1. Welcome to Homesteading & Country Living. We are glad you came to visit.
    Dismiss Notice

Baofeng Sales Ban Countdown

Discussion in 'Communications & Tech' started by Weedygarden, Aug 1, 2019.

Help Support Homesteading Forum by donating using the link above.
  1. Sep 2, 2019 #91

Weedygarden

Weedygarden

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend Neighbor HCL Supporter

I am wondering about keeping all of this gear together. I am leaning more and more to keeping it together in a backpack, but each BOB should have its own radio.

Patchouli, Sentry18 and Caribou like this.
  2. Sep 2, 2019 #92

Bacpacker

Bacpacker

Bacpacker

I like having the majority of my stuff in sometype bag, backpack, whatever works for you. But at least one radio per person, it's antenna, and spare battery should be with each person to use as needed.

3. Sep 2, 2019 #93

VirginPrepper

VirginPrepper

VirginPrepper

Awesome Friend Neighbor

How much to the highest quality brand of handheld cost.........???

Bacpacker likes this.
  4. Sep 2, 2019 #94

Haertig

Haertig

Haertig

Awesome Friend Neighbor

I looked at these, and was trying to convince myself that I needed one. But I just can't quite see it. I've already got some good FRS radios (Kenwood). And if I ever finally get around to getting my amateur license (I've been threatening to do that for years now!) I think I'd just buy a single band mobile transceiver with more capabilities than these handhelds. The only thing I see going for them, for my envisioned use, is that they are ridiculously cheap. That in itself may still be enough for me to decide to buy one. I can't see myself casually chatting on a handheld. It would be an emergency communication thing for me, and I'd probably want something with more power and a much better antenna in that case. And of course I'd need the knowledge to use it appropriately. My EE degree is pretty old now, and I'd need some refresher training in radio design. I've been studying the Technician class questions, and the ones relating to electronics are quite basic. It's the questions on rules and regulations that I don't know anything about and would need to study.

5. Sep 3, 2019 #95

elkhound

elkhound

elkhound

so what frequency/channel range are ok to use without a license on these radios.?

6. Sep 3, 2019 #96

Haertig

Haertig

Haertig

Awesome Friend Neighbor

Without a license, I believe you can operate on FRS channels and MURS channels only. Note: GMRS shares some FRS channels, but you are allowed higher power on those channels with GMRS if I recall correctly. Also, GMRS has some of it's own channels distinct from FRS. GMRS requires a license though (not a HAM license).

FRS channels are UHF. MURS channels are VHF.

https://www.fcc.gov/wireless/bureau-divisions/mobility-division/family-radio-service-frs

https://www.fcc.gov/wireless/bureau-divisions/mobility-division/multi-use-radio-service-murs

elkhound, Caribou and Sentry18 like this.
  7. Sep 3, 2019 #97

Bacpacker

Bacpacker

Bacpacker

I haven't kept up in a few years. The last Yeasu I bought, Model FT-60, I paid around $250 for. It was a dual band HT.
    Here is a brand new Yeasu Dual band model, but I suspect it has a lot more features than mine did.
    https://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-016770

I also bought a Kenwood TH-D7 which was dual band and had APRS capabilities that cost more than $400 at the time. You can get a single band HT for under $200 by Kenwood, Yeasu, or Icom.

8. Sep 3, 2019 #98

Weedygarden

Weedygarden

Weedygarden

It is all pretty Greek to me.

Patchouli, elkhound and Caribou like this.
  9. Sep 3, 2019 #99

VirginPrepper

VirginPrepper

VirginPrepper

Awesome Friend Neighbor

Thank you. I appreciate the help.

elkhound likes this.
  10. Sep 3, 2019 #100

Bacpacker

Bacpacker

Bacpacker

Your welcome. I only looked at HRO. There are many other vendors that sell HT's. Take a good look and decide what YOU need. Sometimes bell and whistles are nice, but in general not needed. Plus a more basic radio is typically eaiser to use.

Sentry18 and elkhound like this.
  11. Sep 3, 2019 #101

bkt

bkt

bkt

You should avoid transmitting on HAM frequencies, but you can listen to them all you want. Don't transmit from 144.0MHz through 148.0MHz or 420MHz through 450MHz. The UV-5R's frequency range on VHF is 136MHz through 174MHz and on UHF is 400MHz through 520MHz so there's room outside the HAM frequencies.

Here is a list of international distress frequencies and some can be accessed from the UV-5R. I suggest programming them in along with FRS, GMRS and MURS frequencies.

Another good resource for emergency communications is Steven Harris' http://radios1234.com. It may give you some additional ideas.

Being able to program your radios is important. The programming cable isn't expensive and Chirp is free software that will let you program these radios. You can program these directly from the keypad but it's a pain in the butt.

If anyone has questions, feel free to post here or PM me and I'll do my best to help. You should learn to use your radios now and not assume you'll be able to figure it out after the S has HTF.

12. Sep 3, 2019 #102

Caribou

Caribou

Caribou

Time traveler Neighbor HCL Supporter

Think of these radios as bicycles (FRS, etc.), good for short distances. When I went sailing I had a bicycle (VHF) and a pickup (single side band good for long distances). This radios are good for around your property or within a few miles. Terrain, antenna height, power, and a few other considerations means that the same radio might work differently in different locations or in different weather. You might also find that different frequencies work better in your area than others. This is all stuff that you will work out after you play with the radios for a bit. Think about the first time you tried to sew something, each time it became easier and you were more comfortable.

Sentry18, Patchouli, elkhound and 2 others like this.
  13. Sep 3, 2019 #103

elkhound

elkhound

elkhound

i know nothing so do your own homework or folks in the know correct me....i found this list of frs/gmrs chgannels you can use....i think

https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/FRS/GMRS_combined_channel_chart

also according to link haertig gave the
    https://www.fcc.gov/wireless/bureau-divisions/mobility-division/multi-use-radio-service-murs

There are five MURS channels and the channels are either 11.25 kHz or 20.00 kHz each. The channel frequencies and (bandwidth) are:

151.820 MHz (11.25 kHz)
    151.880 MHz (11.25 kHz)
    151.940 MHz (11.25 kHz)
    154.570 MHz (20.00 kHz)
    154.600 MHz (20.00 kHz)

14. Sep 29, 2019 #104

Weedygarden

Weedygarden

Weedygarden

Tomorrow is the last day to buy a radio, but I saw this video about these radio covers a couple days ago and thought these covers were interesting. I've been caught in the pouring rain and these protectors look like a good investment. I like that there is a strap, so you could keep it on your person without having to hang onto it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017IKQTS...aip-storefront&ref=exp_cov_iridium242_dp_vv_d

Patchouli, bkt and Sentry18 like this.
  15. Sep 29, 2019 #105

Haertig

Haertig

Haertig

Awesome Friend Neighbor

I looked into this a little - out of curiosity - and asked my friend who is a ham, and the only thing I think that is going away are the inexpensive Baofeng's. And clones of these, if such things even exist. So if you want a $25 radio, buy that Baofeng now. But after tomorrow you can still buy radios from Yaesu, Icon, Kenwood, etc. as these radios are compliant with FCC rules. Much better quality too. But they will cost you $140 and up. If you don't have a ham license and just want the radio for the FRS bands, then you can still buy a basic FRS radio. Those things are a dime a dozen. The new regulation appears to translate to "Get rid of the cheap Baofengs", but without using the word "Baofeng". At least that's the way my ham friend and I are interpreting it. I'm not sure why the Baofengs are being targeted, but I suspect there might be certain elite groups that don't want you to be able to get on the air with a radio that costs less than a jumbo size box of Cheerios.

Caribou, Patchouli, Sentry18 and 2 others like this.
  16. Sep 30, 2019 #106

bkt

bkt

bkt

High cost of entry into the hobby does tend to keep the riff-raff away, but it also keeps away those who aren't willing to drop a few hundred bucks (minimum) to try out something they're only curious about. The recent spate of Chinese radios (not just Baofengs, but higher-end makes) show you CAN produce a clean, compliant, high-quality radio for significantly less than Kenwood, Yaesu and Icom charge, and that low price point open doors that would otherwise be closed to many people. My guess is Baofeng (or companies like Btech) will limit the UV-5R and similar radios to operate only within HAM bands and clean up harmonics and other noise.

17. Oct 4, 2019 #107

Haertig

Haertig

Haertig

Awesome Friend Neighbor

Why are the dual-band Baofeng's still available on Amazon? Was the ban rescinded?

fteter, Patchouli, Bacpacker and 2 others like this.
  18. Oct 4, 2019 #108

Weedygarden

Weedygarden

Weedygarden

Maybe this whole thing was a ruse. If so, James Wesley Rawles was also duped!

19. Oct 4, 2019 #109

Haertig

Haertig

Haertig

Awesome Friend Neighbor

This could turn out to be like the .22LR ammo shortage. Jerks were speculating - buying up all the ammo at WalMart and then selling it at inflated prices. Then when .22LR became widely available again, the speculators took a punch to the gut, sitting there on ammo they bought to profit on that is now selling for 1/2 of what they paid (serves 'em right). So since these radios still seem to be available on Amazon for $25, any speculators might be forced to sell off their ill-begotten merchandise for $15 or so. Keep your eyes on eBay in the coming weeks. You might find some good deals on the banned-then-unbanned Baofengs (if this is indeed what has happened).

20. Oct 4, 2019 #110

Sentry18

Sentry18

Sentry18

Hired Gun Staff Member Moderator Neighbor HCL Supporter

FCC edicts are often disregarded until the FCC actually stomps their feet and shakes their fists. They are also fairy easy to talk into extensions.