Beer fridge is always empty!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Milwaukee's Beast guaranteed to give you the running turkey trots

1599580394891.png

This fat Tire is some GOOD beer

1599580526551.png

If it is always empty then leave it that way. End of problem. If anyone comes looking for a beer you will provide a nice, cold, storage place where they can put what they bring.

Many years ago, I drank a little. I've always been a light weight, so I might have one drink occasionally in the evening, with friends or company. I mostly drank rum and coke. I bought probably the largest bottle you could buy and it lasted me for years, and was still pretty full. That is how little I drank, when I was still drinking. One person saw that bottle of rum and killed it in just a couple visits.

1) Convince husband you can save money by purchasing by the keg and convert fridge to hold a keg.
2) Point out kegs are too heavy for you to handle.

Only go to step 2 AFTER the fridge is converted.
Let hubby balance giving it away and the work of lugging kegs.

"Never put of a problem until tomorrow that you can get of today"

Ben

1) Convince husband you can save money by purchasing by the keg and convert fridge to hold a keg.

Ben
The flaw in your plan is when his buddies find out he has a keg it will become a convenient place for them to congregate nightly. The upside is he can say the keg is about gone, who wants to chip in for a full one. They probably won't chip in but they might so it's worth a shot.
I went to a training class in Payoli, PA. We would all chip in and buy 2 kegs every night. We had more friends than we could count until we started charging.

From how I read the issue, "That boat has already sailed".

Bonus! No cans to recycle.

Ben
Yea it has sailed, but it would get worse with a kegger every night. I speak from years of experience both having keggers and going to keggers.
Another thing people need to remember. If someone gets drunk at your house on your booze then you can be held liable if they hurt themselves or someone else.
Also if they pay you for the beer they drink then you can be classified as a bar and the authorities will take a very hard line with you. Alcohol sales generate a lot of money in taxes and DUI charges.
Might explain all that to your husband. Tell him and them that in order to protect yourselves they need to bring their own beer. When they say they would never sue you ask them if their widows, orphaned kids, and all the other drivers on the road would agree to not sue.

Yea it has sailed, but it would get worse with a kegger every night. I speak from years of experience both having keggers and going to keggers.
Another thing people need to remember. If someone gets drunk at your house on your booze then you can be held liable if they hurt themselves or someone else.
Also if they pay you for the beer they drink then you can be classified as a bar and the authorities will take a very hard line with you. Alcohol sales generate a lot of money in taxes and DUI charges.
Might explain all that to your husband. Tell him and them that in order to protect yourselves they need to bring their own beer. When they say they would never sue you ask them if their widows, orphaned kids, and all the other drivers on the road would agree to not sue.
Excellent points.

Ben
(Ex FTM2)

Thankfully this is not a nightly issue. He doesn't drink that much and unless there is a special event like a holiday, he doesn't drink during the week as he is typically too busy. But, it's not unusual to see trucks by the mancave Friday thru Sunday at times. Not constantly.......and we keep the shop locked. His dad knows where the spare is, but he won't come over here and get into the frig without hubs here. To clarify, we don't have a bunch of drunks here.....I wouldn't stand for that. Rarely does anyone get drunk here. Still, if someone leaves after having a 6 pack and they are driving, it could certainly be an issue, which if that happens is typically his dad or uncle. Usually it's a few guys over there and that's where the many beers disappear. With 3-4 guys there for a couple of hours and each having 3-4 beers, it disapprears rather quickly.

Hubs has a beer fridge in his man cave b/c he won't go to others place to drink b/c he won't drink and drive, unless you consider having a beer while mowing the lawn drinking and driving. He also won't go and sit at the bar. He'd rather be in his man cave working on stuff and have a few beers while doing it. He doesn't sit still very well. That's why I don't mind him having a beer fridge in his man cave......he's responsible with it.
Beer fridge could be filled with bottles of water and a few sodas as well.
Yup, we do that. When we process wood, I like to grab water to take with me. I also have drinks there too, which nobody messes with. I also don't care if anyone over there grabs water or soda.......go for it.
Or: Move the beer indoors and put leftovers in the beer fridge. Then when they want a beer, you can ask them to help with the dishes. ;)
Nah, this is a man cave issue, not a house issue. They don't come into the house. I'm not sure I'd want those guys who often smell like diesel fuel or motor oil helping me with dishes anyways. 😬

Ben
Hmmmm.....that's an interesting thought. However, hubs doesn't much like keg beer. That would be cheaper and it would solve the can issue. Way to think out of the box! I'm not sure he goes thru 'that' much beer, but a pony keg or half keg might be an interesting option. I did a little research and it can last 6-8 weeks if the kegerator has a CO2 mechanism. I'm not sure this is the answer I'm looking for, but interesting thought none the less. At the same time, I do think this might attract more moochers.:confused:

After reading your posts my only suggestion is to put a jar or can on the frig with beer fund written on it. Either they get the message or they pretend they don't. You will have done just about all that can be done without causing issues.
Now in defense of the freeloaders. They may just be unaware enough to not even think about paying for their beers. A gentle nudge might wake them up.

Hmmmm.....that's an interesting thought. However, hubs doesn't much like keg beer. That would be cheaper and it would solve the can issue. Way to think out of the box! I'm not sure he goes thru 'that' much beer, but a pony keg or half keg might be an interesting option. I did a little research and it can last 6-8 weeks if the kegerator has a CO2 mechanism. I'm not sure this is the answer I'm looking for, but interesting thought none the less. At the same time, I do think this might attract more moochers.:confused:

Watch the math, it seems cheaper but last time I did the calculations the 1/2 barrel was only 1 cent cheaper for 12 oz than the cans. That also didn't take into account the CO2, tap system, trip across the river to the place to get a 1/2 barrel, etc, not to mention an old fart trying to wrestle a 170 lbs of beer into his vehicle. Plus side for cans is you can get money back if you recycle them, and it's a short trip to the store for a 30 pack :)

Calculations based on Budweiser 1/2 barrel price vs Budweiser 24 pack, same store.

I was thinking about this 1 and a half year old thread today. We have the same issue again, but just different people causing the problems. Ug! I think it's worse in the wintertime b/c there's not much to do and we're located in a fairly central location so we get a lot of people stopping by. I'm tempted just to get rid of the frig altogether, but dang it, it's OUR barn! Grrr! I'm not one to let others dictate what I do or don't do, especially on my own property. So, I'm down to two options......say something and risk offending someone or shut up and let the resentment build. It's a crappy choice....

Well, I was in a crappy mood a while ago and I just let it roll. I told one of the people that I was a bit PO'd b/c I'm the only one who stocks the beer frig and it's not supposed to be a community frig. I'm feeling a little bit bad about it now, but I guess we'll find out how good our friendship is to the folks who needed to hear it. I actually took the low road out and mentioned the problem to a friend of a friend so that I knew the information would get back to one of the offenders. I regret doing that now b/c I think it was pretty cowardly on my part. I had just had enough and the dam in my brain just broke and it was not a planned conversation.

When the word got out, they dropped off some beer when we were not here. I tried to call them to speak to them directly, but the call went unanswered and I wasn't leaving a message. At this point, I might just let it go for a while and see what happens. Of coarse, hubs feels like he's caught in the middle and I told him it's not his situation. It's mine, and I'll deal with it. I think he's a bit peeved at me for speaking up, but he knows I'm not one that can handle pent up resentment....that's just not me.

It's just an awkward situation. I feel relieved and a bit unsettled at the same time. I guess we'll see where the chips fall now. I still want to have a word with them about it though. I just want folks to Bring their own BEER. Is that so wrong??? I tried the subtle approach and it went nowhere. One of the offenders kept saying 'I need to bring some beer' for the frig. And I said "yeah, you do". Yet they never did.....until my recent words. I hate drama! I feel like I never should have had to say anything. I was just not raised that way, but apparently that's not the case with everyone. I pay my own way and don't expect anyone else to do so. You play, you pay PERIOD.

Thanks for listening to my vent.......

I was thinking about this 1 and a half year old thread today. We have the same issue again, but just different people causing the problems. Ug! I think it's worse in the wintertime b/c there's not much to do and we're located in a fairly central location so we get a lot of people stopping by. I'm tempted just to get rid of the frig altogether, but dang it, it's OUR barn! Grrr! I'm not one to let others dictate what I do or don't do, especially on my own property. So, I'm down to two options......say something and risk offending someone or shut up and let the resentment build. It's a crappy choice....

Well, I was in a crappy mood a while ago and I just let it roll. I told one of the people that I was a bit PO'd b/c I'm the only one who stocks the beer frig and it's not supposed to be a community frig. I'm feeling a little bit bad about it now, but I guess we'll find out how good our friendship is to the folks who needed to hear it. I actually took the low road out and mentioned the problem to a friend of a friend so that I knew the information would get back to one of the offenders. I regret doing that now b/c I think it was pretty cowardly on my part. I had just had enough and the dam in my brain just broke and it was not a planned conversation.

When the word got out, they dropped off some beer when we were not here. I tried to call them to speak to them directly, but the call went unanswered and I wasn't leaving a message. At this point, I might just let it go for a while and see what happens. Of coarse, hubs feels like he's caught in the middle and I told him it's not his situation. It's mine, and I'll deal with it. I think he's a bit peeved at me for speaking up, but he knows I'm not one that can handle pent up resentment....that's just not me.

It's just an awkward situation. I feel relieved and a bit unsettled at the same time. I guess we'll see where the chips fall now. I still want to have a word with them about it though. I just want folks to Bring their own BEER. Is that so wrong??? I tried the subtle approach and it went nowhere. One of the offenders kept saying 'I need to bring some beer' for the frig. And I said "yeah, you do". Yet they never did.....until my recent words. I hate drama! I feel like I never should have had to say anything. I was just not raised that way, but apparently that's not the case with everyone. I pay my own way and don't expect anyone else to do so. You play, you pay PERIOD.

Thanks for listening to my vent.......
Might put a sign on the fridge. Something like "We have a great community of beer drinking friends. Thank you to those who help support the cause." Or somethings along those lines. I think you get my drift. Might help prevent it from happening again in the future.

Angie: You have every right to vent, and to call the offenders on the carpet. IMHO you have been more than patient. I would have put a lock on the refrigerator a long time ago. Somebody wants a beer, come to the house and get the key. You better have brought beer with you to replace what you are going to drink.

install a hasp and a master lock on your fridge
Place a cooler on the floor with ice in it

it might take a week but they will figure out what to do with the cooler
PHASE 2
after they are trained to use the cooler
stop buying the ice, Again, it will take a couple of days but they will start buying ice

One of the dog parks that I frequent, like many of them, has a regular crowd of people who know each other, know about their lives, because they spend hours together each week. One guy would come with a 12 pack and offer everyone a beer. Of course, he never had any problem giving away beer. He did this a few times, and what is interesting is that no one else thought to reciprocate. One night I was there and a guy came in the gate. I heard the beer guy say, "It's your turn to get us some beer." Fortunately, there is a liquor store across the street, and the guy said, "Okay, I'll be right back." He walked over, and came back with a cold 12 pack and handed them out. I thought this was great, how one guy started it. I saw him tell a few guys this over one hot summer. This group of people has barbecues there in the summer. I haven't been there in the evenings in a couple years, but thought this is a great way to build community. Start with dogs playing together, owners visiting, beer, barbecues, and then people become like family in some instances.

Your friend delivered beer when you were gone. He evidently doesn't want a confrontation. He got the point and you got the beer. I'd let it settle out and find its own level. You've won, take yes for an answer.

It is hard to stop the takers , if hubs is not really on board with it, I would weigh the company over cost aspect, and if the drinkers are helping or just drinking. People who don't pay their own way are just a pain.,on the other hand helpful help for a few beers is cheap

Over the years I've learned that for me it's better to speak up sooner than later. If I wait until I'm royally PO'd before speaking I tend to go off and say much more than is needed. Usually with words children shouldn't hear.

So, I try to speak up at the slightly annoying stage. Went I'm still able to be civilized and make jokes during the chat.

When I was managing a warehouse in the oilfield, we had a soda machine with no money needed, so it was free and anyone could have a cold one anytime. It was basically for customers and there was a cup there for donations for others. There were conversations about it with almost everyone over time, but in the oilfield, there are a lot of freebies for customers.

There was a guy who worked in a shop a few doors down from us who tuned into the help yourself sodas and would come down to get one whenever he wanted to, and act like he was our friend, and would literally throw in a couple pennies into the donation cup. He was a freeloader and was not our friend. Nothing in common with this guy. Something about the guy bothered the salesman for our company even though there was nothing that impacted us about it. No matter what, it is awkward to have to tell someone about themselves and we never did say anything to the guy. Salesman decided to empty the donation cup and wait for the freeloader to come in. One morning, in he comes with his wife, shaking his pennies in his pocket, which was also just awkward, heads to the shop (literally steps out of the office), makes a lot of noise dropping his pennies in the cup, and comes back into the office with his soda. Salesman said nothing out of the ordinary, but was kind of quiet. Soda guy leaves, salesman goes back and looks at the three pennies in the donation cup. We never saw the guy again. I don't think anyone likes being used by someone.

You did the right thing. No reason to feel bad or resentful on your part. When they say I need to bring some, they know they doin top of that you all are the host and I'm sure no one takes out the trash for you.
Your friend delivered beer when you were gone. He evidently doesn't want a confrontation. He got the point and you got the beer. I'd let it settle out and find its own level. You've won, take yes for an answer.
Yes. At this point, I'm just gonna let it go. The point has now been made and shouldn't need to be made again. Perhaps we'll see less of him. Time will tell. Although, I know he doesn't want confrontation b/c hubs will be doing some work for him this spring. He's doing it for free b/c he likes to do that sort of thing. He's got a major project coming up and knows he's gonna need help. Plus, we're not mad.....just felt a little taken advantage of. And even though hubs didn't want me to say anything, I know he felt it too.
It is hard to stop the takers , if hubs is not really on board with it, I would weigh the company over cost aspect, and if the drinkers are helping or just drinking. People who don't pay their own way are just a pain.,on the other hand helpful help for a few beers is cheap
Yes, that is part of what was so uncomfortable about it. One of the offenders doesn't help with stuff unless directly asked but hubs helps him out when he knows he could use a hand. The other one doesn't need to be nudged to help. He'll usually be there if needed....depending on his mood for the day. Although if it's a BBQ or something where he knows he will benefit, he'll knock people over to help out.
Over the years I've learned that for me it's better to speak up sooner than later. If I wait until I'm royally PO'd before speaking I tend to go off and say much more than is needed. Usually with words children shouldn't hear.

So, I try to speak up at the slightly annoying stage. Went I'm still able to be civilized and make jokes during the chat.
Me too! I waited so long b/c hubs didn't want me to say anything. Ha, he should know better. LOL! I wasn't mean about it, but it's hard to openly throw criticism at friends without them taking it badly. It's just awkward all the way around.
replace the beer with whiskey. They won;t be able to drink it as fast
Blech! Neither of us like whiskey, so that's a big NO.
Or go home after!
Ack! I don't want them spending the night too!!! LOL!:oops:

As a side note, the person also left some cash with the beer to repay us for taking them on some rides. It was a nice gesture (which I truly appreciate, as I would do the same), but we invited them for that and certainly didn't expect them to pay for gas. It's not about the money and I'm going to explain that to them when I give their money back the next time I get the chance. We are generous folks, but buying someone else's beer (with it being an expectation) is where I draw the line. It's just the principle of it all, not the money. However, at this point I'm not going out of my way to meet up. That time will come soon enough I'm sure. The first meeting will be awkward, but I think after that we can put this silliness behind us and move on.

This whole thread is a parable about takers. Food gets in short supply and some people will show up wanting someone else to feed them and their kids.
Time for you and yours to think it thru before hand. They take food and everybody starves. If you have a group that wants to survive be sure there is someone at the gate that can do the hard things.

Latest posts

Back