1. Welcome to Homesteading & Country Living. We are glad you came to visit.
    Dismiss Notice

Behind the Bullet

Discussion in 'Rimfire Forum' started by threetango, Jun 20, 2019.

Help Support Homesteading Forum by donating using the link above.
  1. Jun 20, 2019 #1

threetango

threetango

threetango

~~~Top~~~ Neighbor

2. Jun 20, 2019 #2

SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13

SNIPER Neighbor

Thanks for the link Top...!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From the article
    :

The rim fire design is effective; keeping the priming compound in the rim of the cartridge is simple yet inexpensive to manufacture, with the rim also serving for head spacing. The .22 LR is the culmination of the progression of cartridges which started with the .22 Short, .22 Long and the much more rare .22 Extra Long. While both the Short and Long cartridges were popular when my father started hunting in the early 1960s, two decades later when I began to hunt with him, the .22 LR was invariably the most popular option, as fewer and fewer rifles were chambered for the smaller cartridges.

You see, the rim and body diameter of the Short, Long and Long Rifle are all the same; the only varying factor is the length of the case and the weight of the bullet. Much like the relationship between the .38 Special and .357 Magnum, or the .44 Special and the .44 Magnum, a rifle or pistol chambered for .22 LR can safely fire .22 Short or .22 Long ammunition, though in the auto-loading firearms there may not be enough pressure to cycle the action.

There are hollow points, full metal jacket designs, pure lead bullets, plated bullets and more. Anyone can learn to shoot a .22 LR, and I consider it one of the staples of the hunting world; there should be at least one in everyone’s collection.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~