Baofeng Sales Ban Countdown

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
If you are a regular reader of Survivalist Blog, you are probably aware of this ban. This is where I am getting my information. Maybe one or more of you understand the ban better than I do and can even explain it better. I am aware of it and need to buy some of these radios for communication purposes.

I have driven around, shopped for and looked at Baofengs. I have yet to purchase any, but I am getting ready to.

https://survivalblog.com/baofeng-sales-ban-countdown-continues/
Here is a reminder on an upcoming rule change by the FCC: On September 30, 2019, it will become illegal to sell or “offer for sale” (advertise) radios like the popular Baofeng UV-5R that can operate in the FRS radio band (462.5625 – 462.7250 MHz) and any other licensed band in a single device. Manufacturers will have to either quit selling them or block out the FRS bands–like they already do for the current cellular bands. This is the relevant verbiage:

§ 95.591 Sales of FRS combination radios prohibited.

Effective September 30, 2019, no person shall sell or offer for sale hand-held portable radio equipment capable of operating under this subpart (FRS) and under any other licensed or licensed-by-rule radio services in this chapter (devices may be authorized under this subpart with part 15 unlicensed equipment authorizations).

I strongly recommend stocking up on dual band Baofeng UV-5R handie-talkies before this regulatory change takes place. Presently, if bought in a set of five, the cost per transceiver is only around $23 each, postage paid. By law, these may still be bought by any adult. But a license is needed to operate them outside of the no-license FRS, GMRS, and MURS bands. (That is, in the amateur operators’ bands.)

Note that this upcoming ban WILL NOT be a ban on the possession or use of FRS dual band ham radios. Nor will be it be illegal to gift them to other adults. Hence, any that are legally owned on or before September 30th will effectively become “grandfathered”. Read between the lines folks: The FCC doesn’t want non-licensed individuals to own radios that can transmit in both licensed bands and unlicensed bands. My supposition is that this is because in the long term they don’t want unlicensed folks to haveplausible deniability for toting around ham band-capable gear. Ironically, it was a few boot-licking sycophants within the ham community that pushed for this rule change. Often, people jealously guard their own privileges and want to deny privileges to others who are not in their elite clique. This is essentially a Country Club Members mentality.

So, reiterating my advice: Buy a box of five of these, or perhaps two boxes, while they are still readily available and affordable. The FCC rule change won’t go into effect until September 30, 2019. But if you wait until July or August, then it will probably be too late. It is very likely that by then they will be sold out, or their price will escalate. But for now, they can be had for just $23 per transceiver. Within another month or so, they will be history. The countdown clock is ticking. Don’t hesitate on this one.

Also note that there will also be some room for profit from the upcoming ban. It is safe to assume that just in the months of August and September, you may be able to double your money, if you decide to sell off any of your spare “new in package” UV-5R transceivers. But starting September 30th, you will only be able to give them away–not advertise or sell them.

Update: Several readers wrote to mention that there are a few other more capable but still quite affordable Baofeng models that will also become import-banned on September 30th. These include:

Regardless of the model that you choose, I recommend getting one spare battery (preferably the long 3800mAh capacity one), and at least one spare antenna per transceiver. The latter, because the Baofeng antennas are notoriously fragile.

For Baofeng frequency programming instructions (both from the keypad, and “off-board” with a CHIRP cable and PC), see this web page.

I hope that your readers find this information useful, and that you act on it. Again, the clock is ticking. – JWR

Last edited:
Grab 'em while you can. I have a bunch of them and they're quite good.

I have a few. I just ordered battery boxes to hold AA batteries for them. I figure the add on stuff will get hard to buy also. I should order spare microphones or ear buds as well.
Thanks for the tip on the microphones and ear buds. Battery boxes are a great idea as well.
Now that I am thinking of the extras, I am wondering what kind of a case these typically come in? A case will protect it, but I also like to be able to contain all parts together. Maybe I will make a padded, zippered bag for each of them, once I get them.

I have a few. I just ordered battery boxes to hold AA batteries for them. I figure the add on stuff will get hard to buy also. I should order spare microphones or ear buds as well.
Is this bag too large for holding the radio, earphones, spare batteries and microphone? I am thinking there are a few other things that could go in that are relative.

Nice bag. Too large? I couldn't say but it is smaller than my wife's purse.:rolleyes:
Women's purses is a topic in itself. But, how many times do you ask her for something that she has in that purse? Now imagine if the men of the world always carried backpacks and the family had to ask you for a tissue, a bandaid, nail clipper, gum or breath mint, chapstick... As Meerkat said in another thread, a woman's purse is almost a weapon.

Women's purses is a topic in itself. But, how many times do you ask her for something that she has in that purse? Now imagine if the men of the world always carried backpacks and the family had to ask you for a tissue, a bandaid, nail clipper, gum or breath mint, chapstick... As Meerkat said in another thread, a woman's purse is almost a weapon.

If I would ask my wife for something in her purse, she would say she has it and 5 or 10 minutes of searching her purse she would change her answer to she thought she had it, so I stop asking.

I'll ask for her phone if I want to make a LD phone call and rarely her keys. I know she has a bunch of other stuff in there but I don't have a clue what that might be so I really can't ask for it.
My point is, it's smaller than her purse so, it's really not that big. I'll not be ordering one for myself but I could see how that would come in handy. I once had a jacket that had a ratio pocket but then I always had a radio.

Pockets change the way a woman's garment shows. Less curvy and not a smooth line.
Most women wouldn't buy it.

My dress pants all have pockets and they look and fit just fine. Not all women are so vain that that tiny extra bit of material on the hips is a problem. They could take all that extra from the legs I always have to have cut off and add it in for the pockets.

I have a radio but it uses 9 volt batteries. It also has a hand crank on it and noah.

I wonder what the difference is between these two. Does an 8w have a further range?
Yes, the more power the further it will transmit. Location is also important, the higher the better. Your antenna makes a difference. A better antenna on a 5W might out perform an 8W with a lesser antenna. If the 8W and 5W have the same antenna and are in the same location the 8W will be better.

Yes, the more power the further it will transmit. Location is also important, the higher the better. Your antenna makes a difference. A better antenna on a 5W might out perform an 8W with a lesser antenna. If the 8W and 5W have the same antenna and are in the same location the 8W will be better.
Thank you.

Right. But of the two, the antenna quality and its placement is more important than transmit power. A decent antenna placed reasonably high up and with no serious obstructions can reach 20-30 miles or more with only 5 watts. A poor antenna or a badly placed antenna won't reach very far at all even with several times that power. Match great antenna and placement with higher power and you're in very good shape.

I use a slim jim roll-up antenna with a Baofeng handheld to really reach out and I've had great results. The antenna is hanging about 9 feet up very near the ceiling in my second-floor office. I also highly recommend a Signal Stick antenna that attaches to your handheld. It's longer than most antennas, but it's extremely flexible and has the best performance of all the (many) antennas I've tried.

You know I have never put too much thought into communication because I have a pile of FRS radios and a state wide network of analog and digital police radios at my disposal. Including a comms storage rooms with several refurbed back up analog and digital UHF repeaters, mobile radios, portable radios, base stations, portable & mounted antennas, trunking repeaters, etc. But after reading through this thread I will admit I am compelled to pick up a few of these Baofeng UV-5R's anyway. Not sure if it is because I need them or because the government says I can't have them.

Back