Beer fridge is always empty!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angie_nrs

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
So, hubs has a beer fridge in his shop/garage. It seems like this fridge is always requiring filling up and the cans keep piling up. I know it's not all him drinking it. He has visitors at his shop all the time.....family, friends, etc. He always has projects going on. That doesn't bother me. However, I'm always the one that buys the beer and it's getting a bit ridiculous. I think people just think that fridge fills itself. Grrrrrrr!!!! There's only been one person that has actually brought beer over to put in the fridge. Other than that, nobody seems to think they should contribute. I don't mean to be petty, but I really don't like buying beer for every Tom, Dick, and Harry that walks into his shop. His dad is actually the worst offender. I'm wondering if I can put a sign on the fridge door stating something like if you need a beer take one, just replace it the next time you're here. I would actually prefer a funny sign to put on the door that would actually get the point across. I know others that have put tip jars on their fridge, but I don't really want to do that. It's not really the money aspect of it for me. I just get tired of buying ALL that friggin beer and lugging it home.

Does anyone have some good suggestions, without coming off as a jerk? Hubs is not the kind of guy to go into the fridge for a beer and not offer one to anyone else that is there. I get it. It's rude to help yourself and not offer to someone who is there. Still, I think if they put eyes on the sign on the door, it might make them think......next time I should bring my own 6 pack. What do you all think?

Leave it empty. If it looks like it is a never empty refrigerator, then it looks like it is no problem to take one. And then another.
Or put only a 6-pack in and leave the rest of it out and next to the fridge.
I would let my spouse be the one buying the beer and lugging it home.
Or put other stuff in there besides beer.
Or a BYOB sign on the outside of the shop. Or on the fridge?

Bingo! My wife trained me early.
Since she was a teacher she could never be seen buying anything with alcohol because 'the eyes were upon her'.
Next time you bring some home, tell hubby "people are starting to talk" and he will have to start fetching the stuff. He will.
(Hopefully he doesn't read this thread :oops:)

In this world, there are givers and there are takers. When you are a giver, you quickly learn who the takers are. Also, when people learn where the taking is easy, they are frequent visitors. Some people are happy to be the giver and giving to others, even if the others are not in need, but just as a friendly gesture.
Have you discussed this with hubby? Keeping his beer fridge supplied makes you a supportive and good wife, doesn't it? And he probably has things he does to support you, doesn't he? If it feels unbalanced, maybe he can give you money when you buy his beer for him.
I knew a woman who was willing to let her teenage son's friends drink all the soda they wanted in her home, but they had to pay her a quarter for each one. She is deceased now, but I believe that was close to her cost.
When my brother was drinking, he would go to the bar every night and spend all his money. When he had a gap between money and pay day, he worked others to buy his beer for him. One of our cousins was often the person to buy his beer for him, until cousin learned not to go to the bar when brother was there and broke. Brother has always been a taker.

So, hubs has a beer fridge in his shop/garage. It seems like this fridge is always requiring filling up and the cans keep piling up. I know it's not all him drinking it. He has visitors at his shop all the time.....family, friends, etc. He always has projects going on. That doesn't bother me. However, I'm always the one that buys the beer and it's getting a bit ridiculous. I think people just think that fridge fills itself. Grrrrrrr!!!! There's only been one person that has actually brought beer over to put in the fridge. Other than that, nobody seems to think they should contribute. I don't mean to be petty, but I really don't like buying beer for every Tom, Dick, and Harry that walks into his shop. His dad is actually the worst offender. I'm wondering if I can put a sign on the fridge door stating something like if you need a beer take one, just replace it the next time you're here. I would actually prefer a funny sign to put on the door that would actually get the point across. I know others that have put tip jars on their fridge, but I don't really want to do that. It's not really the money aspect of it for me. I just get tired of buying ALL that friggin beer and lugging it home.

Does anyone have some good suggestions, without coming off as a jerk? Hubs is not the kind of guy to go into the fridge for a beer and not offer one to anyone else that is there. I get it. It's rude to help yourself and not offer to someone who is there. Still, I think if they put eyes on the sign on the door, it might make them think......next time I should bring my own 6 pack. What do you all think?

If it were me. I would be looking on craigs list or EBAY for a used coke machine
Fill that dude up and if the boys want a cold one, They can put some quarters in the slot
For the guys that do not have quarters. Keep a roll or 2 handy

Vintage Coca-Cola Vending Machine Model V125 from the 1970's
1 viewed per hour
  • Picture 1 of 10
  • Picture 2 of 10
  • Picture 3 of 10
$388.88
Free local pickup

Leave it empty. If it looks like it is a never empty refrigerator, then it looks like it is no problem to take one. And then another.
Or put only a 6-pack in and leave the rest of it out and next to the fridge.
Or put other stuff in there besides beer.
Or a BYOB sign on the outside of the shop. Or on the fridge?
I get what you're saying.....but I don't want to be rude. Hubs keeps it stocked b/c he drinks it too. If he left it empty, it would be self punnishing, which doesn't work. If that were the case, he might as well not have a fridge in there at all. That's not gonna work for him.

I buy the beer b/c I go to the stores that sell it the cheapest. I don't really care that people talk. I don't typically know anyone in the store anyways, but it's just a PIA. He would go to the local party store and pay much more for it. I would rather save the money. I don't mind buying it for him. I just don't want to buy it for everyone else. It's really not a money issue per se. We can afford it. I just feel like we are being taken advantage of and I don't like that feeling. Perhaps the takers don't really realize that we notice? I don't know....I just wish there was a nice way to get them to buy their own damn beer.

We also have a set of friends that always take advantage of us when we party. It seems that they bring a cooler but keep leeching out of ours. It drives me nuts! I really like them and I pretty much grew up with them, but we don't spend much time with them due to the feelings of being taken advantage of when we are with them. We have done a LOT for them and it just hasn't been recipricated. We didn't really expect anything in return, but we have gone above and beyond for them over the years and at some point it gets to the point of being hurtful. We have done well and have some nice things and I think they know we can afford it. But, that doesn't mean we should have to. They do well too, so it's not a money thing.....although, he is cheap. We have just stopped spending time with them b/c I can only hold my tongue for so long until I say what's on my mind. I don't want to ruin the relationship, so we just avoid them. I wish I knew how to get beyond it. I keep telling myself I'm being petty......but it's a hard feeling to shake.

Have you discussed this with hubby? Keeping his beer fridge supplied makes you a supportive and good wife, doesn't it? And he probably has things he does to support you, doesn't he? If it feels unbalanced, maybe he can give you money when you buy his beer for him.
Oh hubs knows my feelings on the subject. He's not a boat rocker, so he'd just rather ignore it and just move along. He stocks his fridge, I just bring the beer home. We don't have a his and her money thing. It's all our money, so he doesn't give me money, nor do I give him money. When we need money for something we grab our own wallets. But, it's not a money issue.....it's more of a feeling taken advantage of issue. I'm just trying to find a nice way of letting people know that his beer fridge doesn't stock itself.

We also have a set of friends that always take advantage of us when we party. It seems that they bring a cooler but keep leeching out of ours. It drives me nuts! I really like them and I pretty much grew up with them, but we don't spend much time with them due to the feelings of being taken advantage of when we are with them. We have done a LOT for them and it just hasn't been recipricated. We didn't really expect anything in return, but we have gone above and beyond for them over the years and at some point it gets to the point of being hurtful. We have done well and have some nice things and I think they know we can afford it. But, that doesn't mean we should have to. They do well too, so it's not a money thing.....although, he is cheap. We have just stopped spending time with them b/c I can only hold my tongue for so long until I say what's on my mind. I don't want to ruin the relationship, so we just avoid them. I wish I knew how to get beyond it. I keep telling myself I'm being petty......but it's a hard feeling to shake.
These can be tough situations. I've had "friends" like this, except I question whether they were ever my friends, or were there because they could use me and take from me. A former colleague, KN, often wanted me to do things for her, such as help her with landscaping or fix this or do that. Another person, KS, who is a true friend, had a run-in with her that I observed. It was completely uncalled for, how KN treated KS, except it was jealousy. KS warned me about KN. A few years ago, KN wanted me to come see her in Latin America for about 3 months, because she had a project she needed help with. I know I would have had a to-do list every day from a snippy woman, and I would be footing a big part of the bill. Nope! I never responded to her email, and a year later, to the same request via Facebook. If I had responded and said what I wanted to really say, it would not have been pretty. The silent treatment sent her a message. KN is a taker, no doubt, but I am no longer being used by her. She is in the area about once a year, but I have no interest in seeing her. I'm done. She was never really a friend. She is all about herself and how she can take from others. She is the youngest of 8 and I've seen how she treats her sisters. They allow it. I won't.

I know what you mean Weedy. The folks I mentioned above really have nothing to do with the OP since they live pretty far away. She was my best friend growing up. We lived together for a summer and we were together all the time as kids. We are true friends. I can sit down with her today and it would be as if we never skipped a beat. Her hubby.....um, maybe not so much. Time does have a way of changing relationships. It seems the older people get, their circle of friends gets smaller. I have talked with others my age who have noticed the same thing. Maybe it's the 'familiarity breeds contempt' thing going on? I don't know.....
The beer that you buy, What is the cost per case or 12 pk?
It's about $17 per case. So, with your machine above, I'd charge 75 cents. It's a neat idea. Although, again, I'd rather have them bring the beer than have the money for it.
If you really want to end the situation, quit drinking beer...

Problem. Solved.
Hubs would not consider that to be problem solved. LOL! Nice try though.

I know what you mean Weedy. The folks I mentioned above really have nothing to do with the OP since they live pretty far away. She was my best friend growing up. We lived together for a summer and we were together all the time as kids. We are true friends. I can sit down with her today and it would be as if we never skipped a beat. Her hubby.....um, maybe not so much. Time does have a way of changing relationships. It seems the older people get, their circle of friends gets smaller. I have talked with others my age who have noticed the same thing. Maybe it's the 'familiarity breeds contempt' thing going on? I don't know.....
Familiarity does breed contempt, because with time, we usually really do become more aware of people's true personalities, their values and intentions with how they treat others. For me, it is my awareness and changes in me as I age. As a child of an alcoholic and being raised by a narcissistic grandmother, I am co-dependent. I work on this for myself. The older I've gotten, the more awareness I have of how I respond to people. I was trained to do whatever I was told as a child, or be in trouble, while others sat around all day, doing nothing. If people take advantage of me, lie to me to get me to do something, or set me up, it is over with them, whether it is a boss, "friend" or relative. I don't care.

Now the people who are drinking the beer, they know they will always be able to get a free cold one there. They have been trained to know this. I understand your husband not wanting to rock the boat.

Start buying cheap light beer!

I won a coke machine in a raffle back in 97. Hubbys friends were much like your hubbys friends. I started putting the beer and my Dr Peppers in the coke machine. I put a sign on the machine that said beers not free and neither is the electric to keep it cold or the gas to bring it home.

His friends decided it was to much hassle and started bringing their own. They took to calling me a tight wad (among other things) but we are the only ones who have our home and vehicles completely paid off and a very healthy savings and retired debt free.

Just put a mason jar on top of the fridge with a "Beer Fund" sign and drop a $5 in it.

Hopefully people will get the hint that beer ain't free...
I'm with Sparky D. Put a beer donations $ jar out. Then the moochers will be seen as tightwads. Have seen the donation can out plenty for coffee $ donations

0_bfde3_d8e7da6_orig_zpsdaa64585.gif

Better yet, put the mason jar INSIDE the fridge right next to the beer, that way even the short moochers will see it...

Start buying cheap light beer!
Now, now, let's not get crazy here!:sarcasm:
Sure, men are simple creatures but you still must treat them humanely.
If you fill the fridge with undrinkable cheap beer they won't have any place to put the 'good beer' they bring
Toast.gif

Set up a couple of nanny cams to surveil the fridge, then panel bond a 6 pack to the shelf. You'll probably get enough views on Youtube to take a nice tropical vacation. As long as none of his friends are in the Witness Protection Program there shouldn't be a problem.

When I managed a warehouse for oil field parts in North Dakota, there was one man who worked in our building, but not for our company. Oil field companies are known for their give away's. Our boss had us keep an electrical cooler with soda's, but with a donation can by it. Man who didn't work for us, would come in almost every day for a soda. There was a donation can by the cooler. He would shake his pockets when he came in, like he was going to pay for his soda. The salesman in the office didn't like this guy, because he was just a taker, taking where he could. Salesman decided to empty the donation can. In comes the user, shaking his pockets like he was going to pay for his soda. He gets his soda, hangs out a minute like he really cares about us, then leaves. Salesman goes and sees what was put in the can. 3 cents. I certainly do not know about this guy, but people like that are takers and always find the place that they can take from. Shortly after this situation, guy left town with his family.

So, hubs has a beer fridge in his shop/garage. It seems like this fridge is always requiring filling up ...I'm always the one that buys the beer and it's getting a bit ridiculous. ... I just get tired of buying ALL that friggin beer and lugging it home...

Stop being an enabler and stop buying ther beer?

Way back when I was young my Boss asked me to bring in the office donuts. "Just put a cup out for folks to pay for the donuts". After a week my boss asked why I stopped bringing in the donuts. Because I was losing money every day, if he wanted to advance me the money and take the lost...he didn't and I didn't bring in donuts.

Now the people who are drinking the beer, they know they will always be able to get a free cold one there. They have been trained to know this. I understand your husband not wanting to rock the boat.
Yeah, how do you tell or mention to your dad that he is taking advantage? We both think that someday he won't be here and we'll miss the days he was here, even if he was invading the beer fridge. It's a weird position to be in. He's over here at least once a week and sometimes brings a buddy and we go to his house maybe once or twice per year. Maybe it's just best to let it go. It just bugs me b/c we would never go to someones house to visit, and not bring our own drinks.

A few days ago, a buddy of his stopped by to talk to hubs about a project. I wasn't happy about it anyways b/c we were in the middle of processing a downed tree on our property. So, they come over, we had to stop our project and then I see them all in front of the shop with a beer in their hand. His buddy brought 3 other guys with him! I was not happy about it and I know hubs offered a beer to them. So, with all of them there goes 5 beers in the matter of a few minutes. I was not about to let them have another......we had work to do, so I was a bit rude and told them we needed to get going. So, this falls on hubs as well. He just is not the kind of guy to grab a beer out of the frig without offering one to everyone else.
Stop being an enabler and stop buying ther beer?
OK........how? That's kinda the point of the post. I don't want to buy THEIR beer. But I certainly am not going to tell hubs he can't have a beer fridge. I'm trying to find a way to have it both ways......mabye that's just not possible.

The beer frig is a small one. It's only 3 feet tall or so, so a tip jar would fit on top. I just really don't want to do that. I was kind of hoping someone would come up with a clever and funny sign that would get the point across. Maybe something along the lines of this, but it doesn't quite strike the point I'd like to get across in a funny but clear manner.
1599523392743.png

Last edited:
Angie, to be frank, stop. My point is that I have given tons over the years. I have provided forums, game servers, and pretty much anything you can imagine. Why? Because I could and also wanted to. What I have learned is that people will continue to take and take until the "free" is shut off.

I understand where you are coming from and also your husband but I am not about giving handouts indefinitely. I will and have called people out. They want to stop by and have a few that is fine but from time to time they need to be reminded they need to make a contribution. It does not matter if you can afford it or not but more the principle. Keep his beer in a different location. He will need to have a 6 pack "available" but once it is gone it is gone.

I am keeping this short and condensed but in todays world there are so many users that you have to draw the line somewhere. Hopefully you understand my point. Lazy L always has a "stop being an enabler" attitude but it isn't always that easy. I get it.

If it's your dad drinking the beer, ok. I get that. My mom has a good amount of money, but never offers to pay when we are out. We pay for all her meals and treats when we are out. I have learned, though, to make sure she has her credit card on her if I take her shopping. I've been duped on that, and she never pays back.
I guess keep some beer set aside for your husband in the kitchen fridge. Only sign I can think of is: Beer donations accepted here

Yeah, how do you tell or mention to your dad that he is taking advantage? We both think that someday he won't be here and we'll miss the days he was here, even if he was invading the beer fridge. It's a weird position to be in. He's over here at least once a week and sometimes brings a buddy and we go to his house maybe once or twice per year. Maybe it's just best to let it go. It just bugs me b/c we would never go to someones house to visit, and not bring our own drinks.

A few days ago, a buddy of his stopped by to talk to hubs about a project. I wasn't happy about it anyways b/c we were in the middle of processing a downed tree on our property. So, they come over, we had to stop our project and then I see them all in front of the shop with a beer in their hand. His buddy brought 3 other guys with him! I was not happy about it and I know hubs offered a beer to them. So, with all of them there goes 5 beers in the matter of a few minutes. I was not about to let them have another......we had work to do, so I was a bit rude and told them we needed to get going. So, this falls on hubs as well. He just is not the kind of guy to grab a beer out of the frig without offering one to everyone else.

OK........how? That's kinda the point of the post. I don't want to buy THEIR beer. But I certainly am not going to tell hubs he can't have a beer fridge. I'm trying to find a way to have it both ways......mabye that's just not possible.

The beer frig is a small one. It's only 3 feet tall or so, so a tip jar would fit on top. I just really don't want to do that. I was kind of hoping someone would come up with a clever and funny sign that would get the point across. Maybe something along the lines of this, but it doesn't quite strike the point I'd like to get across in a funny but clear manner.
View attachment 49951
If it is one of your dads that is a different story. The day will come when he won't be coming by for a beer.

I worked with a narcissistic couple who would want the staff to go out for dinner about once a month. Somehow, they never paid their share, ever. If he ordered a hamburger meal and it was more than $5, he would put down a $5 bill. I guess he expected someone else to pay his tax and the difference. The check would go down the table, and everyone would add their amount. She would always say, "We are short some money." Everyone would throw in another dollar, and she would get a free meal. Why? She was an administrator.

I would gladly buy my Dad all the beer he wanted. Ther rest of the freeloaders can buy their own.
I would just tell them there is no more free beer and if they get mad and leave it wouldn't be a big loss.
I don't really see an easy way out. Either speak up or buy more beer.
I get the dad thing......but this dad can drink a lot of beer. He can sit and BS and kill a 6 pack (or more) in no time flat. He doesn't do that all the time, but when he's having fun, he loses track of beer and time, I guess. He also lives over 15 miles away and drives home. I don't see an easy way out of this problem either, which is why I wanted to see if anyone had an idea that wouldn't be offensive but effective.

It's not really that big of a deal......just a small issue I was hoping to find an equitable solution to. I'm still thinking about printing up a sign for the frig that says "if you take a beer, please replace it the next time you're here."

Now, now, let's not get crazy here!:sarcasm:
Sure, men are simple creatures but you still must treat them humanely.
If you fill the fridge with undrinkable cheap beer they won't have any place to put the 'good beer' they bringView attachment 49949.

after 2 beers. cheap beer tastes like good beer lol

Latest posts

Back