Boiling up maple sap

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randyt

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Tapped a few trees this year. It was a goofy sap season,warm spells then cold spells. I did get some sap. I'm going to build a little sugar shack for my own use.
20220402_190201.jpg

Cold nights,warm days in spring time. I tap mostly soft maple on my property. A tree 12 inches or so in diameter produces about a gallon a day. This is a average. I collect during the week and store in a food grade barrel. Then on weekend I boil down. Care needs to be taken as not to allow the sap to sour. I keep it in a barn out of the sun. I am no expert. Some folks use vacuum systems to collect sap and reverse osmosis before boiling.

I'm old school. Tap. Collect in containers and pour in big container. Boil using wood. I have a special syrup filter coming. Usually use coffee filters for straining. It is strained hot. I finish the syrup on the stove once it is boiled down. Too much moisture to boil in house from fromsap.

I have heard that sycamore,black walnut and birch can be tapped for sap. There are probably others.

It is illegal in michigan to tap trees on state owned land

My pan I made from a piece of ss sheet. Soldered corners with lead free solder. I had a piece of found ss. Folded up a pan with no particular design in mind. My good luck it fit a 55 gallon drum with the side cut down. It slipped right between the two lids and over hung the sides a few inches.
20220417_093919.jpg

Latest posts

Back