Beef Tallow

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Double R

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Recently I found out about “kidney tallow”. I believe it has a true name but y’all get the idea. It’s the fat around the kidneys and surrounding area. Supposedly it’s supposed to be the top end of beef tallow for rendering. I’m hogs it’s leaf fat I believe.
Our butcher says he twice renders it (but hasn’t done it in years and forgets how) to use for cooking and he says it’s fantastic for leather conditioning etc.
So, who has rendered beef tallow? How did you do it? What do you use it for? Have you heard of twice rendered?
I usually take whatever fat scraps we have and cook it down in a crockpot. Now I mostly use a big roaster. Currently have “kidney” fat slow cooking in the roaster. It definitely so far is far “cleaner” and has no smell.
Lets talk tallow! let er rip

In pigs its called leaf lard. Its supposed to be the "cleanest" fat. No porky taste. I always render my lard and tallow in the crock-pot or slow cooker. Keep the temp low. It takes longer but you end up with no cooked flavors from the bits of meat stuck in the fat. I've never heard of twice rendered. I use both for soap and cooking. It also helps with dry cracked skin.

the original mcdonalds french fries were made famous tasting because they were deep fried in beef tallow.after they stopped using beef tallow they had to add something like 16 chemicals to get the same flavor to keep customers coming back for famous fries.now they serve a soggy excuse for original product. not ate there in years now.beef tallow is from any beef fat.

Pork leaf lard is used for pie crusts and biscuits. It's the no flavour or smell thing and is very white in color. Similar thing for beef kidney fat. It's called suet and used in things like mincemeat.

Kidney fats are very granular and lumpy while body fat is smooth and compact.

Beef tallow is used for frying as mentioned above, and is also good for making meat pies where the flavour in the crust adds to the yummy factor of the dish.

Twice rendered is not necessary if the first rendering is long and slow and the fat is either ground or cut into very small pieces before cooking down.

Sometimes there is a lot of sediment in the bottom of the jar after cooling and carefully reheating the portion above that sediment and re-jarring is done to have a prettier product on the shelf; an old school solution for not having a strainer.

Last edited:
This could be incorrect, but I seem to recall Mom doing a second heating process at a lower temperature, and ending up with 2 grades, but I could be wrong, Never even though about it until it was mentioned here.
If I get the chance, I would try the low setting on the crockpot, perhaps, or maybe, but I think it had to do with eliminating the stuck to the roof of you mouth effect??

Seal fat is rendered by cutting it into cubes about 1/2" to 3/4" and set in a container. The oil slowly weeps out of the fat. The Eskimo cook with it and use it as a dipping sauce.

My Grandpa render one pound of beef tallow in a big pot on the stove. After all the oil was rendered out he would remove any solid pieces. The he would take out the oil and fry hamburger in the pan, then add back all the fat he had drained out and make chili. NO beans. It would have an inch of fat on top of the chili so you just stirred it up and dipped a bowl full. That stuff was so good.
My Grandma on the other side had a bowl of bacon dripping on the table at every meal. They would dip their biscuits in it instead of buttering them.

I think there’s something to this double rendering. I’m currently doing a side by side comparison. So far much more impressed with what I’m seeing from the double rendered batch. Far cleaner end results just at this stage (prepping for the second rendering) than the way I’ve been doing it. I would be surprised if this isn’t pure white and next to zero beef smell when it’s done.
Will post and update when it’s done. Just thought some might find it interesting.

I think there’s something to this double rendering. I’m currently doing a side by side comparison. So far much more impressed with what I’m seeing from the double rendered batch. Far cleaner end results just at this stage (prepping for the second rendering) than the way I’ve been doing it. I would be surprised if this isn’t pure white and next to zero beef smell when it’s done.
Will post and update when it’s done. Just thought some might find it interesting.
How do you do it?

How do you do it?

The way I’m trying right now is add salt and water to the suet in a crockpot (roaster right now for me). You can do it without the salt but supposedly the salt helps get out far more of the “impurities”. The water definitely diluted the salt in the end so I’m not worried. Render down on a low temp. Put in the fridge when “done” to cool. Instantly I’m seeing the water has so much “stuff” in it. The lard on top of the water is very white already. Once cooled to hardening remove the hard lard, clean the bottom of any remaining impurities and put it back in a crockpot. Probably will be fine with a crock pot once it’s just the lard. Repeat one more time. The remaining impurities (including any remaining meat smell supposedly) are removed into the water again.
Once hard take the lard, scrape any of the “bottom” off then package as normal. In my case heat and jar it.

09C909AA-33A0-4440-A925-315E434EFFFD.jpeg
Beautiful grass fed tallow.

the original mcdonalds french fries were made famous tasting because they were deep fried in beef tallow.after they stopped using beef tallow they had to add something like 16 chemicals to get the same flavor to keep customers coming back for famous fries.now they serve a soggy excuse for original product. not ate there in years now.beef tallow is from any beef fat.

i understand that beef tallow was once the standard fat used by the British to make fish and chips.

We periodically have whole leg pork hams available for cheap.. We still have 5-6 in the freezer.. We thaw them, peel off the fat layer.. Put it back in the freezer to be firm enough to slice into long ribbons.. This ground in the Kitchen Aid grinder and rendered in the slow cooker... It is somewhat time consuming, but produces a very nice snow white lard canned in wide mouth pint jars for storage in the basement cold room..

Grinding also produces a fine toasty brown crackling stored 1-2 cups in a plastic bag in the freezer.. This is very good in a pot of beans or the like..

We have not done beef fat.. Bear fat can be strong and is better used for bird feeders and bait in the live trap for coyote and the like..

We periodically have whole leg pork hams available for cheap.. We still have 5-6 in the freezer.. We thaw them, peel off the fat layer.. Put it back in the freezer to be firm enough to slice into long ribbons.. This ground in the Kitchen Aid grinder and rendered in the slow cooker... It is somewhat time consuming, but produces a very nice snow white lard canned in wide mouth pint jars for storage in the basement cold room..

Grinding also produces a fine toasty brown crackling stored 1-2 cups in a plastic bag in the freezer.. This is very good in a pot of beans or the like..

We have not done beef fat.. Bear fat can be strong and is better used for bird feeders and bait in the live trap for coyote and the like..
Spring bear tastes like fish and fawns or whatever else they are eating in spring on an empty stomach. In the fall when they are eating lots of berries and fruits (here at least) bear is delicious - and the lard too. Different kinds of bear might be different also - we have black & brown bear for the most part.

Spring bear tastes like fish and fawns ----- n the fall when they are eating lots of berries and fruits (here at least) bear is delicious
--- ---
Actually.... That can go either way... The one black bear who overwintered in our freezer when it was trying to climb into our crab apple tree was good.... A neighbor got one that had been living in the swamp between our pond and there pond and it was horrible... Even there dog would not eat it...

The condo, soy latte, tofu greenies and bunny huggers have stopped grizzly hunting in the province.. So for instance if you have to protect livestock or yourself, the only option is rule 30-06 of the 3-S management system... This all courteous of people who likely will never have to live with the consequences of there agenda.. And of course bear related "incidents" have skyrocketed... Don't get me started....

Latest posts

Back