Blueberrys ,etc,.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great timing Meer. My blueberries are at the end of harvest for this year. Mine need to be pruned and I've never ran across anyone being speicfic to blueberries or summer pruning. Got this saved for later reference.

Great timing Meer. My blueberries are at the end of harvest for this year. Mine need to be pruned and I've never ran across anyone being speicfic to blueberries or summer pruning. Got this saved for later reference.

BacP this is why I put it up too, plus never knew you could prune in summer,since our bushes are bew I will watch this later to see what they need .

Wow in only 20 minutes I've picked up a couple things. His plants are so open. Mine are very full of limbs and foilage. And I am sure there are branches in some that are well over 6 years old. He mentioned pruning anywhere from 30-70% of growth. I'm gonna try about 50% on a couple of my older plants, closer to 30% on the others. Don't want to over do it, but give it a shot and see how they do next year. One thing I don't agree with, or at least have zero expeirence with is growing them in containers. Mine are all in the ground and we have mostly clay soils. They are on slopes so runs off well, but the soil stays damp for a while. So far (15 years +) I haven't had any issues with them. All of his plants are smaller than all but 2 of mine. Mine are mostly all 6'+ tall, except for 2 which are maybe 2' tall. I may dig them up and put them in big pots and see how they perform. They would be easier to work with for sure. One thing I agree with is having them in a partially shaded area, 4 of mine only get full sun for maybe 4 hours in the morning. The other 4 get 4-6 more in mid day.
Thanks for posting this Meer

Last edited:
I haven't watched the whole video yet, but this is excellent information.

I have been wanting to plant some blueberries in my yard. I have looked at them on Stark's a few times and am really glad I did not get them yet, because they would not have done well in my yard. I was holding off because of all the other projects I have had going on.

The idea that blueberries do better in raised beds or half wine barrels is something I would not have thought of.

I did see somewhere this year that it is better to have more than one variety of blueberry.

In the area we live in the soil is very acidic and blueberries do extremely well, as do other acid soil loving trees. I have been wanting to get blueberries and finally planted four in the fenced garden and have four younger plants in large containers in a partially shaded area on our deck along with young cherry, apple, fig, other tree starts, patio tomato, black cherry tomato, strawberry, flowers, herbs and a Jasmin plant. It's our garden away from the garden and the biggest difference is that the deck plants need much more attention with watering. Soil conditions on our property are such that we can just dig a hole, put a tree start in and they will take off. We have a beautiful black walnut that I started from a walnut that was in a coffee can at the base of an elderberry tree for two years before I planted it on the bank below our deck and it's around 30' tall now and is producing more walnuts each year. Years ago we picked a lot of apples from trees that might have been on old farms that are no longer existing, we threw the peelings and cores in a fenced chicken yard and the seeds started a bunch of trees which I cut down to five good ones that taste good and some years produce so many apples that the branches sometimes break. This year all our apple trees are filled and I may need to brace limbs to keep them from breaking. On the other hand, a lot of garden plants do not do well in our acidic soil and need soil amendments, especially lime, to get them growing healthy.

Wow, who knew you could do something other than eat them. Or have a blueberry fight. That if you get there before the bears

I haven't watched the whole video yet, but this is excellent information.

I have been wanting to plant some blueberries in my yard. I have looked at them on Stark's a few times and am really glad I did not get them yet, because they would not have done well in my yard. I was holding off because of all the other projects I have had going on.

The idea that blueberries do better in raised beds or half wine barrels is something I would not have thought of.

I did see somewhere this year that it is better to have more than one variety of blueberry.

The reason for growing multiple types is for pollination purposes. If you look at the Stark links on types, almost all of them say grows best with _____ type. That holds true with many fruits.

The reason for growing multiple types is for pollination purposes. If you look at the Stark links on types, almost all of them say grows best with _____ type. That holds true with many fruits.
Another thing I saw was that if and when you have different varieties, you can have blueberries from different bushes, spread throughout the season.

That is true as well. Mine start producing in mid-late June. I picked my last berries last week. So what 6 weeks. Some perform longer than others as well. Some I'll pick 3-4 weeks, others only a week or so.
Berry flavor and size vary as well

Another thing I saw was that if and when you have different varieties, you can have blueberries from different bushes, spread throughout the season.

Weedy I'm just learning that too since we bought this last plants a couple weeks ago.
We had them before in greenhouse but back then they did fine on their own,but somehing killed them after a few years,so I got 2 more.

That is true as well. Mine start producing in mid-late June. I picked my last berries last week. So what 6 weeks. Some perform longer than others as well. Some I'll pick 3-4 weeks, others only a week or so.
Berry flavor and size vary as well

I hope to save some cuttings and plants for future maybe I can trade with someone who has a different kind? I think these are rabbit eye ?

More than one of any fruiting plant will cause heavier fruiting, more than one variety will do the same, if they bloom at the same time.
About 95% of the blueberry plants are self polinating. I have 5 or more varieties, with no names, they where giving to me as sucker.
I have bought a few & want to get Titan next & maybe a few late blooming plants.
I did not prune much the first 15 years, I let the plants grow natrual & picked the berries. When TSFTF I will have a lot of problems & work, I will not have time to baby fruiting perennials. So I want hardy perennials that can grow wild, now that they are proven, I need to thin them & remove sucker to new rolls. I start by pinch prune the light green new growth, when I am picking berries. I have about 2 weeks of picking left, then I can prune.
I will start with the 4 SOP rules of pruning:
1) remove dead & diseased wood.
2) any limbs that grow into or though the bush, also rub other limbs.
3)Shape the plant, Less is more, take your time.
4) alway use sharp cutters & wipe with bleach, after removing diseased limbs & before moving to a new plant.

Latest posts

Back