Behold the Simple Comfort of a Butter-Baked Onion

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sentry18

Thrivalist
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
If you have not had one of these, you need to try it. Goes very well next to a thick medium rare steak.

Behold the Simple Comfort of a Butter-Baked Onion

Claire Lower
Friday 12:30PM

Photo: Claire Lower

Onions are an assertive ingredient, usually used to bring either aggressive astringency or deep, developed umami to a dish. A baked onion, however, does neither, and it still manages to be one of my favorite onions. Butter-baked onions are soft and sweet, with a brothy savoriness that reads almost like French onion soup. It’s a homey, comforting side dish, and it only requires three ingredients.

Transform Any Creamy Dressing With Burnt Onion
When you first begin cooking, you are told that burnt food is bad. If sitcom writers wish to…
Read more
Traditionally Vidalia onions are favored for this preparation, but any mild or sweet onion will do. The peeled, slightly cored allium is stuffed with butter and your favorite bouillon, then baked until it is falling-apart soft. There’s no charring, no caramelizing—just a humble, retrained allium, gently cooked in the laziest compound butter. To make it, you will need:

• 1 onion
  • 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon butter
  • 1 bouillon cube or 1 teaspoon of Better Than Bouillon (any flavor, but the roasted beef one with bring major French onion soup vibes)

Cut the root end off of the onion so it stands up on its own, peel the skin off, then core a substantial chunk out of the top of the onion with a pairing knife; you just need enough space for about a tablespoon and a half of ingredients.

Mash the butter and bouillon together, then stuff it inside its new home.

Wrap the onion in foil, gathering it at the top so it looks a metal onion.

Pop the little package in a 350-degree oven for 60-70 minutes, until it is soft and supple.

Slice into it, and watch the tender slices melt into a pile.

Baked onions can serve as a standalone side, but I’ve recently taken to throwing them into whatever pan sauce I happen to be making with dinner. Last night, after deglazing a pork chop pan with a little almost-oxidized vermouth, I added the onion (and its bouillon-y juices) to the pan—and folks, it’s a move I will definitely be repeating.

https://skillet.lifehacker.com/beho...ked-onion-1842794181?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Oh yeah, I usually do them on the grill. Take a nice big sweet onion, I like to slice down into them a little, put a nice big pat of butter in the center and wrap it up in tinfoil and put it on the grill while the meat is cooking. Mmmm Mmm good.

Yum, yum! I like the idea of butter, and the flavor from boullion is probably a wonderful addition. I am going to try one of these soon.

One time, many years ago, we decided to buy a 50 pound bag of onions. One of the things that we really enjoyed was baked whole onions. FYI, if you have a cold, this is a really good thing to eat.

We eat onions everyday, sometimes multiple times a day. I've bought 50lb bags when I find them and rarely have one go bad.
When we bake them we slice into them to start quartering them less than halfway down. Add slices of butter and a little pepper. Wrap it and throw it in the oven or on the grill. Man oh man are they good.

Back