Blackberries

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yep. Mine have started to ripen and I picked a quart and made muffins. SO good too!

002.JPG

Our wild blackberries are coming on strong too. Now if I could just get to them before the Robins do! I saw them fighting over the bushes last night.

I hear you on the blood sacrifice Old Coot. I hate the itchies I get after picking so I make sure I pick and then go get a shower.

Those look yummy!!! Care to share the recipe??

lol sure its an easy one

2 cups baking mix ( bisquick style I use store brand )
1 egg
2/3 cup milk or water
1/4 cup white sugar
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 cup of berries ( your choice. I usually just add berries until it looks good lol)
*optional* you can sprinkle the tops before baking with either white sugar or cinnamon sugar

Oven to 400 degrees
Grease or spray muffin tin
Mix all the ingredients until blended then add berries
Spoon into muffin cups.
Bake until golden brown ( recipe says 15 mins but I do mine 20-22 mins because I know my oven)
Makes 12 muffins

Syrup and frozen too.

My bushes aren't that many so I'll probably only get a maybe 3 -4 quarts. So I won't have enough to freeze for the winter months.
I am debating on whether to buy some and freeze them tho. I do blueberries every year so I have them for my baking and my oatmeal

I must be in a way different climate. I have had a huge crop already finish on my Ouachita's and all my wild ones have died off now. My Ouchita's are on another very big second crop right now and ripening nicely......

I've been looking for blackberries that will survive in Alaska but no joy so far.

Have you looked overseas like in Norway or even *gasp* Russia? they have the colder climate like you do. Just a thought

I got another quart or so of blackberries today with more on the way. My arms and legs are scratched pretty good though. It almost makes me wonder if it's worth the itchies and the sweat equity......broke a pretty good sweat since it's quite hot outside.

The raspberries didn't do as well as the blackberries this year. Too bad....I like the raspberries better.

I have ordered a variety of blackberries that has half a chance of surviving in Alaska. They will arrive in the spring so I need to be ready. I want to build soil for them to give them the best chance. What do blackberries like and how do I build a cubic yard of soil for them? I imagine raised beds will be the way to go.

In the South we put up post every 10-15 feet, with a single wire/cable on it.
The problem I see for really cold zones,3,2,1, is that the new vine come out in Spring,
then over Winter to bloom & fruit next Spring.
If this works great, if not you could mount the wire in a way that you could easily detach it,
to lay the wire & blackberry vine on the ground.
Then cover the wire & vine with a thick layer of mulch, this technique is use with Fig trees in the North.
You could wrap the vines in the Fall, if you do not lay them down.
Then there are fruit tree walls, rock & brick is best, with rocks around the plant to cover the roots.
The day heat from the sun, will warm the plant at night.
Walls cost, so a wind break made fiber, wood will help, rocks or gravel on the bed will still warm the roots.
Please let us know how they fair in the North.

Latest posts

Back