Best rechargeable batteries for cold weather use

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alaskajohn

Bugged out
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
From the various forums and online reviews, eneloop rechargeable batteries appear to be all the rage for preppers due to their solid performance and ability to be recharged thousands of times. The rechargeable batteries I am looking for are your common household batteries: AA, AAA, C, D.

However, most rechargeable batteries perform poorly in cold weather. This is no secret and is a known limitation of the technology. Of the rechargeable batteries, it appears that the eneloop rechargeable have the better cold weather performance. Some of the competing rechargeable batteries, getting reliable information on cold weather performance is hard to find, The data I’ve seen on eneloop rechargeable batteries show an operating range of -4 F in most reports down to -20 F in one technical review. If they can perform down to -20 F, that would be totally acceptable, but -4 F would be limiting.

Are the eneloop rechargeables the best on the market for cold weather operations?

FYI, I can indefinitely store at about 52 degrees year round. I have alkaline batteries stashed away that I could probably use during the winter months if -4 is the best I can get from a rechargeable.

no clue...there must be data out there from manufactures of performance testing at low temps.

few of us live in as cold of place as you.

Last edited:
i would ask folks live north of you. fairbanks and north slope what they use. or maybe look up antarctic expeditions and ask what they use too.

contact military base and ask them too.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I did order the eneloops which I can use most if the year. I also have a deep stock of alkaline batteries for the times when I need them in the bitter cold.

I would go for AA NiMH powered devices so that they are small enough and (theoretically) pocketable between uses. Keep 'em warm next to your body. If you need to use a light for extended periods in super cold, and you need bright light, get one of those older technology Coleman white gas lanterns. If you need dim light, a candle lantern might be bright enough. If you're needing a radio rather than a light, I don't know what would work for you. Maybe keep it warm under your coat and just have the antenna and a headset sticking out.

@Haertig, I use alkaline batteries in my headlamps and they never let me down at -30 F when machinery typically start to break. I am eager to see how the NiMH batteries hold out though.

I do have several of the old coleman lanterns, but I haven’t fired them up in several years! They do work!

@Haertig, I use alkaline batteries in my headlamps and they never let me down at -30 F when machinery typically start to break. I am eager to see how the NiMH batteries hold out though.

I do have several of the old coleman lanterns, but I haven’t fired them up in several years! They do work!

Hello, can I get the about price of these rechargeable batteries ? We always buy the big packages when on sale n keep them on the shelf for the cabin. Seems to be able last.
K. I haven't looked at rechargeable for a while because buying regular batteries was cheaper n worked better for me but maybe I should look into them again. Also does using a generator to charge them ?
Can you try this for us Akjohn ?
This thought just popped into my mind. Could a fella take a broken battery powered unit n cut the power leads in n out so batteries are in series. Then hook up to a trickle charger. Or use the trickle charger n old battery charger holder n hook it to a trickle charger ?

Hello, can I get the about price of these rechargeable batteries ? We always buy the big packages when on sale n keep them on the shelf for the cabin. Seems to be able last.
K. I haven't looked at rechargeable for a while because buying regular batteries was cheaper n worked better for me but maybe I should look into them again. Also does using a generator to charge them ?
Can you try this for us Akjohn ?
This thought just popped into my mind. Could a fella take a broken battery powered unit n cut the power leads in n out so batteries are in series. Then hook up to a trickle charger. Or use the trickle charger n old battery charger holder n hook it to a trickle charger ?

Aklogcabin,

I ended up getting these, and they are on sale at amazon for $36.99 for the kit. I have only had the kit for about 3 weeks and everything appears good. I charge them up using a solar rechargeable power station, that I also recently put together. It took almost no power to do so, but the batteries came with a good charge in them already, so that wasn't much of a test. I am not going to go bonkers buying a whole bunch beyond what was in the kit until I see how they do this coming winter. I didn't try using a generator, as that sounds like a long generator run time.

I have shelves full of alkaline batteries that I know work in cold weather. Worse case, I can use the alkaline batteries during those 3-4 months where it is cold enough where the eneloops might not work. I only got the eneloops after getting a really good impression with the Jackery 880 portable power station (same as the Jackery 1000, but available for a lower prices at home depot as the 880) and how quickly it charged up in late spring sunshine. Since I now have a reliable non-fossil fuel energy source, getting rechargeable batteries appears to make since.

The eneloops are supposedly the best of the rechargeable batteries depending on who you listen to.

Latest posts

Back