Birthday Gift ideas for someone turning 40, 50, or beyond......

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angie_nrs

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
We got a last minute invite to a Birthday party for a person we normally only see once per year due to long distance. He is going to turn 50 and so his family decided to throw him a party. At this point, it's too late to buy anything online, so I'm at a loss on what to get him. I really don't want to get him a gift card and I don't even know where I'd get if for. I wouldn't mind getting him something funny, but typically things like canes, denture cases, reading glasses, etc. are items that get a chuckle and then get tossed. It just seems like a waste.

We're not completely sure what his interests are, except that he likes to party on the weekends.....except we don't really even know what he drinks. Clearly he's not a really close friend, but we'd still like to get him something. Anyone have any ideas?

A bottle of scotch/bourbon/rum usually goes over well with folks who like that kind of thing.
Ron Zacapa 23 year old rum can be had for under $40 at most liquor stores around here and it's quite good. Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban scotch is one of my faves and comes in under $60, usually. Blanton's bourbon isn't crazy expensive, but it can be really hard to find.

Even though I am not a drinker of alcohol, a good bottle of wine or other spirits is always a great gift for someone who does drink. A six pack of good beer is also a great gift. I had a boss who was Bohemian Czech and he used to get six packs of Bohemian beer for his birthday, Christmas and end of the school year from teachers. Gifts cards to a great restaurant are also a great gift idea.

Last edited:
Guys of any age like toys. Doesn't matter if they were designed for the younger generation - guys never grow up really. Get him a "Mini Drone". Probably about $30. Amazon has a ton of choices, but since you're past the online ordering point, I'm sure you could find them at a Walmart, BestBuy, or some local place like that. There is so much fun you can have with these silly things - fly them into someone's dinner plate, the ceiling fan, the fireplace - loads of opportunities indoors. As you gain flying experience, you'll find that your dogs and cats love 'em (well, kind of).

If you have a large bookstore around you - a Barnes & Noble or something - they often times have a "discount section" near the front of the store. And in that discount section there is invariably one or more books on "How to Tie Knots". Pick up one of those, then head over to Home Depot or Lowes to where they have ropes and chains on spools where you can cut to length. But a couple of 5 to 6 foot pieces of 5mm to 7mm kernmantle rope (the kind with a sheath over the outside, not three twisted strands like traditional manila rope), in different colors. Get ropes that have similar feel - limpness, grippiness, etc. The different colors make it easy to trace which rope is going where inside a knot.

Then you have a "Knot Learning and Tying Kit" for a gift. If you can't find a book, do some online searching of how to tie knots. There are tons of picture websites telling you how. Copy a few of those URL's and print them out on a piece of paper so your friend will know where to go to learn how to use his new rope-toys.

My first thought was a bottle o f H i ccc Upp! Oops :cool: But after the above comments, tie down straps are always handy.
Whatever you decide, include a card~ in it, write one good memory, one funny memory, and a kind wish for the future. Then it won't matter what the gift is.

If he is a partyer I would go with a bottle of Jack Daniels. It's always a big hit, and it won't break the bank.

Figure out what he likes, make a list, then identify what he could use doing what he likes. Think about where he could get what he could use (that would identify a gift card). Is he a hunter, a gardner, a carpenter, .... the list goes on. But each would have a different source for supplies...

Latest posts

Back