Bear (the GSD) update!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 98418
Hubby doesn't know I'm posting this!!😃😉 This is nap time when Bear is in the house!! Who needs a "My Pillow", Hubby has a Shepherd pillow! I have to keep old towels on the couch arms because of Bear's napping preferences!!🙄

Does Bear ever lick the arms or cushions? All three of these Mals here have done that.

In TN, the guy who worked on my guitar… was also a shepperd lover. Had them for years and currently had a beautiful 3yrold male. Saw the dog when I picked up my guitar.

Problem… the dog was dominate in the household. Two grown men lived in the house but gave control over to the dog, dangerous! He almost bit me, thought he was going to. He warmed to me quickly but most dogs do... I was testing my guitar and the dog lay down beside me but he lay his head on my foot, not beside my foot. He was claiming me as his new property. He was dominate, it was his house and everything in it.

I didn’t interfere but I knew what it meant. Hey, it their dog, their problem. I don't think they recognized the problem they'd let happen. Normally he's kept away from the customer/work area. But unless they take control this could end badly for the dog.

In TN, the guy who worked on my guitar… was also a shepperd lover. Had them for years and currently had a beautiful 3yrold male. Saw the dog when I picked up my guitar.

Problem… the dog was dominate in the household. Two grown men lived in the house but gave control over to the dog, dangerous! He almost bit me, thought he was going to. He warmed to me quickly but most dogs do... I was testing my guitar and the dog lay down beside me but he lay his head on my foot, not beside my foot. He was claiming me as his new property. He was dominate, it was his house and everything in it.

I didn’t interfere but I knew what it meant. Hey, it their dog, their problem. I don't think they recognized the problem they'd let happen. Normally he's kept away from the customer/work area. But unless they take control this could end badly for the dog.
GSDs need a handle on them early! They very easily become the dominate family member!

IMG_20221202_144444503.jpg

Was raking leaves in Bear's yard yesterday, ended up leaving them in a pile! He had a blast playing in them!!

Bear is discovering his "protective mode"! We went to town and hit the hike/bike trails the other day. He actually growled at two people as we passed by them. Healing perfectly at my side and and not giving them a second look as we passed! My Doberman would do the same thing. If she thought someone wasn't quite right, the hair would go up on her back and she'd growl! He is way friendlier than she ever was, but it's nice to know he's picking out the unfavorable ones!!😉🐕‍🦺

GSDs need a handle on them early! They very easily become the dominate family member!
They will dominate wherever they go, especially if they are not neutered. I regularly see a GS at the dog park, truly the alpha to any and all dogs there, whether they like it or not. I used to take two dogs there, but one, lovely boy, has moved further away, so we go to a different park. The GS would put that lovely boy under the bench every day, bullying him. GS is almost 5 and has never been neutered, nor will he be because his owner doesn't believe in it. I finally realized that if I stand up, say something like Raaah! and put my arms out to seem bigger, he would go away and leave lovely boy alone. Problem was that the other dog I took was the alpha-beta and came barking at me, telling me not to do that to her alpha!

They will dominate wherever they go, especially if they are not neutered. I regularly see a GS at the dog park, truly the alpha to any and all dogs there, whether they like it or not. I used to take two dogs there, but one, lovely boy, has moved further away, so we go to a different park. The GS would put that lovely boy under the bench every day, bullying him. GS is almost 5 and has never been neutered, nor will he be because his owner doesn't believe in it. I finally realized that if I stand up, say something like Raaah! and put my arms out to seem bigger, he would go away and leave lovely boy alone. Problem was that the other dog I took was the alpha-beta and came barking at me, telling me not to do that to her alpha!
Some GS people think if they neuter or neuter before a certain age that it creates more hip issues and that the GS will grow bigger than the breed standard! But the risk of testicular cancer is high in unneutered males. I personally would not want the extra aggression or need to roam that comes along with not neutering. Bear was fixed at 6 months, he is growing up to be a big boy, but I definitely would not want him intact!! He is sweet but is developing his protectivness, in the right way! I wouldn't take him to run loose in the dog park just because he IS a big GS!!

Does he have problems with ice/snow getting up in his foot pads?
Great lookin pup
This is his first snow, actually ice pellets! We had a little white last week, but it only stayed for 20-30min! I don't think he slowed down long enough for it to stick to his feet! Our last Golden would accumulate ice balls on her feet and legs!! Bear will be 1 Wednesday, the last snow we had in this area was Feb 23rd 2022, and I don't think it snowed where he was born a couple of hours south of me!

West German blood lines? Supposedly Bear has WG lines, and daddy is 50/50 GSD and Doberman, just found that out a few months ago. He has a lot of Dobe personality traits, and that face/head show it too!! Otto is BEAUTIFUL!!

Latest posts

Back