we are using as baking soda in our households today. From soda ash, it still needs to be dissolved in water and treated with carbon dioxide in order to precipitate solid sodium bicarbonate. This is known as the Slovay process. So, baking soda is really a natural bi-product of trona, or other minerals... more to the article that won't fit here. Click on the link to see all of it.

Last edited:
Really good read. Thank you for reminding me to go out and get a few more boxes!

I thought it was worth sharing and discussing. Like salt, it is one of the things that we can probably never have too much of in a SHTF situation. It could be good for bartering with.

There is more to the article that wouldn't fit in one post, if anyone is interested in reading or printing out the whole article.

My daughter has gotten stuff in batches from her dad's family. Her grandparents were smokers, and even though stuff was stored in plastic bins, every time she gets a new batch, the smoke wreaks from the stuff. She has been using baking soda and vinegar combined in the washing machine to release the smoke smell from clothing, quilts, and other fibers.

I bought a 50# pal of sodium bicarb to store with my LT food. If stored properly it should have an indefinite shelf life. I made sure to purchase aluminum free and food grade. I would be using it mostly for making laundry detergent, toothpaste, and medicinal uses. As Weedy stated, it's not something that would be readily available in an emergent situation. I would certainly rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. With an indefinite shelf life, I thought it was prudent to have.

After reading some reviews on it, I purchased the book as well and have it stored with the bucket. I can just see someone going thru my stuff one day and wondering.....why the hell does she have a bucket of this? I hope by leaving the book there, they'll be able to figure it out. That is.....if I never have to use it myself. For everyday uses now, I just buy the smaller packs from the grocery store.

Here's what the seller Duda Energy had to say about it: Sodium Bicarbonate has an indefinite shelf life, if you leave it sealed in the bag and store it in a cool, dry location. If you leave it open (such as in the fridge) then it is typically 9-12 months.

I bought a 50# pal of sodium bicarb to store with my LT food. If stored properly it should have an indefinite shelf life. I made sure to purchase aluminum free and food grade. I would be using it mostly for making laundry detergent, toothpaste, and medicinal uses. As Weedy stated, it's not something that would be readily available in an emergent situation. I would certainly rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. With an indefinite shelf life, I thought it was prudent to have.

After reading some reviews on it, I purchased the book as well and have it stored with the bucket. I can just see someone going thru my stuff one day and wondering.....why the hell does she have a bucket of this? I hope by leaving the book there, they'll be able to figure it out. That is.....if I never have to use it myself. For everyday uses now, I just buy the smaller packs from the grocery store.

Here's what the seller Duda Energy had to say about it: Sodium Bicarbonate has an indefinite shelf life, if you leave it sealed in the bag and store it in a cool, dry location. If you leave it open (such as in the fridge) then it is typically 9-12 months.

I am curious about which book you have? I looked on Amazon and it seems there are a few books that are about many uses for sodium bicarbonate. There are many, many uses for baking soda, sodium bicarbonate--baking, cleaning, cleaning car batteries,

I was at Costco yesterday and the 13.5 pound package was $5.55 on the shelf, versus the $6.99 they have it for on their website. Later I was at Safeway and saw a 1 pound box for $.99. I like the plastic bags from Costco because the plastic will keep it from absorbing odors or moisture, while the box will not, unless we repackage it.

Really good read. Thank you for reminding me to go out and get a few more boxes!
Rereading this thread and saw your post about baking soda in boxes. I used to buy baking soda in boxes from the grocery store. Leaving baking soda in the boxes has been something that people have put in their fridges to absorb odors. If I was still buying it by the box, I would consider repackaging it into glass jars.

Since I've been buying baking soda in the larger bags, I keep a pint jar of it in my cupboard, but am considering putting some in a spice jar on my new spice shelves. I don't bake as much as I used to and a spice jar of baking soda could last quite a while for me.

This would be a good thing to print out on a card or in a cooking binder for future reference. I wonder about the shelf life of Cream of Tartar, and the origins?

The Difference Between Baking Soda and Baking Powder.

Baking soda is much stronger than baking powder. To make baking powder, mix one part baking soda and two parts cream of tartar. So, if you recipe calls for 1 tablespoon of baking powder, use 1 teaspoon of baking soda, mixed in with 2 teaspoons of cream of tartar. If you are storing the homemade baking powder instead of using it right away, stir in 1 teaspoon of cornstarch.

Homemade baking powder is not double acting, and will start to react as soon as it gets wet, so work quickly and don't let your batter sit around!

I love this experiment for testing if our baking soda is still good or not. I've used it more than once in science experiments of volcanoes, but it is not nearly as exciting as using chemicals which are not allowed in classrooms. (I have seen those chemicals used! It is more like a real volcano. I will have to search for what those are in my Montessori teacher guides.)

https://www.simplyrecipes.com/does-baking-soda-go-bad-6265587
While baking soda tends to have a long shelf life, it can lose its strength over time and lead to flat baked goods. Use this simple trick to test your baking soda’s potency.

Baking soda, also known as sodium bicarbonate or bicarbonate of soda, is a pantry staple. It can be used to leaven baked goods like cookies, cakes, and breads, and is an effective and eco-friendly cleaner.

Baking soda is a base (with a pH of 9.5) that reacts with acidic ingredients like vinegar, lemon juice, buttermilk, and cream of tartar to produce carbon dioxide. This is what gives quick breads and batters their rise.

Potent, fast-acting baking soda is key in recipes that call for the ingredient. Otherwise, the necessary chemical reaction won’t take place and you could end up with a flat, stodgy cake.

Does Baking Soda Expire?​

Technically, no, baking soda does not expire. Even though containers are often printed with a sell-by or use-by date, this is a ballpark estimate for when baking soda could begin to lose its efficacy.

The general rule of thumb is: when stored properly, baking soda will last for two to three years sealed in its original container. Once opened, it will keep for at least six months. While baking soda never “goes bad” in a way that would make you sick, at some point it will stop working as well as it should, producing inferior bakes.

How to Tell If Baking Soda Has Gone Bad​

If you’re not sure how old your baking soda is, use this test to ensure it still works properly. Even when buying brand new baking soda, it’s a good idea to test it before using. This is because you don’t know how long the package has been on the shelf at the market or how it’s been stored.

Luckily, there’s a quick and easy trick for testing the potency of your baking soda:
  1. Add roughly 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda (no need to measure) to a small bowl.
  2. Add about 1/2 teaspoon of white vinegar or fresh lemon juice (again, no need to measure) to the bowl and watch.
  3. The acid and base should react immediately, just like in the classic grade school volcano experiment. If the mixture fizzes and bubbles up aggressively, then the baking soda is in good working order. If it barely fizzes or not at all, toss it. It’s past its prime.
Since the test is so quick and easy and uses such a small amount of vinegar and soda, test your baking soda regularly to ensure baking success every time. Plus, you can pretend you’re a mad scientist!

More from that article., but anyone who has been into food storage and preparedness has done this kind of repackaging with most things.

How to Store Baking Soda So It Stays Fresh​

One factor that can speed up baking soda’s decline is improper storage. Store unopened boxes or containers of baking soda in a cool, dry place, like a pantry. Once opened, baking soda should be stored in a sealed container. If yours came in a box, transfer it to a jar or similar container that’s airtight.

Baking soda’s biggest enemy is moisture, so don’t store it in the fridge. While a container can help eliminate odors in the fridge and freezer, don’t be tempted to use your fridge baking soda for baking. It absorbs flavors and can impart unwanted flavors into your baked goods.

Duplicate information. I just looked through and I had posted similar information above. One more piece of information from that article. If you have ever done any baking, you are aware of this.

Are Baking Soda and Baking Powder the Same Thing?​

Baking powder and baking soda should not be used interchangeably in recipes. Baking powder contains baking soda as well as an acidic ingredient like cream of tartar. Once water or another liquid is added, it can produce carbon dioxide all on its own without the need of an additional acidic ingredient.

You cannot swap baking soda and baking powder one to one, since baking soda is much stronger and requires an acidic ingredient. Double check your recipe to make sure you’re using the right leavening for the best results.

Last edited:
I am curious about which book you have?
Sorry, I didn't see this until now. I bought the book by Dr. Mark Sircus - Sodium Bicaronate Natures Unique 1st Aid Remedy. I'm sure there are other books out there that are more broad on the uses of Sodum Bicarb. Now, I can't remember whether or not I read this book. LOL!

For baking I now use Bob's red mill baking soda since it is aluminum free and family owned. I try and avoid the big corps as much as possible, like Arm and Hammer.

ETA: I bought a 50 pound bucket of organic sodium bicarb back in 2016 for $70. Now it's just under $100.

Sorry, I didn't see this until now. I bought the book by Dr. Mark Sircus - Sodium Bicaronate Natures Unique 1st Aid Remedy. I'm sure there are other books out there that are more broad on the uses of Sodum Bicarb. Now, I can't remember whether or not I read this book. LOL!

For baking I now use Bob's red mill baking soda since it is aluminum free and family owned. I try and avoid the big corps as much as possible, like Arm and Hammer.
Interesting about Bob's baking soda.

His book is free on audible now, or it was for me.

Having read the table of contents, it seems that baking soda can be a huge benefit to our medical preps.

sodium bicabonate book table of contents.JPG

My daughter has gotten stuff in batches from her dad's family. Her grandparents were smokers, and even though stuff was stored in plastic bins, every time she gets a new batch, the smoke wreaks from the stuff. She has been using baking soda and vinegar combined in the washing machine to release the smoke smell from clothing, quilts, and other fibers.
Hydrogen peroxide soak.
<----Life long smoker.

Hydrogen peroxide soak.
<----Life long smoker.
I have been reading some amazing things regarding hydrogen peroxide as well. In fact, I just bought some high grade hydrogen peroxide.

Quick tip - I now use hydrogen peroxide (just the basic 3% sold in stores) to put on bug bites. It takes the itch out much better than OTC products and is much cheaper. As a bonus, it helps to heal the area if it has been damaged by scratching it.

I believe that both hydrogen peroxide and sodium bicarb help to produce an alkaline environment in the body which is something that cancer and other diseases don't flourish well in. They prefer an acidic environment that most of todays fast foods and other products enhance.

I have been reading some amazing things regarding hydrogen peroxide as well. In fact, I just bought some high grade hydrogen peroxide.

Quick tip - I now use hydrogen peroxide (just the basic 3% sold in stores) to put on bug bites. It takes the itch out much better than OTC products and is much cheaper. As a bonus, it helps to heal the area if it has been damaged by scratching it.

I believe that both hydrogen peroxide and sodium bicarb help to produce an alkaline environment in the body which is something that cancer and other diseases don't flourish well in. They prefer an acidic environment that most of todays fast foods and other products enhance.
I was working on my first aid supplies last summer and purchased After Bite. I read the ingredients: sodium bicarbonate. I think a small container of baking soda in our first aid kits would be a good idea.

Good information!!!
Besides cleaning, I also use it in the shop to neutralize car battery acid. Cleaning battery terminals and any random acid that may leak onto the battery tray.

Quick tip -...

Huh?

Any chemical formula that starts with an " H" is an acid.

Hydrogen peroxide is H2O2.

An acid.

Ben

Huh?

Any chemical formula that starts with an " H" is an acid.

Hydrogen peroxide is H2O2.

An acid.

Ben
I have no idea how it works. I hated chemistry! I'll see if I can find the reasoning behind it when I get my books back that I loaned out.

• Love
Reactions: Neb
I have no idea how it works. I hated chemistry! I'll see if I can find the reasoning behind it when I get my books back that I loaned out.
Ok.

I will not hold it against you. ;)

Ben

Latest posts

Back