Books on cooking and preserving.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tank-Girl

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
A Cabin Full Of Food.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/26863685-a-cabin-full-of-food

I found this absolute gem from Homestead Tessie on YT.

It's brilliant.
None of the recipes require elecrical appliances to perpare.
Gives recipes on making yoghurt and ginger beer bugs and sourdough starters.

I got the Kindle version on Amazon but I'm going to save up for the physical version
when I have my rent buffer back to where it should be.

She was raised Old Order Mennonite, so she seems a bit different. Not practicing OOM now, though, but her slang and accent are familiar to me. I enjoy her.

I like watching her too. I love the way she found to get free food. Doesn't work around here though, there nothing left when the food banks/pantries get done handing stuff out and you have to have a pay stub to verify income to even get in.

Yep. Was helping out at the Storehouse in Albuquerque one day. People line up about an hour before opening, and have to check in and wait. They have to be "in their system", and the system knows how many they're allotted for in their family. Then, a helper takes them around to the food sections...one in their family would mean one can of fruit or veg, one can of soup, and so on. They get to choose from the section. I was helping an old lady out, and it was just her. When she made her choices, she went outside to put the food in her trunk, and some guys took it. She came in crying her eyes out. I remembered what she picked, and got another box ready and brought it to her trunk. It's shameful when the food gets swiped on the way out.
I look at our Kroger's Store twice a week for their discounted fruits and vegetables. They are a dollar in a netted bag. Sometimes there's nothing. Sometimes enough for two dehydrators full.

Latest posts

Back