bear snaring and the death of a culture

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i was able to see legal bear snaring back long ago in my younger years. then afterwards into the late 90's got to see it again on wildlife research being conducted.

the catch circle was incredible !

p.s.all were foot snaring not neck/body snaring.both are vastly different.

I used the Aldrich foot snares for bears when doing bear work for the USDA/APHIS/ADC. Even black bear can give you some gray hairs when checking sets. Keep eye contact and they don't do much. Lose eye contact and they will charge you to the end of the snare. Pray it holds and that your partner is ready to shoot.
We usually had to tranquilize the bears for relocation, which meant getting close enough for a punch stick (10 foot stick with syringe at end). That could make life interesting.
Another trapper I knew (different state) was working a bear that was foot snared and it was asleep (they will do that). He jabbed the bear with the needle, but it wasn't snared. He said the bear jumped up, looked at him over it's shoulder and ran off into the woods. After he quit shaking he wondered if the bear would be OK when it woke up. LOL! He always yelled at the bears from a distance after that. LOL! Wonder why? LOL!

Dale

black bear.jpg

Small bear at my house.

I've been out with biologists snaring bears. Black bears seem to lay down n chill. Brown bears go nuts n use every bit of force they have to escape.
Unfortunately this technique of bear management is not understood by the public it seems. In ares where moose calf birth survival rates were down to 6%. Bears n wolves were decimating them. This was in an area that was dense with black spruce and very difficult to hunt.
Snares were put out to capture the bears so they could be put down. With over a 1000 bears coming out of there in a year.
Public outcry make the state stop. So instead of game boards n biologists managing wildlife politics did. The moose survival rate is still going down.
I do understand that these methods n means can be controversial. And wildlife managers , who all have differing views within, should be able to do their job

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back