Best Tasting Protein Bars

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caribou

Time traveler
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I'm trying to get more protein into Mom. She'll eat carbs, especially baked goods and ice-cream till the cows come home. Getting protein into her is proving to be a bit harder. I don't care about the carbs as she needs calories. She has been thin since long before I was born so any extra wight is welcome. I'm thinking that I might cut up protein bars and put them out where she can just snack on them. If they tasted like a cookie or candy bar she might go for it. Any suggestions as to a brand and flavour would be appreciated.

I think we had a previous thread on this subject but a search provided no results.

Make your own ice cream. Try adding protein powder to an egg base cluster ice cream.

I found some low carb bars at Aldi in several different flavors including peanut butter crunch, brownie, cranberry, coconut, lemon, choc. chunk, et. I've been eating some from our local store that are their generic brand, which are tasty. They all seem to have the same (or nearly the same) nutrient content, but I haven't tried the ones from Aldi yet. In addition to low carb bars, they also have high protein as well. If you have an Aldi near you, give them a try. Aldi has the best prices and are usually very similar, if not the same quality or better than your big box store.

When I wanted more protein, I would make my own smoothies/slushies with ice, water, fresh spinach (which you can't taste but makes it green), a scoop of vanilla protein powder, chia seeds, flax seed or oil, cinnamon, and raspberries. It probably sounds gross, but it was not bad and it was loaded with good stuff. You can also make a smoothie like drink like this (minus the ice) and get the plastic popcycle makers to make protein ice pops in the freezer. I haven't done this yet b/c I just saw the recommendation in a magazine, but I'm going to try that.

Jerkey has added sugar

Thanks All! She's 92 with fake teeth so the jersey isn't going to work for her but I might get some for me. I ordered some of the peanut butter protein bars from Amazon. If these work I'll order more and even widen her selection. I really have to trick her into the protein consumption. I might also get some protein powder and add it into some baked goods.

Tell her the store was completely empty except for pork chops.

The DW and I like the taste of the pure protein bars:
I think the texture is a little gummy, but she has never mentioned any negatives.

When I get snackish, I cut one up into 6 or 8 pieces and pretend it's a chocolate candy.
I've received these. I cut them in 5 pieces each and put them in the candy bowl one bar at a time. Mom has started on the second bar. It's slow but it is something significant. Little victories are all I can hope for. Thanks to all, having several options is of great help.

I had a chance to try some of the Elevation bars at Aldi and so far I really like them all. The coconut one coverd in chocolate tastes just like a mounds bar. It is really really good! I don't have nutrition information on that right now though, because the box is gone and I just bought one box to try. The next time I go there, I'm stocking up. I might have to freeze them so I don't go thru them so fast.

Robert Irvine's Fit Crunch is my favorite by far. I like it better than Snickers. You can get them in small (16g protein) or large (30g protein).

Optimum Nutrition "Gold Standard" protein powder in very good when mixed with milk. I use it after workouts. Don't mix it with water though - yuck! It has 24g protein in the powder and if mixed with 8 oz milk that's 32 g protein.

I had a chance to try some of the Elevation bars at Aldi and so far I really like them all. The coconut one coverd in chocolate tastes just like a mounds bar. It is really really good! I don't have nutrition information on that right now though, because the box is gone and I just bought one box to try. The next time I go there, I'm stocking up. I might have to freeze them so I don't go thru them so fast.
The Elevation bars are decent. Don't get the powder though - that stuff gave me the farts something awful!

My personal favorite is Clif bars. Multiple flavors, so lots of choices to find something she likes, but only 9 grams of protein. Nature Valley is good as well, and most flavors include nuts, but I don't know the protein content.

Here is a very simple recipe for trail bars that really tastes good. I have no idea what the protein content is but you can add whatever your Mom likes.

1 cup of all the ingredients.

Peanut Butter
Honey
Coconut
Instant Oatmeal
Raisins (optional)
Nuts (your choice)

Put the peanut butter and honey in a large mixing bowl, and heat in microwave until soft. Mix in the other ingredients and stir until everything is thoroughly mixed Put in a 12" x 12" x 1" baking/serving dish. Cut into bars and serve like brownies.

I think you have two options, get a good quality protein powder and add it to her favorite items. At her age, there is no changing her diet. I also agree With Morgan, whip up something. I even like different nuts, chop Until fine in food processor, add cocoa, peanut butter, flax seed ground, chia seeds soaked, hemp seeds. Mix up until I like the taste and consistency. Add spices if you want.
hemp seeds, chia seeds, peanut butter and good proteins

Latest posts

Back