Birding

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the Western Tanagers... it's hard to get photos of the smaller birds in time, they bail pronto as soon as you make an appearance, lol. Here's a shot from my field guide, I think some of 'em are just yellow & black, no red cap. 🤔

IMG_0689.JPG

I've seen a bunch of these guys recently, the Black-headed Grosbeak... first time I've seen 'em here in Alamo. :rolleyes:

IMG_0688.JPG

I'm also seeing a bunch of these, not sure which it is, maybe both, lol... small birds with yellow vests. 😒

IMG_0690.JPG

IMG_0691.JPG

Haven't seen the hawk in a few days, maybe it moved to a different area. However, my yard is FULL of hummers zooming around, there must be 2 dozen of 'em, many younger birds... and some really gorgeous adults! I was doing something at the kitchen sink today, and the window is right there in front of the sink, so I got a good closeup look at a scintillating green hummer which hit some flowers outside the window. I tapped the glass and the hummer heard me, next thing I know the bird is right up by the glass, staring in at me, lol. It was an awesome moment! Wish I'd had my camera handy! I'm gonna look up that hummer in my field guide tomorrow, when I have better light to see by, yeah? I saw another one which had a white collar of sorts, that bird was cool, but the shiny green one was the bomb! :cool:

Haven't seen the hawk in a few days, maybe it moved to a different area. However, my yard is FULL of hummers zooming around, there must be 2 dozen of 'em, many younger birds... and some really gorgeous adults! I was doing something at the kitchen sink today, and the window is right there in front of the sink, so I got a good closeup look at a scintillating green hummer which hit some flowers outside the window. I tapped the glass and the hummer heard me, next thing I know the bird is right up by the glass, staring in at me, lol. It was an awesome moment! Wish I'd had my camera handy! I'm gonna look up that hummer in my field guide tomorrow, when I have better light to see by, yeah? I saw another one which had a white collar of sorts, that bird was cool, but the shiny green one was the bomb! :cool:
They are fixing to head south!! Feed them a lot! We have a bunch here too!!♥️

I've read that songbirds are being decimated due to Avian flu. I hardly see them any more. What I have been seeing is crows, which I do happen to love, but I would love to see a variety of birds.

My suet feeders kept being knocked down, and then the cage broken open and the suet cakes were gone. It was probably squirrels.

I think that the suet feeders were attracting magpies, which I think drive away other smaller birds. After losing several suet cakes in a matter of a week or so, I decided to not put them back up for a while. It took a little while, but then the magpies went away. I love to see the sparrows and wrens at the suet feeders, but thought the rascals disturbing them needed to go away.

I've read that songbirds are being decimated due to Avian flu. I hardly see them any more. What I have been seeing is crows, which I do happen to love, but I would love to see a variety of birds.

My suet feeders kept being knocked down, and then the cage broken open and the suet cakes were gone. It was probably squirrels.

I think that the suet feeders were attracting magpies, which I think drive away other smaller birds. After losing several suet cakes in a matter of a week or so, I decided to not put them back up for a while. It took a little while, but then the magpies went away. I love to see the sparrows and wrens at the suet feeders, but thought the rascals disturbing them needed to go away.
I currently have a hummingbird problem, I have 2 feeders and approximately 12 at a time buzzing my head. I need to start wearing safety glasses on the porch!

I currently have a hummingbird problem, I have 2 feeders and approximately 12 at a time buzzing my head. I need to start wearing safety glasses on the porch!
My mom used to keep a couple hummingbird feeders in front of the living room windows, North side. When the feeders ran empty the hummingbirds would come over and tap on the kitchen windows, East side, to tell Mom that it was time for a refill.

Latest posts

Back