Black Walnuts

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peanut

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Black Walnuts aka Juglans nigra L. After the storms this weekend I have black walnuts falling all down my driveway and in the garden. Black walnut tincture is old folk medicine. It's described in detail in the books I reference here...

https://www.homesteadingforum.org/threads/herbal-medicine-books-peanut-recommends.6745/

I was searching tonight for really good web-based reference material. I'd never heard of this lady (Ms Ashley) but read her post on black walnuts in detail. Her descriptions of all its uses are thorough and well written.

https://practicalselfreliance.com/black-walnut-tincture/

I've made black walnut powder a couple of times. Thankfully I've never had occasion to use it. It's a straight forward simple process as is making tincture.

If I get time this week I’ll make some tincture.

Here is the USDA complete profile on Black Walnut

https://plants.usda.gov/core/profile?symbol=JUNI

Walnuts 02_v1.jpg
Walnuts 03_v1.jpg

I've got a bunch of these trees on my place too.
Hard on lawn mowers.

I've actually used them at different stages to stain a project. Works ok, at least I can say I made my own stain.

We have cracked them and used the nuts...better be aged though..if diahreah ain't your thing.

Jim

Only 4 years late but I finally got around to making black walnut tincture. I just did a Simplers Tincture, nothing fancy. Just a quart mason jar and my eyes, looked about right to me. The books call for a full 2 month wait for it to be ready. This means I'll wait 3...

Black walnut 25oct22a.JPG

Only 4 years late but I finally got around to making black walnut tincture. I just did a Simplers Tincture, nothing fancy. Just a quart mason jar and my eyes, looked about right to me. The books call for a full 2 month wait for it to be ready. This means I'll wait 3...

View attachment 96755
Is that just cracked hulls, or the entire nut?

Just cracked hulls. They start to rot as soon as they hit the ground. The ground was covered but I had trouble finding enough for tincture that wasn't nasty.

A few, half the hull was fine, the other half not so fine etc. Had to cut off the bad spots. Clean fresh green hull is the target.

I've been reading about it's more advanced uses. It's an amazing plant.

Just cracked hulls. They start to rot as soon as they hit the ground. The ground was covered but I had trouble finding enough for tincture that wasn't nasty.

A few, half the hull was fine, the other half not so fine etc. Had to cut off the bad spots. Clean fresh green hull is the target.

I've been reading about it's more advanced uses. It's an amazing plant.
Geez, should have talked to the volunteer at the farm last week, the kids were picking up all the "green" walnuts so people didn't trip and fall.

Have to remember for next year, sometimes the squirrels bring me one or two.

The red neck walnut mill:
Pour a few bushels of green nuts out in the driveway.

Drive over them for two weeks.

Make the kids go pick up the survivors.

Pass out the hammers and Saddle needles and have a nut buster party.

Put all the grains onto a big baking pan and put it in the drying car two weeks.

Dry can them like any other nut.

The hulls are good for coloring fish nets & if you have enough you can sale them.
Hulls & nuts are of value if you have enough to make it worth picking up.

I remember those days, whacking walnuts through a hole in the board to get the husks off. Moms hated it, we looked dirty and walnut stained, but we kids had an absolute blast taking turns with a hammer.

Grandma always set the newer moms straight when they complained :). They had canning to do, kids can whack a walnut with a hammer :)

Latest posts

Back