Bordom and Isolation

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meerkat

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
What do you do fro this? Bored with all work and no play and add to that isolation if you live out in the woods.

We tried all the churches around here a few years ago and just can't agree with them. Use to have a little Cheers type bar and restaurant with really good food and entertainment piano and horn player's, dinner club. It closed down about 10 years ago when the druggies started coming in and ran the good customers off. Since then not much going on in this small town.

So what do you do for entertainment?

Mostly I read a lot. Visit forums on the Internet (I read 4-5 of them most days). Do some reloading, and go to the range once per 2 weeks on average. Bowl once a week in a geezers' league.

The nearest bowling alley is about 35 miles away and hubby can't bowl with his back. I read like you do and listen to music alot. But that is no longer enough for me. Gun club had a 3 year waiting list last I checked.
Anyway, I'm just wonderign what to do and what yall do.

Lots of projects around home. Gun club off and on when I have time. Sometimes just going for a ride also in the country is relaxing. I spend time online reading and gaming quite a bit as well.

i never get bored on the farm. tired is more like it.my family keeps me entertained , since i missed so much when my kids were growing up. now i have time to spend with them as adults and it makes ny heart feel good to see how well they turned out. with that being said if all my children lived close to me ,as within walking distance, i would never leave home in a vehicle. i just like being at home.

Lots of projects around home. Gun club off and on when I have time. Sometimes just going for a ride also in the country is relaxing. I spend time online reading and gaming quite a bit as well.

Thats good that you find things to do Guard. I live in the rural woods so my idea of relaxation now would be a busy noisy hustling bustling huge city like Atlanta use to be.
I have never played a game on line, sometimes Monopoly or Scrabble with hubby is about it. And crosswords more than either of the other two.

i never get bored on the farm. tired is more like it.my family keeps me entertained , since i missed so much when my kids were growing up. now i have time to spend with them as adults and it makes ny heart feel good to see how well they turned out. with that being said if all my children lived close to me ,as within walking distance, i would never leave home in a vehicle. i just like being at home.

Timmie that is great you live close to your kids, we moved 400 miles from home and son lives in Texas for past 30 years. Kids were bust with careers so we moved thinking it would just be a Florida vacation home and guard donkey business type ranch, life had other plans. And you sound like hubby far as not caring to leave home.

Last edited:
Read. Putter around the house doing maintenance. Work. Research RV's, dream about buying one to motor around to see the country. Read. House maintenance. Work. Honey Dos and reading.

:fun fun: yep!

I did the RV thing , the wrong way! Now just want to fix van and use tent if camp ground is available. It is getting harder to find a site. And the price has tripled for campsites in past few years.
State parks are ok if you can get one. We like Anastasia State Park but now the water is poisoned by big biz and big ape RINO Governer who protects them. :(
I know there is a little place in town we can try out and see how it looks. May do that later this week. Some of the neighbors want to have a street cookout next month when it cools off some too. :cool:

:fun fun: yep!

I did the RV thing , the wrong way! Now just want to fix van and use tent if camp ground is available. It is getting harder to find a site. And the price has tripled for campsites in past few years.
State parks are ok if you can get one. We like Anastasia State Park but now the water is poisoned by big biz and big ape RINO Governer who protects them. :(
I know there is a little place in town we can try out and see how it looks. May do that later this week. Some of the neighbors want to have a street cookout next month when it cools off some too. :cool:
Meer, there are people who have built up their van's to live in full time. Many of them have Youtube channels. A bed in the back, a small kitchen area, a portable toilet of some sort and people are on the road for ever. Many single people do this, but even some couples are. Some are retired, but there are people of all ages out there. They tend to congregate together and help each other out. It seems there are lots of campfires and circling of the vans.

Campgrounds can be expensive, but there are websites that are all about where to camp for free.

Any hospitals or nursing homes around to visit and volunteer for? You might be able to rock babies in NICU, or read to nursing home person or someone in hospital. Can you crochet or knit or sew and make items to donate to various organizations? Take up American Girl dolls, can be done for not much if getting a used one. Then sew and discuss that online.
Just a few thoughts that are off the top of my head.

Meer, there are people who have built up their van's to live in full time. Many of them have Youtube channels. A bed in the back, a small kitchen area, a portable toilet of some sort and people are on the road for ever. Many single people do this, but even some couples are. Some are retired, but there are people of all ages out there. They tend to congregate together and help each other out. It seems there are lots of campfires and circling of the vans.

Campgrounds can be expensive, but there are websites that are all about where to camp for free.

Yes I know I have watched a many of those but hubby ain't going for it at all.:eyeballs: He says ' Happy Trails ' will be here when I get back. :huh::mad:.

But he will go any place I want to go for a short week long trip. And camping out is not his idea of having fun. He does like to visit both our families in Atlanta though. So we do that a couple times a year, except this past year we had too much to do and van broke down.
We have a little truck but it is so small it looks like my van had a baby parked next to it in the yard. I feel like I'm sitting on the pavement or riding a go cart going down the road with semis speeding by us.:eek:.

Any hospitals or nursing homes around to visit and volunteer for? You might be able to rock babies in NICU, or read to nursing home person or someone in hospital. Can you crochet or knit or sew and make items to donate to various organizations? Take up American Girl dolls, can be done for not much if getting a used one. Then sew and discuss that online.
Just a few thoughts that are off the top of my head.

Yes but many nursing homes here won't allow visitors,only family. And hospitals are too far away to visit much.
Me and sewing never did get along that much. But my aunt loved dolls and I did enjoy the doll collection she had.
I also tried to visit vets at VA Hospital 35 miles away. But they PTB wanted us to fill out too much personal info that we were not going to do. All kinds of private crapola.:eek:. I visited them in the 60s and 70s with no problem.
We have lots to do its just not being around people that gets to me. I don't want to go visit or be visited just be around th herd now and then.:)

I totally get the situation, Meerkat, and I believe you are not alone in the boredom and isolation. I believe it is probably a common this for older and retired folks. It is probably worse when you can no longer drive or even have transportation.

One of my grandmothers grew up in a home where playing cards was a thing. They had a large family and Sunday afternoons involved 4 different tables with card games going on. They played Whist, Canasta, Samba, Penochle and a little Bridge. When she and her sisters were older and most of their families were gone, they had two card clubs. Both met on Tuesday afternoons and alternated between a Whist club and a Canasta club. There were 8 players, two tables and they took turns hosting, with coffee and a dessert served at some point in the event. There were not always the same players in the two clubs, but the sisters were regulars in both.

My grandmother also belonged to a garden club. I never attended any of their meetings, but again, they took turns hosting. They shared seeds and plant starts and I know gave tours of their gardens. She had a great garden, in fact won an award. I think that encouraged each of them to help each other and to develop their own.

I started a crafting group about 5 years ago. I like to work with my hands and had several projects to finish. We meet 2 evenings a week and work on projects of our choice. It has helped me to finish many things. We are in a transition phase now, and I think we will not be meeting as often. We have a closet full of donated items: yarn, fabric, knitting needles and crochet hooks, sewing machine and supplies. I have met many people that way and it helps me to focus and get things done. At home, I am too distracted.

Many places have senior centers. All over South Dakota there are senior centers. People go there and have lunch and often activities. Some of them deliver meals to shut-ins, people who just cannot make it there. Also in South Dakota, there are shuttle services, for a small fee. You can arrange to get rides to and from events. They are very popular since there is no cab service in smaller communities.

Think about your interests. I know you like music. Maybe you can set up meet-ups in your community with open mike events? I have friends who are both musicians on the side, and they like to get together and jam. What other interests do you have that you could get together with others and share your common interests in one way or another?

Boredom? Let’s see…

I have always been a bachelor so anything that needs doing I get to do it or it don’t get done. I guess I have found ways to keep myself occupied without really thinking about it. But let’s give it a try.

Springtime = Garden time!

Nice days: Main focus is getting the ground ready, trellis’ up, final soil work then the other yard work chores.

Rain Days: Going through the seed box, digging out really old ones and seeing what I need to get in ‘just a seed crop’ of for next year. Go over the winter garden plan, redo it, redo it again… Play around in the shed, always a few projects in there. If nothing else clean off some shelves and see what needs attention/lubricating/cleaning. Whenever I hit the shed the day goes really fast and it seems like I accomplished nothing. Mostly it is just finding and doing maintenance of stuff.

Summer: Garden in the early mornings before it gets too hot. Harvest if anything ready and bring in. Some herbs should be ready so do some harvesting and drying. When it gets hot out: Crush herbs for tinctures or bag up. Take the dog to the lake, wet a line. Walk in the woods looking for miscellaneous plants and places where trees are ready to harvest. Can if anything is ready. Sit on the porch with a glass of tea just enjoying the view. Take a nap under the ceiling fan.

Rain Days: Sleep until it is actually light out. Make some music, spend time with the dog teaching new items and chores. Sit on the porch with a glass of tea just watching the rain refresh everything. Good days for harvesting also and preserving anything ready. I don’t melt in the rain and if it is one of those nice summer rains, it is pleasant to be out in anyway.

Fall: Garden time.

Almost always more than enough to preserve and keep busy. Usually really busy with herbs also, cutting bunching, drying. Make sure any outside projects on the house are done, after it starts to cool off. You know, all the stuff you put off because it was too hot over the summer. Get all the compost hauled and spread in the garden, get it ready for next spring.

Rain days: I usually need a day off so just relax, read, watch the boob tube, internet or take naps. Leave the door open for the pup so she can go run around in the rain, come back in soaking wet and muddy and shake by me.

Winter: In the south many days still nice enough to go fishing or just take the pup to the lake for a swim. This is the time of year for cooking. I will spend most of the day taking raw tomato sauce and making something or other out of it, simmering and tweeking it for most of the day. Same with a stew or soup. I use winter for getting compost ready also. All those peanut shells I accumulated and the newspapers I got from the recycling place. I crunch up the shells; pecans, walnuts… into small pieces, usually with a 3# hammer, just because it is fun. Peanut shells just with my fingers. I have several large grocery bags full from the year as I buy a 50# sack of raw peanuts and roast as needed all year. Pecans I buy all I can from the local markets. I tear all the newspapers into strips and shred all the junk mail I get all year. Music, learn some new songs or try to remember old ones. I used to buy a few large garbage bags of flue cured tobacco leaves from the local farmer and would spend time to de-vein, shred it all and bag it up. Take naps. Keep the puppy busy with projects. The pup is actually a great source of keeping busy by herself. We play hide and seek, guess what I am thinking of, where is this item, go hide that item… Actually, if you are really bored? Get a Labrador Retriever puppy, you will never be bored again. I am partial to basic black myself. You will find yourself wishing for time with nothing to do!

Ongoing things to do: Music, I play 5-string banjo. Whittle; find a few interesting pieces of wood and just go at them. I have made chains, the ball in a cage, abstracts… Write: I write some lessons learned, music lyrics, random thoughts and such. Just accumulate them in a big binder, maybe someone will read them one day, maybe not. Sew, there is always something that needs a few stitches. Fix stuff, always something there and remember… If it ain’t broke I can probably still fix it. Take the pup outside and just let her have at it. “Hey L@@K! A hole that needs digging over there!!” “Go find _____” (Turtle, mole, stick, toy…) I find endless joy just watching a Lab be a Lab. They attack life with such enthusiasm it is a pleasure in itself to watch.

I totally get the situation, Meerkat, and I believe you are not alone in the boredom and isolation. I believe it is probably a common this for older and retired folks. It is probably worse when you can no longer drive or even have transportation.

One of my grandmothers grew up in a home where playing cards was a thing. They had a large family and Sunday afternoons involved 4 different tables with card games going on. They played Whist, Canasta, Samba, Penochle and a little Bridge. When she and her sisters were older and most of their families were gone, they had two card clubs. Both met on Tuesday afternoons and alternated between a Whist club and a Canasta club. There were 8 players, two tables and they took turns hosting, with coffee and a dessert served at some point in the event. There were not always the same players in the two clubs, but the sisters were regulars in both.

My grandmother also belonged to a garden club. I never attended any of their meetings, but again, they took turns hosting. They shared seeds and plant starts and I know gave tours of their gardens. She had a great garden, in fact won an award. I think that encouraged each of them to help each other and to develop their own.

I started a crafting group about 5 years ago. I like to work with my hands and had several projects to finish. We meet 2 evenings a week and work on projects of our choice. It has helped me to finish many things. We are in a transition phase now, and I think we will not be meeting as often. We have a closet full of donated items: yarn, fabric, knitting needles and crochet hooks, sewing machine and supplies. I have met many people that way and it helps me to focus and get things done. At home, I am too distracted.

Many places have senior centers. All over South Dakota there are senior centers. People go there and have lunch and often activities. Some of them deliver meals to shut-ins, people who just cannot make it there. Also in South Dakota, there are shuttle services, for a small fee. You can arrange to get rides to and from events. They are very popular since there is no cab service in smaller communities.

Think about your interests. I know you like music. Maybe you can set up meet-ups in your community with open mike events? I have friends who are both musicians on the side, and they like to get together and jam. What other interests do you have that you could get together with others and share your common interests in one way or another?

Thanks Weedy, all good ideas will check on the library who invited us to a seed swapping events. And we did have a senior meeting here close by not sure if it is still on now. :Thankyou::thumbs:.

Boredom? Let’s see…

I have always been a bachelor so anything that needs doing I get to do it or it don’t get done. I guess I have found ways to keep myself occupied without really thinking about it. But let’s give it a try.

Springtime = Garden time!

Nice days: Main focus is getting the ground ready, trellis’ up, final soil work then the other yard work chores.

Rain Days: Going through the seed box, digging out really old ones and seeing what I need to get in ‘just a seed crop’ of for next year. Go over the winter garden plan, redo it, redo it again… Play around in the shed, always a few projects in there. If nothing else clean off some shelves and see what needs attention/lubricating/cleaning. Whenever I hit the shed the day goes really fast and it seems like I accomplished nothing. Mostly it is just finding and doing maintenance of stuff.

Summer: Garden in the early mornings before it gets too hot. Harvest if anything ready and bring in. Some herbs should be ready so do some harvesting and drying. When it gets hot out: Crush herbs for tinctures or bag up. Take the dog to the lake, wet a line. Walk in the woods looking for miscellaneous plants and places where trees are ready to harvest. Can if anything is ready. Sit on the porch with a glass of tea just enjoying the view. Take a nap under the ceiling fan.

Rain Days: Sleep until it is actually light out. Make some music, spend time with the dog teaching new items and chores. Sit on the porch with a glass of tea just watching the rain refresh everything. Good days for harvesting also and preserving anything ready. I don’t melt in the rain and if it is one of those nice summer rains, it is pleasant to be out in anyway.

Fall: Garden time.

Almost always more than enough to preserve and keep busy. Usually really busy with herbs also, cutting bunching, drying. Make sure any outside projects on the house are done, after it starts to cool off. You know, all the stuff you put off because it was too hot over the summer. Get all the compost hauled and spread in the garden, get it ready for next spring.

Rain days: I usually need a day off so just relax, read, watch the boob tube, internet or take naps. Leave the door open for the pup so she can go run around in the rain, come back in soaking wet and muddy and shake by me.

Winter: In the south many days still nice enough to go fishing or just take the pup to the lake for a swim. This is the time of year for cooking. I will spend most of the day taking raw tomato sauce and making something or other out of it, simmering and tweeking it for most of the day. Same with a stew or soup. I use winter for getting compost ready also. All those peanut shells I accumulated and the newspapers I got from the recycling place. I crunch up the shells; pecans, walnuts… into small pieces, usually with a 3# hammer, just because it is fun. Peanut shells just with my fingers. I have several large grocery bags full from the year as I buy a 50# sack of raw peanuts and roast as needed all year. Pecans I buy all I can from the local markets. I tear all the newspapers into strips and shred all the junk mail I get all year. Music, learn some new songs or try to remember old ones. I used to buy a few large garbage bags of flue cured tobacco leaves from the local farmer and would spend time to de-vein, shred it all and bag it up. Take naps. Keep the puppy busy with projects. The pup is actually a great source of keeping busy by herself. We play hide and seek, guess what I am thinking of, where is this item, go hide that item… Actually, if you are really bored? Get a Labrador Retriever puppy, you will never be bored again. I am partial to basic black myself. You will find yourself wishing for time with nothing to do!

Ongoing things to do: Music, I play 5-string banjo. Whittle; find a few interesting pieces of wood and just go at them. I have made chains, the ball in a cage, abstracts… Write: I write some lessons learned, music lyrics, random thoughts and such. Just accumulate them in a big binder, maybe someone will read them one day, maybe not. Sew, there is always something that needs a few stitches. Fix stuff, always something there and remember… If it ain’t broke I can probably still fix it. Take the pup outside and just let her have at it. “Hey L@@K! A hole that needs digging over there!!” “Go find _____” (Turtle, mole, stick, toy…) I find endless joy just watching a Lab be a Lab. They attack life with such enthusiasm it is a pleasure in itself to watch.

:LOL:Woody too bad your a bachlor, some woman lost at snagging you. And yes black labs are very playful and smart too. But also like to travel :chevy: we've had several and loved them all.
I'm kinda a people watcher so like places like downtowns but also like being alone just not all the time. Hubby always played music and wrote songs but now doesen't have any interest this past 2 or 3 years.:thumbs::green man:

Angie's ideas for service work in the community are great. Sometimes there's a group of ladies that make preemie hospital clothing, hats, blankets, little angel outfits for those gone too soon.
Have you looked into volunteering or being a paid assistant in schools?
Libraries offer book clubs for adults. I'd love to go to one where you'd be in attendance! Lol
County extension agencies offer various things, including the master gardener program.
By the end of summer in Texas I'm usually bored out of my mind too, weather-related, I'm sure.
We have a local organization that needs volunteers and donations that go to the elderly delivering packages of basics. We help with donations. They need drivers to deliver it too.

Meerkat, I also have going to the dog park as part of my daily routine. I have been to a few, and finally found one where people are very friendly. People meet up around 9 in the morning, stand or sit while dogs get some exercise and socialization. The ridgeback used to want to never leave, and as long as I could sit down in the shade, it didn't matter to me. It is a great way to relax, visit, interact with dogs, get to know people and beat the boredom. People and dogs come and go. The park we go to has two sections with a fence and gate between. Some of us have figured out when certain dogs come, it is time to leave. That doesn't happen often, but it is part of the learning curve. Dogs are entertaining!

I'm looking forward to being at home and doing home stuff because I'm still working a lot. I see my mom gets a little bored, and then gets in a bad routine like being up most of the night watching tv junk and drinking pop, and then just gets a catnap. It gets her back, though, because then she catnaps all day long. She lives in assisted living with her own apartment with lots of daily activities right outside her door. The only time she does much is when we're in town, and then it takes a day or two for her to acclimate to staying up in the day and sleep at night. Things I've made mental notes to do and not do when I retire: not to use the recliner for a bed, turn the tv off and only on a tiny amount in the evenings (play music instead), no junk food fests, get out and take a walk daily (if you don't use it you lose it), don't fill my house up with gobs of useless infomercial junk, and associate with other human beings (so I don't get weird). What's your hobby, Meerkat? I know it's music, but what else? It is difficult when you have a spouse that doesn't get around much, but it sounds like he still gets around. I like shooting and a lot of homecrafts and raising animals, just not the time to do it all yet.

Meerkat, I also have going to the dog park as part of my daily routine. I have been to a few, and finally found one where people are very friendly. People meet up around 9 in the morning, stand or sit while dogs get some exercise and socialization. The ridgeback used to want to never leave, and as long as I could sit down in the shade, it didn't matter to me. It is a great way to relax, visit, interact with dogs, get to know people and beat the boredom. People and dogs come and go. The park we go to has two sections with a fence and gate between. Some of us have figured out when certain dogs come, it is time to leave. That doesn't happen often, but it is part of the learning curve. Dogs are entertaining!
Oh goodness, this was not a good suggestion for you now! I just remembered your situation with your dog! I am sorry!

Another idea: are there any senior centers around you? One close to my daughter has all kinds of activities, such as bridge and yoga. You might find something that interests you.

Also, walking is very good for all of us. A daily walk may help lift your spirits and provide some interest.

I'm looking forward to being at home and doing home stuff because I'm still working a lot. I see my mom gets a little bored, and then gets in a bad routine like being up most of the night watching tv junk and drinking pop, and then just gets a catnap. It gets her back, though, because then she catnaps all day long. She lives in assisted living with her own apartment with lots of daily activities right outside her door. The only time she does much is when we're in town, and then it takes a day or two for her to acclimate to staying up in the day and sleep at night. Things I've made mental notes to do and not do when I retire: not to use the recliner for a bed, turn the tv off and only on a tiny amount in the evenings (play music instead), no junk food fests, get out and take a walk daily (if you don't use it you lose it), don't fill my house up with gobs of useless infomercial junk, and associate with other human beings (so I don't get weird). What's your hobby, Meerkat? I know it's music, but what else? It is difficult when you have a spouse that doesn't get around much, but it sounds like he still gets around. I like shooting and a lot of homecrafts and raising animals, just not the time to do it all yet.

Hubby and I do all the things you plan to do.
My hobby? Good question it seems to be work since we moved here 21 years ago. Before that it was entertaining grandkids and hubby up till about 15 yr ago.
Hubby and I do play rummy sometimes or boardgame Scabble.

:Thankyou::thumbs:

Another idea: are there any senior centers around you? One close to my daughter has all kinds of activities, such as bridge and yoga. You might find something that interests you.

Also, walking is very good for all of us. A daily walk may help lift your spirits and provide some interest.

Walking here can be bad for your health, too many nuts let their dogs run free. Had a coupel pit bulls chase me on my bike a few years ago. But these dirt roads will really give you a workout.

Walking here can be bad for your health, too many nuts let their dogs run free. Had a coupel pit bulls chase me on my bike a few years ago. But these dirt roads will really give you a workout.
Mace, bear spray or a pistol can take care of some of them. It just occurred to me that that is a prep we could all have in our pocket for people and animals.

Pit bulls can be dangerous, or not! How do you know until it acts out?

Mace, bear spray or a pistol can take care of some of them. It just occurred to me that that is a prep we could all have in our pocket for people and animals.

Pit bulls can be dangerous, or not! How do you know until it acts out?

Thats is a good idea to have mace or bear spray. Maybe a gun too. I told my daughters to take a gun safety course or at least carry bear spray , I hear that really works good.
Car may know about the bear spray?

I have some bear spray and it's distance is better than pepper spray. I hear in places where you can't have pepper spray, people carry the wasp spray, because it shoots a far distance. I would carry a pistol if I were you, Meer. Even a 22. Not fun to get dog mauled. My left hand is forever scarred.

I agree fishing.
Honeybees, wax & honey will keep you from boredom.
Books, internet, woodcarving,leather work, a little blacksmithing if you are up to swing a hammer.
hounds & horse are always good.
Shotgun is a must if you are a loner.
A good blade for back up.
A big Hound to back up the knife.

Back