Birding

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Do any of you have bird feeders and watch what kind of birds you draw to the feeders?

I've tried to do the bird seed feeders but the squirrels wreak havoc with them. They get on them, and shake them to drop all the seed. I've gotten suet feeders and they are more squirrel proof, but not 100%. I've had squirrels drop those feeders and take two of the suet cakes! Poof, gone!

I've seen some cool birds. I like to see wrens in the summer. Recently I've had a downy woodpecker visit the suet feeders. I read that they do like to eat at suet feeders in the winter.
Downy woodpecker.jpg

I am doing bird watching, trying to get to know the bird types in this state. Love the bluejays and the red cardinals the best. Little granddaughter and I watch the massive groups of blackbirds in the sky every morning when I take her to school. They are amazing to see them all fly together and swoop. We've had alot of turkey vultures hanging around, and they like to land on the barns and see what there is to attack. And that first summer we moved here, we had one hatch in the closet in the old milkhouse. That was interesting, but pretty nasty. I put out a sunflower feeder, a suet feeder, and a smaller seed feeder. But I also throw chicken scratch on the ground here and there for the herd of guineas, and I notice the birds will just come and eat that, too.

We have a suet feeder and seed feeder. In a month of so we'll put up hummingbird feeders as well.

We have a couple of Downey Woodpeckers as well as a couple of Red Belly Woddpeckers. Also chickadees, titmouse, robins, cardinals, bluebirds, wrens, sparrows, mocking bird, brown thrasher, junko. Probably others I'm forgetting. They change out thru the year, some stay year round. We've counted as many as 20 hummers when they are here.

We have two squirrel proof feeders someone gave me years ago, they work great. Have to hang them out of deer reach!! We get Cardinals, Dark Eyed Juncos, Titmouse, Chickadees, many different Woodpeckers. Also have a squirrel proof Finch feeder and get many red and yellow Finches. The raccoons eat all the suet so I stopped putting it out. Had to seriously wire the suet feeders to the tree because the coons would take the whole feeder! Bluebirds nest in the Purple Martin house, have for many years. I like them better, friendlier and also eat mosquitos! We have lots of Wrens. Always interesting where they nest! Had one start a nest in a pair of jeans on the clothesline once! Love to watch the birdies. Have two pair of resident Roadrunners too. A couple of years ago one of the barn cats got up in a nest and ate the eggs. She fell asleep in the nest. Mama Roadrunner had a fit, took both mom and dad to run the cat out of the tree!

We have a bird feeder in the yard, but I will have to check to see what my wife puts in it. It is a mixture of sunflower and other seeds. We get mostly songbirds. Lots of sparrows, occasionally some chickadees. Lots of cardinals a few Blue Jays and Mourning doves. We always get at least two nests a year, one in the front right by the front door, and one on the back patio. I enjoy them very much.

We do have squirrels that raid, but they seem to coexist with the birds pretty well.

We have a good amount of hawks. Why is it that you can always see hawks in trees and in posts along the highways? I can count at least five or six in just a 20 minute drive. They are gorgeous to see, and one of my favorites.
We too have a lot of hawks. The small hawks, Kestrils, like to dive bomb the bird feeders! A lot of Owls here too!

I have a pigeon loft . A bird house about 8 foot by 6 foot by 8 foot high . I have a small opening where they can leave this enclosure and fly about freely . We enjoy sitting on our back deck watching them put on aerial shows . I have no idea how for they travel . but each night they return . -- As of now I have nine pigeons , 5 solid white , 4 colored and with two pair presently nesting .

Last edited:
We keep a bird feeder up in front of the house. A couple weeks ago the birds started coming back. During winter we mostly only see magpies, ravens, hawks, owls and bald eagles. A lot of birds come up here in early spring just for nesting and then leave. We dont have much of a squirrel problem anymore. I shoot every one I see, plus the chipmunks. They do a lot of damage by nesting in vehicles and chewing wires.

I have a pigeon loft . A bird house about 8 foot by 6 foot by 8 foot high . I have a small opening where they can leave this enclosure and fly about freely . We enjoy sitting on our back deck watching them put on aerial shows . I have no idea how for they travel . but each night they return . -- As of now I have nine pigeons , 5 solid white , 4 colored and with two pair presently nesting .
Have a friend who ended up with a white pigeon after some bad storms. It took up on his covered back deck. He bought some kind of food for it and put it out a water bowl. It stayed nearly 6 months then left! Guess it went home?!

We have a couple places on our property that get a lot of blue birds every summer. I put out several nest boxes on fence posts for them. They seem to like them but a lot of times the swallows will get to the boxes first. I guess I'll have to put out a few more boxes before they show up. The pack rats like using the boxes too.

We have a couple places on our property that get a lot of blue birds every summer. I put out several nest boxes on fence posts for them. They seem to like them but a lot of times the swallows will get to the boxes first. I guess I'll have to put out a few more boxes before they show up. The pack rats like using the boxes too.
Bluebirds are loved birds!
I've read a lot about blue bird houses. There was a local government group that had classes for free to learn to make them. I never made it to one of the classes, because I don't think I live in the right place for bluebirds, but I have seen a couple varieties of them. I understand that you will only have bluebirds if you provide housing for them. They need to be put up at a certain distance and at a certain height off of the ground.

• "Old fence posts have been replaced with newer, hardier posts.
    • Wooden fence posts used to be excellent nesting sites for bluebirds after woodpeckers would hollow out cavities. But most of these wooden posts have now been replaced by metal posts, wire, or treated wood, which is harder for woodpeckers to excavate holes inside because it does not decay easily."

There are people who have put up blue bird houses in the mountains here. You can drive down certain highways and see one after another.

We have had lots of problems with pigeons. They leave such a mess and build nests in places wherever they can. I have lots of chicken wire in odd places to keep them away. Finally, we got a neighbor who helped us get rid of them. I have no idea how he did it, but we are pigeon free after dealing with them for quite a while.

I've put up bluebird houses and they usually will go to them the following year. Very pretty birds
We too have lots of hawks in the area. And Kestrel. They are so large they just stand out to me. We'll have an owl in the woods on occasion.
One bird we see in the area regularly are Ospreys. Those things are huge, but fun to watch.
Very rarely we will see a indigo Bunting. The brilliant color they have is about as pretty as it gets.
Wife got into bird watching heavily when she was recovering from her wreck. We've gotten a few books for IDing them. But the best we've found is a Smithsonian Handbook "Birds of North America Eastern Region". Its a big think book, something like 700 to 800 pages. But very detailed descriptions and pictures.

Bluebirds are loved birds!
I've read a lot about blue bird houses. There was a local government group that had classes for free to learn to make them. I never made it to one of the classes, because I don't think I live in the right place for bluebirds, but I have seen a couple varieties of them. I understand that you will only have bluebirds if you provide housing for them. They need to be put up at a certain distance and at a certain height off of the ground.

• "Old fence posts have been replaced with newer, hardier posts.
    • Wooden fence posts used to be excellent nesting sites for bluebirds after woodpeckers would hollow out cavities. But most of these wooden posts have now been replaced by metal posts, wire, or treated wood, which is harder for woodpeckers to excavate holes inside because it does not decay easily."

There are people who have put up blue bird houses in the mountains here. You can drive down certain highways and see one after another.
We have the mountain blue birds here. I'm planing on building some bird houses for them this spring. I'll just copy one of the existing bird houses. I'll have a lot of cedar lumber left over from building my smoke house.
We have several miles of fence on our property. Many of the old wooden posts are around 50-75+ years old. Every year I replace 300-700 of these old wooden posts with metal T posts, treated wooden line posts and railroad tie corner posts. But the area where we see the blue birds the most I'll leave as many old wooden posts as possible. One of these areas happen to be at the entrance of our property. We like to stop there and watch them.
Years ago before we moved here I drove up to the property in a rental car. It was hot so I left the windows down. When I got back to the car it was full of bluebirds. The males were fighting with themselves in the rear view mirror. The females were sitting on the head rests. They crapped all over the inside of the car. I thought I'd get charged for the clean up.

I believe there are a few designs for bluebird houses.

https://www.thespruce.com/free-bluebird-house-plans-385671
Bluebirds are some of the most desirable cavity-nesting backyard birds, but they need a safe, attractive place to nest. These free bluebird house plans can help any birder build just the right size, shape, and style of house to appeal to bluebirds and attract nesting bluebird pairs.

Choosing a Bluebird House to Build
Bluebirds will not nest in just any birdhouse. The right birdhouse will not only provide good, safe shelter for a brooding adult and its nestlings, but it should also be the proper size to admit bluebirds without encouraging unwanted residents.

The best dimensions for bluebird houses are:
  • Entrance hole: 1.5 inches (1.56 inches for mountain bluebirds)
  • Entrance height: 6 inches to 10 inches above the house floor
  • Interior floor space: 5 inches by 5 inches to accommodate broods of five to eight chicks
  • Total height: 8 inches to 12 inches with the back slightly higher to shed water
Different design options are serviceable for bluebirds, including rectangular houses, sloped patterns, round cavities, and houses with either front or side panels that open for easy monitoring. Any of these houses are ideal for nesting bluebirds, so long as the house is constructed with their needs in mind and positioned to keep them safe from predators.

Bluebird nesting box

ND1939 / Getty Images

Free Bluebird House Plans
Several websites offer different bluebird house plans for free printing or downloading, including:
In addition to these websites, many local bluebird societies or conservation groups may have suitable plans available. Similarly, most birders who maintain bluebird houses or work on a bluebird trail would be happy to share their experience to help more birders get involved as bluebird landlords.
Other Considerations When Building a Bluebird House
When using free plans to build a bluebird house, it is important to create the best possible home for resident bluebirds. To do so, don't forget:
  • Safety features: A safe birdhouse needs proper ventilation to keep birds cool, as well as a predator guard to minimize the risk from raccoons, cats, snakes, and other animals that will prey on vulnerable bluebirds. Avoid house plans that feature perches, which bluebirds do not need but which will give a convenient handhold to predators.1
  • Monitoring: Because so many insects, mice, and other pests may take up residence in bluebird houses, it is important to properly monitor the birdhouse to keep bluebirds safe. The data collected, such as brood size, the number of fledglings, and the overall nesting period, can be submitted to different organizations and is useful for citizen science projects.
  • Attracting bluebirds: No bluebirds will nest even in a perfect house if the surrounding habitat is unsuitable for their survival needs. Take proper steps to attract bluebirds to the yard by providing bluebird-friendly food, water, and shelter, and these birds will more readily take advantage of the house as a great nesting spot.
  • Placement: Put a bluebird house in a wide open area with a clear flight path into the nest. Bluebirds use houses that are placed in full sun and far away from the shade. Also, do not place a bluebird house near bird feeders.
  • Unwanted residents: Many other cavity-nesting birds will take advantage of bluebird houses, including house sparrows, house wrens, black-capped chickadees, Carolina wrens, and tufted titmice. Because bluebirds are less aggressive, they are often forced out of their homes. Be aware of these usurpers, and check that they aren't taking over the house before bluebirds have nested.
If You Can't Build a House
While every birder may want to welcome resident bluebirds to their birdhouses, not every birder is equally adept with the tools and woodworking experience necessary to build safe, effective birdhouses. If you can't tell a hammer from a hacksaw, there are birdhouse kits that may be suitable or could be adapted for bluebirds, or you can contact a local bluebird society for assistance.

Creating enough houses for a bluebird trail is an ideal Eagle Scout project, and many local woodworking clubs or classes would be happy to lend a hand with bluebird house construction.

With so many options available, there is no reason for any birder to shy away from becoming a bluebird landlord.

I see why they like my martin house! Right size compartments, no perches, no predators. They fight for it if sparrows or martins try to move in! I have three birdbaths within range, they come in droves in the summer to bathe!!
There are a couple birds that need specific openings in their houses. Wrens are small birds and they need small openings to keep other birds out. I'm trying to remember the kind of bird that is especially invasive with other song birds. It will drive other birds out. I knew someone who had a wren house, and this bird would try to drive the wrens out. But wrens are feisty little birds! I was so thrilled when I saw them at my suet feeder in the summer time and they ate it up fairly quickly. I've been trying to figure out where they nest in my area. I decided today that I need to get a wren house or two or three.

I don't think I've ever seen a purple martin. It is my understanding that they eat lots of mosquitos.

I've only kept one birdbath, and I think having more is a good idea.

Last edited:
There are a couple birds that need specific openings in their houses. Wrens are small birds and they need small openings to keep other birds out. I'm trying to remember the kind of bird that is especially invasive with other song birds. It will drive other birds out. I knew someone who had a wren house, and this bird would try to drive the wrens out. But wrens are feisty little birds! I was so thrilled when I saw them at my suet feeder in the summer time and they ate it up fairly quickly. I've been trying to figure out where they nest in my area. I decided today that I need to get a wren house or two or three.

i don't think I've ever seen a purple martin. It is my understanding that they eat lots of mosquitos.

I've only kept one birdbath, and I think having more is a good idea.
Wren can nest in some crazy places. Have one every year in the lid of our propane tank. We don't get propane but about every year and a half so I let her nest and clean it out when she's done. Had one build a nest in a sun hat I had hanging in the feed shed. I left the door open for air and she had quite a nest by the end of the day. I cleaned it out and piled her sticks on the ground by the door. She came and took most of them and rebuilt in a cow skull hanging on the shed!!

I did, when the plant man had his many feeders, & my DW BFF photographs a lot of birds.
I watch when I am out, I find the Red hawk amazing, but I have not shot any with a zoom lens.
I like seeing the chickadees in the snow, but never see much snow now.
I like seeing insect in the garden also, but the spiders freak out a lot of people.

We have always had bird feeders up at our houses except for this house. We don't have a big variety of birds that come to this place and the ones who came were not attracted to the bird feeders so I took them down.
We do have many many blue birds who stay here all year long(though we have more in the summers). We have both Mountain Blue birds and Western blue birds. I have many houses for them which are all used each year.
We do have hummingbird feeders up in the summer that are used heavily. We use about 30 lbs of sugar each year just for the hummingbirds. We have three species of hummingbirds that come here.

I and others posted many bird photos on this thread........
https://www.homesteadingforum.org/threads/love-them-wild-birds.8899/

We have always had bird feeders up at our houses except for this house. We don't have a big variety of birds that come to this place and the ones who came were not attracted to the bird feeders so I took them down.
We do have many many blue birds who stay here all year long(though we have more in the summers). We have both Mountain Blue birds and Western blue birds. I have many houses for them which are all used each year.
We do have hummingbird feeders up in the summer that are used heavily. We use about 30 lbs of sugar each year just for the hummingbirds. We have three species of hummingbirds that come here.

I and others posted many bird photos on this thread........
https://www.homesteadingforum.org/threads/love-them-wild-birds.8899/
Sometimes I spend a lot of time so that I don't duplicate threads, but it looks like I did with this one. Thank you, hiwall. I enjoy birds.

Sometimes I spend a lot of time so that I don't duplicate threads, but it looks like I did with this one. Thank you, hiwall. I enjoy birds.
Weedy, your thread was different enough! At least I think so! The other had more pictures. They are both great threads, especially with nesting season here and almost here for some!

Latest posts

Back