Be still, my heart....

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cabin Fever

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
1705275706318.png

I found a little single burner (can’t remember if it’s Coleman and it’s too cold to go out and look) kerosene cooker this summer at an estate sale for $4 - I think. That’s my emergency coffee maker 😉
I forgot about the single burner Colemans. I've got 2 of those Backpacking type stoves as well. They are great, they'll boil 2 quarts of water in less than 4 minutes. And can be adjusted down to a very low simmer. I love the control they allow.

I've got a box of matches. With that, and a few sticks, I can cook just about anything.
Seriously though, I do have a couple of the propane Colman stoves. I'd like to pick up one of the older gas types too.
Check yard and especially estate sales. I don't go to many, but I have found them from $5 to $20. I have to buy just about every one I find at that price. I have started purchasing random parts now also. I found new parts still in the packages.

Check yard and especially estate sales. I don't go to many, but I have found them from $5 to $20. I have to buy just about every one I find at that price. I have started purchasing random parts now also. I found new parts still in the packages.
That's a good idea. I'll start checking out the yard sales this spring. I'd like to get a couple lanterns too.

That's a good idea. I'll start checking out the yard sales this spring. I'd like to get a couple lanterns too.
Speaking of lanterns, we sure like our PetroMax lantern (top of photo below). It is multi-fuel and puts out light equivalent to a 400-watt light bulb. About 4X more light compared to a 2-mantle Coleman.
1705340876710.jpeg

Speaking of lanterns, we sure like our PetroMax lantern (top of photo below). It is multi-fuel and puts out light equivalent to a 400-watt light bulb. About 4X more light compared to a 2-mantle Coleman.
View attachment 122862
I like that lantern. I'll have to look for one like that. I've got a couple old lanterns hanging on the posts outside of my fur shed. They don't put out a lot of light, but enough to find my way back to the house.

I see that all of these run off of fuel, gas. I think you can still get that in gallon cans at some sporting goods stores or departments, can't you?
I have one that uses canisters.
Coleman stoves with the red fuel tank use Coleman fuel or naphtha. Naphtha is cheaper. Some liquid fuel Coleman stoves have a silver or gray tank. Those stoves use gasoline.

My PetroMax lantern can use just about any kind of liquid fuel: kerosene, gasoline, alcohol, Coleman fuel, biodiesel, etc.

Nice lanterns perhaps even collectible antiques. My experience with wick-type lanterns is they do not provide much light compared to a lantern or a lamp that uses a mantle.

You have a nice place there in Alaska. We're planning a driving trip to Alaska this summer.
You're right, they don't put out much light.
We don't live in Alaska anymore. We moved down to Idaho to be closer to family. But they all moved away or died. So now it's just the wife and I. And two silly mutts.

Latest posts

Back