Botanist Alvan Wentworth Chapman, 1809-1899

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patchouli

Gatekeeper
Staff member
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
@Peanut This article was written last month, found in the Apalachicola Times. Dr. Chapman lived in the Florida panhandle for many years and a botanical garden in Apalachicola bears his name. It sounds like a fascinating place to visit.
Chasing Shadows: A deeper look at Dr. Chapman
On amazon I found at least one book Dr. Chapman wrote: "Flora of the Southern United States," but it is also available on Google reads for free as an ebook. It is 655 pages.
On amazon, the publisher is "Forgotten Books." Perhaps you could also find this kind of stuff on "Project Gutenberg: Free ebooks".
Also of interest might be WorldCat. It is a library catalog that spans the world, created in the 1960s to enable libraries to offer many different collections of books, ETC. U of A
Also Hathitrust might have items you'd be interested in reading.
At the U. Of Alabama in Tuscaloosa, for $25 you can get a one year membership to the university library system. You can keep items out for 30 days but if a card holder requests it while you have it out, you have to return it with a 14 day check out period. I found that the University also has the book listed above by Dr. Chapman, electronically, and maybe hard copy. Some items can not be taken out of the library.
https://www.lib.ua.edu/using-the-library/circulation-services/borrowing/

Last edited:
Thank you @Patchouli for looking this up. I know what they have in the Tuscaloosa University library. That's NOT what I'm looking for. I want to once again see what is stuffed in basements of an old medical school like Vanderbilt University. They don't catalog the kinds of manuscripts I've seen at vandy for the library. They are not available for the pre-med students or public.

I really appreciate your efforts, thank you. Most of the university hospitals I've been associated with have materials that are only available to those seeking doctorate or special degrees and senior staff members. You have to know somebody to get your eyes on those items. It's been 20yrs since I worked in medical research. People die, move on to other things, my list of contacts is now very very short.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back