Barn finds

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phideaux

Old fashioned
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I've heard of people coming across "barn finds" quite often...but it's like winning a contest with me, I've never won anything.:(

Some folks luck upon old classic cars, or find that collectors gun , or an old antique worth lots of money. Might be interesting to see any "barn finds" you all have come across.

Well, maybe I can categorize this as a "barn find".

Look...lets get this settled right now...I HATE MOWING , but (thank God) my wife loves to mow, and we have plenty to mow.
You would never think of a Mower as a "barn find" , but I was cruising thru the LOCAL classified and spotted this, very rare , John Deere GX355 Lawn Tractor/mower.
So , being the tractor nut I am, I called on it and got all the info, I happen to know the young man , and most of his family...cool.

His great grandfather ( owned local campgrounds) bought 2 of these GX355 tractors new in 2005, parked them and never used either one, as he passed away that week.
Yep they been sitting in the shop since 2005, .4 hrs on it. He said they start it about once a month for a few minutes,

The Gx355 was only made from 2001 thru 2005 , It is a twin cylinder Yanmar diesel, 18HP.

OMG it sips fuel, has an abundance of torque, and runs smooth as silk (except at idle:D),
I bought it for the wife . Paid half of what it cost new. Power steering, liquid cooled, hyd deck lift, hyd drive, lock differential....stable on hills,
SHE LOVES IT...yay.

Barn find.. maybe my first.:cool:

IMG_20190710_163015764.jpg
IMG_20190710_163034181.jpg
IMG_20190710_163055852.jpg
IMG_20190710_163107765.jpg

Jim

That is a barn find! Very nice.

On our family farm / vacation home we had an old tool shed that was in such bad condition it had begun to collapse. We decided to take a day and tear it apart. When cleaning it up and tossing chunks of old wood onto a trailer I came across a 16 gauge Winchester 1897 pump shotgun in surprisingly good condition considering. It was missing a couple minor parts and needed a lot of rust removal, but with the help of Numrich, Rem-oil, and steel wool I made it functional again. I would not necessarily say shootable, but functional. Find out later it belonged to my grandfather and had been missing for a long time. Now it hangs on the wall at the farm house.

I've heard of people coming across "barn finds" quite often...but it's like winning a contest with me, I've never won anything.:(

Some folks luck upon old classic cars, or find that collectors gun , or an old antique worth lots of money. Might be interesting to see any "barn finds" you all have come across.

Well, maybe I can categorize this as a "barn find".

Look...lets get this settled right now...I HATE MOWING , but (thank God) my wife loves to mow, and we have plenty to mow.
You would never think of a Mower as a "barn find" , but I was cruising thru the LOCAL classified and spotted this, very rare , John Deere GX355 Lawn Tractor/mower.
So , being the tractor nut I am, I called on it and got all the info, I happen to know the young man , and most of his family...cool.

His great grandfather ( owned local campgrounds) bought 2 of these GX355 tractors new in 2005, parked them and never used either one, as he passed away that week.
Yep they been sitting in the shop since 2005, .4 hrs on it. He said they start it about once a month for a few minutes,

The Gx355 was only made from 2001 thru 2005 , It is a twin cylinder Yanmar diesel, 18HP.

OMG it sips fuel, has an abundance of torque, and runs smooth as silk (except at idle:D),
I bought it for the wife . Paid half of what it cost new. Power steering, liquid cooled, hyd deck lift, hyd drive, lock differential....stable on hills,
SHE LOVES IT...yay.

Barn find.. maybe my first.:cool:

View attachment 23049 View attachment 23050 View attachment 23051 View attachment 23052

Jim
Great barn find

Bought an entire room of VHS tapes at an auction last year for $5 and came away with a ton of vinyl records that were buried under the tapes and a 1920s Gibson guitar.

Closest thing I have is a couple of stained glass windows of poppies. In case you're not familiar with stained glass, red is the most difficult to make and thus most expensive. A dear friend now passed, gave them to me. They were made in her grandfather's shop in the early 1900s and had been stored in her mom's old chicken coop. I treasure them and wouldn't think of putting them in a chicken coop.

I could interject with a story about the first suicide call I had when I was a young Deputy Sheriff in field training. That was in a barn. 2 weeks after the fact. In the summer. With temps hovering around the mid-90's and humidity in the 90's as well. But that is certainly not within the intended nature of this thread.

Latest posts

Back