Books on Wild Edible Plants

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peanut

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I’ve read a large number of books in this genera, own several. The two best modern authors are John Kallas Phd. And Samuel Thayer. The old field guide by Elias & Dykeman has a place in my library too.

All of these books may have updated copies available, just have to check.

My favorite is “Edible Wild Plants” by J. Kallas. His book doesn’t cover as many plants as Thayer’s but he covers all those that can be harvested in quantity and are the most nutritious. He also covers more plants in the southern US. Thayer’s books cover more plants in colder climates, northern us and canada.

Also, the Kallas book gives much more detailed information on nutritional valves in comparison to garden vegetables. It’s also more detailed in ways to prepare these plants, even recipes.

There are several good foraging blogs and websites. They tend to be "regional" in nature which is a good thing. They reflect current conditions too.

"Eat the Weeds" is my favorite, volumes of detailed information, a lot of southern plants. Eat The Weeds and other things, too

"Foraging Texas" by Mark "Merriwether" Vorderbruggen is another good site I visit. Foraging Texas

Wild Food Adventures by John Kallas https://wildfoodadventures.com/

The first book photo... “Edible Wild Plants” by J. Kallas (2010) and “The Forager’s Harvest” by S. Thayer (2011). The second photo is “Nature’s Garden” by S. Thayer (2010), and the Story’s field guide “Edible Wild Plants" by Elias & Dykeman. All have plenty to offer for beginners and old foragers alike. A must own for preppers.

Wild edibles b 5a .JPG
Wild edibles b 5b .JPG

Last edited:
I’ve read a large number of books in this genera, own several. The two best modern authors are John Kallas Phd. And Samuel Thayer. The old field guide by Elias & Dykeman has a place in my library too.

All of these books may have updated copies available, just have to check.

My favorite is “Edible Wild Plants” by J. Kallas. His book doesn’t cover as many plants as Thayer’s but he covers all those that can be harvested in quantity and are the most nutritious. He also covers more plants in the southern US. Thayer’s books cover more plants in colder climates, northern us and canada.

Also, the Kallas book gives much more detailed information on nutritional valves in comparison to garden vegetables. It’s also more detailed in ways to prepare these plants, even recipes.

There are several good foraging blogs and websites. They tend to be "regional" in nature which is a good thing. They reflect current conditions too.

"Eat the Weeds" is my favorite, volumes of detailed information, a lot of southern plants. Eat The Weeds and other things, too

"Foraging Texas" by Mark "Merriwether" Vorderbruggen is another good site I visit. Foraging Texas

Wild Food Adventures by John Kallas https://wildfoodadventures.com/

The first book photo... “Edible Wild Plants” by J. Kallas (2010) and “The Forager’s Harvest” by S. Thayer (2011). The second photo is “Nature’s Garden” by S. Thayer (2010), and the Story’s field guide “Edible Wild Plants by Elias & Dykeman. All have plenty to offer for beginners and old foragers alike. A must own for preppers.

View attachment 85144View attachment 85145
Thanks peanut!!👍🙂

I thought I'd posted these long ago, even posted that I had in a thread this morning. I went looking for the link and didn't find one. Oops!

Maybe others have great foraging books for their area and would like to post here.

Last edited:
Hey, there's Euell Gibbons!!! Funny, I thought of him earlier today... I still remember his ads on TV. :rolleyes:

"YA EVER EAT A PINE CONE?" :oops:

I have a selective memory when it comes to old TV ads: I still remember the cryin' Injun, the refrigerator full of ping-pong balls, and a few other classics, lol. ;)

I thought I'd posted these long ago, even posted that I had in a thread this morning. I went looking for the link and didn't find one. Oops!

Maybe others have great foraging books for their area and would like to post here.
I think I've seen one of these anyways. I will have to see what I have on the shelf - love this!
The other books you posted were on medicinal plants - that I remember. I have a couple of those recommendations on my shelf - thank you!

They do make 16, 20, and 24 oz bottles with lids
Yes, but it needs to have the coke bottle shape to wrap the fishing line on. :)

I don't own many foraging books but mine came recommended by folks I respect greatly. I have a great set of dvds too. They are by the "Eat the Weeds" guy. He teaches all over Florida.

Edible and medicinal plants cross often. Several of my best medicinals are great in a salad. Lots if ways to learn! The book I posted "Resources of the southern fields and forest" written in the 1868 has good info on many plants.

@dademoss I used to say the same thing about someone else! 😁 I try to post the best books whose knowledge I have used often irl. Books I've used to hunt and make medicines, eaten the wild plants etc. If a book doesn't measure up it gets donated.

Peanut, every time you post my stack of books to read gets piled higher and deeper :D

TYVM.
That happens to me in the garden section too (as well as when @Peanut posts) 😬

Peanut - that's how I roll with books too. They only go on the shelf if they're keepers.

This is a question for whoever can answer it but especially Peanut. I just saw a pretty large patch of this growing in my yard near our carport. I looked it up on “picture This” plant ID app. It was identified as Garlic Chives. What can anyone tell me about this? How to harvest, what to do with it?

Attachments

• IMG_9638.png
    IMG_9638.png
    4.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9639.png
    IMG_9639.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
I stopped buying the book when they started to repeat foods for the south-east.
I may have missed some gems.
The library has a book that is said to list all edibles in the whole world, yes the whole Planet.
I never seen it.

I'm a fan of this guy:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euell_GibbonsI have about half his books.
His soda bottle fishing kit was pure genius, pity we no longer have 16 Oz coke bottles with screw on lids.
There are some lesser known books by Euell. Good reads, two that come to mind is Stalking the Good Life and Stalking the Far Away Places

This is a question for whoever can answer it but especially Peanut. I just saw a pretty large patch of this growing in my yard near our carport. I looked it up on “picture This” plant ID app. It was identified as Garlic Chives. What can anyone tell me about this? How to harvest, what to do with it?

I'm sorry, i missed your post until today. Is the photo of the plant in your yard? Or a stock photo?

Wild garlic is an easy id, BUT! There is a toxic look a like.. Just remember...

'If it looks like garlic and smells like garlic, it's garlic' 'If it looks like garlic but does not smell like garlic, it's not wild garlic.'

Latest posts

Back