Baofeng Sales Ban Countdown

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Go to HamStudy.org: Cutting edge amateur radio study tools , click on "Technician", then click on "Study Mode". You will be asked to login or "continue as guest". If you want the website to remember what you've studied from session to session, you can create a free login and then sign in. As a "guest" you will be able to do the studying, but it won't remember you from session to session so you will get repetition of questions.

In general, you want "Study Mode", because that will step through ALL of the potential questions on an Exam. I think there are only 35 questions on the exam, but they are pulled from a pool of 425 questions. You want to see all of these 425 questions, that's why you use Study Mode. If you choose "Practice Exam" that will present you with 35 questions, randomly chosen from the pool of 425. So if you just do Practice Exams, then you may never see all of the potential 425 questions you could face at the formal test. You don't want to just get random questions, you want to see ALL of the questions as you study/practice.

Note that in Study Mode, if you answer a question wrong, it will keep throwing that question at you more frequently until the algorithm thinks you have got it burned into your brain. This will get a little repetitious at times. This algorithm that remembers what you got wrong does not work if you are logged in as "guest". So it's probably a good idea to just sign up for the free login.

Also note, that after you answer a question there will be a little icon at the top right of the question flash card. If you click on that the card will flip over and show you more detailed info and background on the question. You can get more sophisticated with this website and, for example, tell it to only ask you questions about a certain topic. However, "topics" do not relate to "chapters" in the ARRL study book, which is a shame. The best way to use the hamstudy.org website, IMHO, is to access it via a 3rd party website. This 3rd party website gives you the option of having hamstudy.org ask you questions from specific chapters. This is much easier if you are reading the ARRL book, chapter by chapter. You don't want to be quizzed on stuff you havent even read yet.

This is the 3rd party website for the Technician exam:

Hamstudy.org Links

On the right side of this page you will see "Flashcards by Chapter". On the left side, there is "Flashcards by Module". Modules are just subheading under chapters (a chapter is made up of multiple modules). e.g., you might have chapters 3, 4 & 5 and then you'd have modules 3.1, 3.2, 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, 4.4, 5.1, 5.2

One more thing to note: If you use this 3rd party website as a gateway into hamstudy.org, be aware that the first chapter (first module is the same as chapter for the first chapter in the book) only has ONE question. So after you've answered that one question, it will go back and ask you that same question over and over. Because it's looping through all the questions in the chapter ... but there's only one question! So don't think the website is broken, just move on to chapter 2

p.s. - Once the 3rd party website transfers you to hamstudy.org for the actual questions, you may not be able to get back to the 3rd party website (say, to choose a different chapter) using the back arrow on the webpage. You can, however, use your browsers back button, but after answering a bunch of questions that will be a lot of back's that you have to hit. So bookmark that 3rd party website so you can click on the bookmark to return and select a different chapter. "Back" just doesn't work very well for a website like this.

Last edited:
p.p.s - to my above post. Actually, your browsers BACK button will go straight back to the 3rd party website. I said the opposite in my p.s. in the previous post. I was wrong - I guess I should have tested that comment before I posted it. Oops! Anyway, you still should bookmark that third party website (which is designed/maintained by my HAM class instructor BTW!) But you browsers BACK button (but not the BACK button hardcoded into the hamstudy.org webpage) will work too.

Latest posts

Back