Beans: What kind, how many to store and how do you cook and eat them?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aren't beans supposed to cause gas, Cause if they don't "Beans,beans the musical fruit the more you eat, the more you toot, the more you toot, the better you feel, so let's eat beans for every meal." will loose its, well what ever it has now :brewing: now that smilie is a pro pro (How do you spell)
When I made red beans about a month ago, I was very careful to soak them overnight, but then rinse them many times. I usually soak beans overnight, but maybe rinse them a time or two. Being aware of the toxins in red beans, I just decided to do several extra rinses. I believe that was the first time that I ever ate beans without getting all the flatulence that I normally get. It occurred to me that maybe I should rinse my other beans more. I don't know if that will really help, but I can give it a try.

Bean Pie
I have a former colleague who had also gone to culinary school, probably for baking. She would bring in the most interesting foods and one time she brought in bean pie. I liked it, and was wondering what it takes to make it. I found out that it is common in the Muslim culture.
Recipe calls for "Pate Brisee," which is a pie crust. I would personally use one of my recipes, but I'll put that at the end.

Navy Bean Pie
A custardy navy bean puree is generously spiced with cinnamon for the filling of this fall-friendly pie. Martha made this recipe on episode 703 of Martha Bakes.
Yield:
Makes one 9-inch pie

Ingredients​

Ingredient Checklist
  • 1 cup dried navy beans, picked over, soaked overnight, and drained
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, plus more for work surface
  • 1/2 recipe Essential Pate Brisee
  • One 12-ounce can evaporated milk
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 4 large eggs
  • 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
  • Whipped cream, for serving (optional)

Directions​

Instructions Checklist
  • Step 1
    Rinse beans and transfer to a saucepan. Add 3 cups water and bring to a boil. Reduce to low, cover, and cook beans slowly until tender, 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Measure 1 cup beans and set aside, reserving remaining beans for another use.
  • Step 2
    On a lightly floured surface, roll out pate brisee to a 13-inch round about 1/8-inch thick. Fit dough into a 9-inch pie dish and press into bottom edges and up the sides. Trim edge, leaving a 1-inch overhang; fold edge under and crimp as desired. Freeze 15 minutes.
  • Step 3
    Preheat the oven to 375 degrees with the rack located in the lower third. Line crust with parchment paper, gently pressing the parchment into the edges of the crust; weigh down parchment with pie weights or dried beans.
  • Step 4
    Bake until the edges of the crust begin to turn golden, about 30 minutes. Carefully remove pie weights and parchment paper. Continue to bake until crust is golden brown in color, about 20 minutes more. Transfer the crust to a wire rack to cool slightly.
  • Step 5
    Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees. In a blender, combine beans, evaporated milk, 2 tablespoons flour, sugar, butter, cinnamon, eggs, and vanilla. Blend until mixture is smooth.
  • Step 6
    Strain bean mixture through a sieve into a glass measuring cup. Pour filling into cooled crust and bake until golden filling is just set, 50 to 60 minutes. Let cool completely on a wire rack before serving with whipped cream, if desired.
© Copyright 2023 Martha Stewart.

Essential Pate Brisee

This recipe promises the ability to use this pate brisee in a variety of recipes. Try it with Martha's Shaker Lemon Pie, Maple Custard Pie, Martha's Sour Cherry Pie, and the Navy Bean Pie.
Yield:
Makes enough for two 8- to 11-inch tarts or single-crust pies, or one 8- to 10-inch double-crust pie

Ingredients​

• 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
  • 1/4 to 1/2 cup ice water

Directions​

• Step 1
    Pulse flour and salt in a food processor to combine. Add butter; pulse until mixture resembles coarse crumbs with some larger pieces remaining. Evenly drizzle 1/4 cup ice water over mixture. Pulse until dough is crumbly but holds together when squeezed. If dough is too dry, add up to 1/4 cup more ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time, and pulse to combine.
  • Step 2
    Turn out dough onto a floured surface and divide dough in half, then shape each half into a disk. Wrap each half in plastic and refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour or up to 1 day. (Dough can be frozen up to 1 month; thaw overnight in refrigerator before using.)

I evidently didn't see this when it was first started. I like beans. Hubby likes them but they offer offense to those (me) near him. I might try like you said, rinsing them more times.
I make a 6 bean soup that we really like. I use all different kinds. I also like growing them so have various types. Old Mother Stoddards are fun. Scarlet runners are great. Then just regular ol' beans.
One thing that makes them less valuable is they (as well as many things that serve well in LTS) are not diabetic friendly. They are raved as a good protein source but often neglect the carb factor. For me/us, this makes it less appealing as we do have diabetes in the family. I do store them but do not count them as our main protein source.

I store navy, great northern, black, pinto, and some sort of red beans. I put them in mylar bags, inside a 5 gallon bucket, with dry ice. I soak them overnight. I change the water every 2 or 3 hours while I'm awake. My theory is that the fresher the water the faster the gas soaks out of the beans. It usually works out to 4 changes of water, give or take. I usually start with half a gallon of dried navy beans, after soaking I start with fresh water, a ham bone, if I don't have that then a canned ham diced, onion, garlic, and a little Sambal Olek to spice them up. The wife likes to add carrots and whatever she gets a hankering for. I have been known to can them up in quart jars for a fast meal. I'll usually eat the entire batch before I get around to canning. I have better luck in keeping beans longer if I freeze them in my Tupperware.

Latest posts

Back