Books

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parascuba

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
There are few books That I have been reading that what motiving me to getting homesteading. Of course, after I lost my job and friend told me about buying land for cheaps.

The first book I bought e-book but I had it print out from OfficeMax. Strange about OfficeMax. After they printed it out and I pick up a book. 2 hours later. They called me "No we can't print this book because it's copyright. We will destroy the book" But the problem is... I already pick up. Weird... Anyway, this e-book called Simple Solar Homesteading Off the grid by LaMar Alexander. I'm sure most of you know of that e-book. I think it's a good book. What makes me buy it? "How to build 14 x 14 solar cabin for under $2,000" Of course it's not even under $2,000 I google up with home depot and lowe for lumber. it cost like 10k or so. Probably he uses recycle or stuff already lay around at his property. But other than that. It's still a good book. Like, explain how to build with small solar, wind power system, solar composting toilet, how to drill a well and harvest rain and gray water, etc etc etc.

The second Book I grab from amazon called The New complete book of Self-Sufficiency. The classic guide and for realists and dreamers. By John Seymour. I think it's a great book. So much info in there. I know it going to be a useful book once I grab the land.. I'll admit it, sometimes that book went over my head. I had to read and reread few time to make sure understand. But some of them still went over my head. Last Sept, I went to the hospital for surgery. At the hospital, it's very bored to lay there and eat plain food. I'm glad I talk to my roommate to bring that book for me to read during my week in the hospital. I do enjoy the cool info from that book. One most I enjoy reading about The Five-Acre Holding. "Dividing your five acres" with all list of possible within 5 acres. I wonder what can I do with 10, mmm Well I already gave up 10 acres in Nevada. Right now I'm hunting for another land. With all you guys suggestions/tips. I don't want to spend long term and waste money when it's too dry and no water. Gave up now. Then careful choice right... and not overprice.

There's another book I found on my library shelf. I don't even know that I own it. Probably one of roommate put it there before they move out. Maybe pass down from my parent when I build bookshelves it was too empty. My parent put some books there. Point is, I have it. Called Dirt-Cheap Survival Retreat one Man's Solution. by M.D.Creekmore. I always bring that book with me in my SUV. For any time my parent or friend needs a ride without using uber. While I wait at the store or barber or whatever place. I read that book. I think it's a pretty good book.

Chapter two - Junkyard.
... By definition, junk land is useless property, so expect less than perfect. What you will likely find will be remote and off the power grid, with roads rough and unattended and maybe accessible only by four-wheel-drive vehicles. ....Don't look for land with standing timber, water running through it, or other resources. Instead expect land that has been stripped or clear-cut, or that is a barren desert. Expect to do a lot of work to improve the property to the point of livability...

I'm not going to type everything in the book. But I think this book is a good book too.

@Parascuba, The book you cited "The New complete book of Self-Sufficiency" sounds like that is right up my ally. I am focusing on pre-electric and pre-industrial technology in my studies, so I might look more into that book and consider getting it.

I am fascinated and am building up the tools and skills that allowed humans to thrive prior to modern technology. That isn't to say I don't use modern stuff, but almost nothing central to my preps or central to the success of my old Alaskan Homestead that I purchased almost a decade ago is dependent on electricity or modern convivences and it was set up to be successful without anything "modern." I was actually born on an Appalachian family homestead and I recall living without electricity, etc.

A book that I enjoyed is this: "The Forgotten Skills of Self-Sufficiency Used by the Mormon Pioneers" by Caleb Warnock. I'm not Mormon and you don't even have to be religious to enjoy this book. There may be some overlap with the Self Sufficiency book, but it is very down to earth, so it may fill in some gaps.

Some of my books are topic specific such as in cellaring, or location specific about the original Alaskan Homesteaders as these have useful tips and full of knowledge that these folks learned the hard way.

I just added the series to the bookshelf a couple month ago.
When I realized The Princess and I both owned the first Foxfire, D&D Master Guide, and JRR Tolkien...

😍

We are going to immerse ourselves in The Fourth Turning. We have homework from our money guy try and figure out what sectors will thrive as the last of the baby boomers transition out of the work force. I am seeing adds for skilled help that are rather lucrative.

Interesting rimes.

Ben

Latest posts

Back