Bean sprouts

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NevadaBlue

Old&Tired
Neighbor
I was watching this YT channel and decided to try sprouting Mung beans.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbxbwh7MV5YOJ2HMzAu2zDg/videos
This YT family is in Viet Nam and has amazing results with their gardening.

I found Mung beans on nuts.com and got a big bag. This test involves ONE cup of beans.

After not quite 2 days, we have this. They are already delicious.

CF96C846-2757-435B-BF1F-CAD341505658.jpeg

CB0F2AF0-A086-48A7-924A-2433C013451F.jpeg

We are trying two methods. One is a little commercial sprouter and the other is simply plastic drink bottles with holes burned in them with a soldering iron. Cheap, easy, quick.

We have a bean sprouter but like other things arounf here,son't use it.Superman has slacked up on his duties so I told him to get busy moving or get busy 'moving'. Lately,he gets done what he wants to get done.

That was interesting. I don't eat bean sprouts except in Asian food and then it's very little but I might have to look into some other recipes.
Bean Sprouts are one of the things that can have problems with bacteria when purchased from a commercial source so this would be a good way to avoid that.
Thanks, Nevada.
Here is a direct link to that one video instead of the channel link.

What all due respect, that looks like chicken food to me.

I've spouted some seeds in a mason jar with cheesecloth instead of a lid. Works well and delicious on salads or sandwiches. I should make some more, I tend to forget about doing it. 🙃

I've spouted some seeds in a mason jar with cheesecloth instead of a lid. Works well and delicious on salads or sandwiches. I should make some more, I tend to forget about doing it. 🙃
I have always thought that a mason jar with cheesecloth would work, but like you, I just forget to do it. I know that when I tried to grow sprouts when I was still teaching, I was not home enough to rinse the sprouts like they needed. When I saw this sprouter for sale, after having just recently purchased some seeds for sprouting, I thought I would try it. I had friends who were Chinese and had a Chinese restaurant, but in South Dakota, so no access to fresh bean sprouts, except what they grew at the restaurant. I saw the big bins where they grew sprouts and they had to be rinsed a couple times a day.
If we end up in a situation with no access to fresh food, sprouts are a great alternative.

Latest posts

Back