Beef Calf

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love this post - I've learned so much I didn't know. Up until know the main thing I knew about calves/cattle was to not stand behind them. Now I know about acorns, bottle danger, bottle angles and hay saws in addition to getting to follow along on a great project!

You can stand behind them, cows kick sideways....😂

You need a hay saw so you can just cut what you need off the round bale. Pops used to have one around, left over from when loose hay was just dropped in the barn and compressed under the weight of the hay dropped on top of it. I think it was destroyed when the shed burned...

All right, I'll bite. What is a hay saw, never heard of one. Up until last year I've always used small bales.

I found one on the net this afternoon... $1800+ (A modern device, not an antique.)

Another guy had removed teeth from a chainsaw chain, leaving every 4th or 5th tooth, sounds doable. (as long as you don't set the hay on fire)

Livestock will do fine ripping hay from a roll by themselves. Special cutters are not needed. But they drop a lot of it on the ground then stand on it. All thats needed is a couple of planks so they can't stand on dropped hay. Make them reach for the hay, occasionally feed them the dropped hay. If they are hungry they'll eat it.

No fuss and no spending $1800.

Last edited:
I always found there was a lot of waste from a round bale, no matter how it was fed. We had bale rings, we put them on concrete with steel cables around them...the hay just kept ending up on the ground.

@Peanut do y'all feed cornstalks down there? We used to cut our hay usage way down in the winter by stacking cornstalks and feeding it as a main source of calories. Not much nutrition in it, still need good hay and grain, but it's cheap calories...

I always found there was a lot of waste from a round bale, no matter how it was fed. We had bale rings, we put them on concrete with steel cables around them...the hay just kept ending up on the ground.

@Peanut do y'all feed cornstalks down there? We used to cut our hay usage way down in the winter by stacking cornstalks and feeding it as a main source of calories. Not much nutrition in it, still need good hay and grain, but it's cheap calories...

We cut and fed all our cornstalks to the steers. My cow and heifer are in the corn patch right now cleaning up what's left.

Glad your calf is doing ok and you are taking care of it. I truly despise farmers that don't take care of their animals ( your neighbor? Whoever you got this little guy from)

I wonder if our goats eat acorns. We have a large oak right in the middle of a pasture. I know they eat the leaves sometimes but so far we haven;t had any die ( except 1 milk goat from injury ) so probably not since we've been here almost 6 years now. I think goats will not eat stuff that's bad for them if they have enough other stuff. I notice that when I take them up on the mountain where all sorts of poisonous plants grow ( rhododendron, milk weed, all sorts of stuff) , they never touch them .

I finished winter shopping for the critters and calf. He has enough sweet feed/calf starter/minerals/salt/hay to last until grass puts up in April.

He has runny eyes, could indicate a problem. Stressed cattle or mineral deficient cattle will have runny looking eyes. He's been under stress since his momma died in august.

He doesn't have pink eye, infection or scratched eyes. His eyes are actually clear, just have a little discharge. I'll keep a close watch on him, he just started getting minerals Wednesday. He's no longer stressed out. He was calm and happy this afternoon.

I took him a apple and gave him a very close look today. He took a couple slices from my hand yesterday but was still a little shy. Today he took every slice from my hand. Afterwards he insisted on licking my fingers clean of apple juice. Calf slobber, nothing like it!

View attachment 75715View attachment 75716View attachment 75717View attachment 75718
Have you dewormed him? (Sometimes runny eyes are a sign - you probably knew that, but sometimes when you're the one with the critter . . .)

@Spikedriver No... In years we grew corn we'd just turn the cattle in to clean up the field. We'd either delay feeding or feed less. Then they are more apt to eat the stalks. There isn't a lot of nutrition left in stalks... the work wasn't worth the return, so let them do it themselves.

When the cold of December got here we'd pour on the protein, rich, fertilized hay and protein supplement.

That boy never understood that junk hay might keep a critter alive but thats all. If a cow is carrying a calf she needs all the nutrients she can get. If a cow is healthy she'll produce a good calf. If not... then she'll produce underweight calves in poor health.

@LadyLocust not yet... I wanted him stable on a rich diet for a few weeks first. Then decide if he even needs it.

LOL - my 1st encounter with a live calf I stood kiddy-corner behind it and was lucky that I was only grazed by the kick, padded by Wisconsin winter levels of sweaters and coats. I learned a healthy respect that day...

I saw a miniature Brahma bull w/2 cows at an auction, barely bigger than sheep. I was in the back with all the stables getting a closer look at a zebra that was for sale along with some buffalo.

A large man (6'5) begins herding those Brahma's to the arena. This tiny little cow kicked that man on the knee cap. He dropped like a rock! His wife was laughing harder than I was... It was hysterical!!! She was also a wrangler for the auction. We tried to get him up but it turns out he was really hurt. Our laughing didn't help his attitude either.

Poor guy, left in an ambulance. He was back later on crutches and big plastic leg cast. Broken knee cap...

So yes, even little critters can hurt you.

Edit to add... the sound is what I remember most of this incident. It sounded a lot like a 3 wood hitting a golf ball. A big animal kicking, it sounds more like a baseball bat hitting something. But that miniature cow... definitely a 3 wood! 😂

Last edited:
Corb Lund has a song with the chorus "may you always have cows around"

Actually the best way to feed round bales, if you have enough animals so that they aren't bored is bale grazing, just stand the bale on end and let them eat, Round bale feeders are a huge feed waster, unless the animals cant push each other into the bars, from my observation that is where the need to pull feed out comes from, And I also learned from experience that if you have a bunch of course hay that cows just don't seem to want to eat, once a week or so they will want it, probably when their stomachs are ready for just ruffage, Rolling out round bales is the best way to waste hay that I have ever seen, but one of the most common ways people feed.

The calf is still growing but a little slow. There was spurt of growth when he finally had someone feeding him correctly but it's slowed. He's wormy, so today he got a dose of Ivermec. Topical solution poured down his spine.

Here are a couple of pics. He's not becoming a pocket baby, searching for apples. He's naturally shy. He'll sniff my hands, if they don't smell like apples he doesn't go searching.

The trick, I only feed him apple slices about 1 of 4 times I'm around him. He doesn't think apples when he see's me. But the apples have him gentled to the point I can handle him or administer meds.

Calf 23dec 21 b 1 a.JPG
Calf 23dec 21 b 2 a.JPG
Calf 23dec 21 b 3 a.JPG
Calf 23dec 21 b 4 a.JPG

Well, it's been 5 months since I was pretty sure the calf was going to die. I'm amazed he survived December.

All, I've done is worm him, toss a few herbs in his water tub occasionally and feed him well. He's gained about 250-300lbs. He weighs about 500lbs now, maybe a couple pounds over but not much. He's still a runt tho'. If he hadn't been a starved orphan he'd be 18" taller and 850lbs.

Anyway, he looks healthy, bucks and runs, loves to play. I have an acre of waist deep grass I need to turn him loose on but I still have to build a fence.

Anyway, 1st pic was taken 05nov21 the second today. Last fall he was so skinny I could count his ribs, even the vertebra in his spine, just a bag of bones. He's actually fat now with a belly to go with it!

Nov
Calf 3 ab .JPG

Today
Calf 27apr22 3a .JPG

After 202 days in solitary confinement I released the prisoner. He's a happy camper, stuffing himself with clover. I'll still shut him up in the corral at night.

I finally (I hate cfs) finished putting up a new gate and hung the adjoining cattle panels. That boy tore down the gate. He broke the post off at ground level (it was set in concrete) with a trailer load of hay. He never even tried to repair the damage. Just one of dozens of repairs I've made and still have to make.

The calf is still badly undersized but healthy, a little on the fat side. He's big enough now that I don't fear coyotes killing him.

Of course the ham had to get in a pic...

Calf 31may22 1a.JPG
Calf 31may22 7a.JPG
Calf 31may22 11a.JPG

After 202 days in solitary confinement I released the prisoner. He's a happy camper, stuffing himself with clover. I'll still shut him up in the corral at night.

I finally (I hate cfs) finished putting up a new gate and hung the adjoining cattle panels. That boy tore down the gate. He broke the post off at ground level (it was set in concrete) with a trailer load of hay. He never even tried to repair the damage. Just one of dozens of repairs I've made and still have to make.

The calf is still badly undersized but healthy, a little on the fat side. He's big enough now that I don't fear coyotes killing him.

Of course the ham had to get in a pic...

View attachment 87286View attachment 87287View attachment 87288
Ham the photo bomb dog!! Calf looks great!!

I could feed him out and slaughter him in the fall... in reality there is no such plan. He's always been an insurance policy against our shaky supply chain. I don't have to store beef if it's alive and on the hoof. I have 45acres of grass, so he'll do fine for the foreseeable future.

I've put out the word to neighboring beef producers, looking for another orphan calf. Last year I had no options when I took this starved orphan. If I wanted beef in the pasture he was the only choice.

If can find a newly orphaned calf this summer I'll bring him home. A normal healthy calf, not one standing at deaths door.

I'm still surprised this little guy lived through the winter.

Back